Has anyone else come to this conclusion ?

P

Pillivey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game based on so many situational possibilitys that speaking generally and sharing poker hands is completely useless without any backround of the players and given situation . This sounds very basic but I continuously read poker content ignoring game play and player based reads. Countless questions about hands that can't be answered with only giving the blinds and given hand . Once in a blue there's a decent story with player tendenices and aggression factors but again few and far between . Anybody else agree ? Lol

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously the more poker knowledge you have the better. But a good read on an opponent is absolutely important. Having a good idea of how your opponent is playing or what type of plays they have made is a key element in using the the poker content knowledge and strategy you have studied. There is always a best way to approach a situation. This doesn’t always mean it’s the right way or will work. All we can do in poker is attempt to make the best decision.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Yeap, I totally agree with you , if a player provides only the basic info like position , stacks , phase of the tournament etc you can only extract a only mathematical based conclusion.

You can adjust your game based on the dynamics, previous plays with the same opponent etc , I find it very important but I think this is only applicable in higher stakes' mindsets. This is the reason why anonymous poker will eliminate any edge of the game a good pro has against recreational players.

Personally whenever I play in a MTT I observe everything for about 10-15 hands because I can't categorize everyone from a single play!

giraug

giraug

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with you, Poker is much more than maths.

Many factors affect the result of a hand, and most of them are not based on maths, but in players, in game play.

Though statistics gives you a base on your odds, playing the mind can be much more decisive.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yup, this is why I generally stay out of Hand Analysis and Situational Analysis threads. My answer is universally "it depends". And I feel that no one is in a better place to determine the right move than the player in that particular situation. This applies especially to live hands. The immeasurable amount of live tells that the player has picked up on, conscious and subconscious, have the majority of the weight of one's decision in any situation. That is, beyond the math that is known and quantifiable, and to which almost everyone should agree.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good point, I actually avoid answering or commenting on those type of questions. So many situations of the game are displayed, hands, bets, style, etc that to be frank I get bored. You just gotta be there and remember when you are playing you don't get to see your opponents cards until play is over, and that is only sometimes. You just gotta be there and read and play and either play so well that you win a tough hand, or lose to the nuts or just a better surprise hand, or simply luck out (that includes both you and your opponents).

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eh if it is a live poker game without background then the thread is stupid. Sometimes players give specific action without just cutting pasting garbage that says everyone posted their ante.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowing the table dynamics and history on the players there is great information to have. Not sure if you're separating that aspect from sharing a hand history? When sharing a hand there should be blinds, stack size, position and where you are relative to the money. If not posting that information it is worthless to post.

Kanetuck

Kanetuck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yup, this is why I generally stay out of Hand Analysis and Situational Analysis threads. My answer is universally "it depends". And I feel that no one is in a better place to determine the right move than the player in that particular situation. This applies especially to live hands. The immeasurable amount of live tells that the player has picked up on, conscious and subconscious, have the majority of the weight of one's decision in any situation. That is, beyond the math that is known and quantifiable, and to which almost everyone should agree.
You make a great point here. I think we all just need to add, "This is true as long as there are no other reads on the opponents at the table," to the end of each analysis. The big factor here is the subconscious factor. And I think the subconscious factor is actually an important reason to participate in hand analysis. Perhaps the subconscious factor is some live perception of body language. But what if it is really just 3 or 4 huge bad beats that are more powerful in your memory than 20 small wins? If it is the latter, it may take hand analysis to bring a leak to your attention. So, I agree that there are too many factors involved in a hand to definitively say you should always play a hand like this. But if you find yourself playing against the odds more often than not, it might point to some negative programming in that subconscious. I don't consider myself advanced in my skill set enough to have all the positive EV plays be automatic yet. But I feel like the difference between being in the top 30% and the top 10% will come from finding those hidden leaks in the subconscious.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game based on so many situational possibilitys that speaking generally and sharing poker hands is completely useless without any backround of the players and given situation . This sounds very basic but I continuously read poker content ignoring game play and player based reads. Countless questions about hands that can't be answered with only giving the blinds and given hand . Once in a blue there's a decent story with player tendenices and aggression factors but again few and far between . Anybody else agree ? Lol
You're right that without detailed information then no one can give the "correct" answer on what you should do with a given hand. The thing is that poker is not a solved game by any means. There is no "correct" or optimal answer and there never will be because of what you say: there are so many possibilities and situations that the game cannot be as simple as Tic Tac Toe for example. What players do is approximate what they think is the best answer in the given situation with all these circumstances in play. This is the quintessence of a great poker player: the ability to recognize, analyze and make the correct decisions based on all these small and large factors at a given moment. So what we can learn from posting hands and seeking feedback is adjust our mistakes for future reference so that we can improve and plug our leaks.

K

kbolding7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more knowledge of players and situation i always feel is better but ultimately how much it makes a difference for a player i believe is dependent on how GTO a person plays. There are optimal decisions and there are exploitative decisions and i believe that it is important to identify and distinguish between the two first before any conclusions are made.

T

thaliko86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the definition is very pertinent, because poker is first and foremost a game of people. I realize that the game has evolved in a vertiginous way and with that many players have also been dedicated to this process of evolution. I believe that the deck is just the "basic introduction" of the game, since today many other aspects are taken into account in each spot played, not for nothing so many theories have been created in a way directed to each mode. Now what I apply in NLH will not always be applied to Omaha and so on and the cards themselves are the least important factors. If I consider poker as a game of skill, reasoning and consequently strategy I can not maintain the micro view that depends only on a good flop, turn or river; I can (and should) understand that the cards are a preponderant factor only post-flop and that from there victory or defeat will depend on my actions.