The art of folding

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's difficult to fold your cards in some critical moments in poker, especially against aggressive players because they are bluffing all the time, but sometimes they get a chance to have two or three good hands in arrow, so you need to be careffal when you play against dangerous players, and not hesitate to fold your weak pair if they put to much money.
You have to fold some good hands like A-K if you dont touch anything in the flop. Also you have to fold T-T or J-J or Q-Q if cards above comes in the flop, and that you see that your opponents are not ready to give up.
You have to fold T-T and J-J if raise and reraise happened before, dont be optimistical with those hands because this may cost you too much.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
Everything is not quite as you describe it. First of all, it depends on what you play, cash games or tournaments. Second, it is important to understand how your opponents play. And thirdly, you should always consider the position at the table.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, with the agressive player, are you willing to call 3 bluffs on the off chance this is the one time he has something?

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that folding is one of the absolute most crucial skills in poker, in large part because it’s a decision you face every single hand (unless you’re so short that you’re all in with the blind or ante). Not folding enough preflop can get us into really tricky (and totally avoidable) post flop decisions.

Having default opening ranges that we frequently adjust (primarily based on effective stack and the other players at that particular table) is a great way to mostly plug this potentially enormous leak.

Therminator

Therminator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a tournament player, while it does suck to have to fold smartly, I always tell myself it's better to have some chips than none even if I've given a significant amount of my stack to the pot when the realization hits me that I'll be done for if I keep going in.

Deedgee

Deedgee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hardest point to fold a premium hand, obviously, is before the flop. Let's say you have JJ or QQ. Under what circumstances would you fold those hands before the flop? The most obvious situation is if you're facing a five-bet, especially if you're, like, the second biggest stack at the table and the person raising you is the chip leader. I have no problem with seeing a flop. But I would be prepared to fold even if the flop produced all under cards. But this is very difficult.

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggressive player

agree you need to fold and not fall in love with your hand!

but another atleast necessary skill is patience - especially when dealing with super aggressive players on a row! just accept the player will nick some of your blinds and bets and most likely just bluffing, but you have the patience to wait for that monster hand the nuts or close to - and playing it right the super aggressive will double your stack - as you will have a hard time to tell if the super aggressive player bluff or not - the player will always pay up and try force you out, especially if you been paying a bit for a nuts draw earlier.

yeah the super aggressive player is a bit disturbing for slow move to ITM but will be gold if you got patience and fold your strong pocket pairs when only getting mixed flops

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really enjoyed this thread I have a huge problem folding, unless its an all in. So sometimes the person reraising all in, helps me save myself. good thread Note to self, fold mroe often.!LOL

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about commitment. I'm aggressive and get looser as i go deeper usually because my stack dictates this. Also means chips rise and fall pretty fast.

I think its pretty predictable when im against other aggressive players because you do the same over and over you see the little details in betting. :2in1:

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I struggle with this. I know I call more than I should. Even when I know I'm beat if my starting hand is really strong I just get this urge to have to see this hand. This is a losing play but has been a hard habit for me to break.

cyrilflorendooo

cyrilflorendooo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding a good hand is hard when you are facing a bluffer :( he sometimes has good cards too

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, throwing a strong hand is a problem for most players. Unfortunately, this problem does not pass by me, but I'm working on it)))

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In your previous post, you informed us how to play with a hand, like 7-2. Now you are informing us how to fold Q-Q, J-J. You have a very original approach to the game.
Good luck.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often fall for the traps of aggressive players, if you have a strong hand is difficult to lose, I think that the player is aggressive, he bluffs a lot, often makes big bets with weak hands, and then I came to the top pair or even 2 pairs, why not play, but no, the enemy is the hand stronger than yours. You just need to always remember, no matter how bad fish is not played but sometimes he also come in strong hands.

syarbouh

syarbouh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making sense the folding

I had made my own rule; If there is something in the table bigger than my cards i fold right away

Twisterman

Twisterman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's difficult to fold your cards in some critical moments in poker, especially against aggressive players because they are bluffing all the time, but sometimes they get a chance to have two or three good hands in arrow, so you need to be careffal when you play against dangerous players, and not hesitate to fold your weak pair if they put to much money.
You have to fold some good hands like A-K if you dont touch anything in the flop. Also you have to fold T-T or J-J or Q-Q if cards above comes in the flop, and that you see that your opponents are not ready to give up.
You have to fold T-T and J-J if raise and reraise happened before, dont be optimistical with those hands because this may cost you too much.

Sometimes you can fold to a final table... Did that several times. Go to the toilet right before the final table and wait for someone to call for you... haha ;)

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right. Folding is also a good feature. Many novice players are calling station.

Folding in Poker