to the art of stealing blinds

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I'm having a hard time stealing blinds. I'd like to hear from you how many times I should try to steal blinds and how big should our bet be on the flop?

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't think there is a formula I can give you in order to successfully steal your opponent's blinds.Surely it is a vital play you should incorporate in your game if you want to enjoy some deep runs and maintain a relatively healthy stack!

Some things you should take into consideration before try stealing are down below:

-your late position image , how tight or aggressive your opponets think you are
-your opponents blinds , you don't want try stealing with a marginal hand of yours from an opponent who has a shovable stack (a stack which cannot 3bet with, so his only +EV move is the all in)
-how passive / tight are the players on the blind
-later positions are the perfect for widening up a little bit your range because you will have position against any defender from the blinds!
-stage of the tournament , some opponents tighten extremely near bubble , this is the time you should exploit that but ok not in every orbit!

If you keep open raising from LP in every orbit then a good opponent will fight back , so try to keep everything balanced.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
For me stealing blinds is easy if the players at the table are good players. Almost impossible to steal from bad players. So freerolls are not a good place to try and steal.

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
need to have a balance, bet on value is bluff !! when stealing the blinds, I pay attention, the player next to me if he is very safe and does not play anything .. I will 3bet him, force him .. if he pays much I need to adjust my range .. so this already works for me .

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stealing blinds is close to what you can earn by winning a hand. Sometimes depending on the size of the blind it does not even compensate the risk

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't bet the same size on every flop when you are stealing the blinds. After they call, you should play it like a normal hand, unless you know they are going to fold to a Cbet very often. Even then, you should be cautious because you'll end up checking back the turn, and folding the river to a stab a lot of the time if they call.

Your sizing preflop is really dependent on how your opponent is going to react. You want to bet the smallest amount possible that will still get him to fold too often. That could be 2BB. That could be 5BB. These kinds of spots you learn by being able to recognize what type of players are in the blinds, and then exploiting them.

Last edited:
zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the opponents at the table.

It is necessary to steal, only from those who allow it to do.

See the statistics.

:rolleyes:

A

Agusamc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think there is a formula I can give you in order to successfully steal your opponent's blinds.Surely it is a vital play you should incorporate in your game if you want to enjoy some deep runs and maintain a relatively healthy stack!

Some things you should take into consideration before try stealing are down below:

-your late position image , how tight or aggressive your opponets think you are
-your opponents blinds , you don't want try stealing with a marginal hand of yours from an opponent who has a shovable stack (a stack which cannot 3bet with, so his only +EV move is the all in)
-how passive / tight are the players on the blind
-later positions are the perfect for widening up a little bit your range because you will have position against any defender from the blinds!
-stage of the tournament , some opponents tighten extremely near bubble , this is the time you should exploit that but ok not in every orbit!

If you keep open raising from LP in every orbit then a good opponent will fight back , so try to keep everything balanced.

I do the same. If you are playing freerols, when the number of players left is close to the number they get the prize, almost always if you raise your bet to someone who has less chips than you, he/she fold. Try to do it when you have a "semi good" hand, because if the player have a really good hand he will go all in

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I do the same. If you are playing freerols, when the number of players left is close to the number they get the prize, almost always if you raise your bet to someone who has less chips than you, he/she fold. Try to do it when you have a "semi good" hand, because if the player have a really good hand he will go all in

Yes good point , but I think this applies no matter what stakes you are playing! :)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You should try to steal the blinds as often as your opponent allows you to do !!! if you are playing in a tournament then you should not do this often at the beginning of the tournament when the blinds are small !!!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, it is more important to try to play with strong cards and use your position at the table. If you are sufficiently disciplined, in the future, you will be able to receive a stable income from the game.