All-In Preflop: Pocket Aces

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing some tournies today and I've noticed something that just kind of gets on my nerves.

A couple of times today I've seen a player go all-in preflop with AA early in the tournament when blinds are still low and stacks are still even and no one has even made a minimum raise in front of you. Each time they've won hardly anything, a few peoples blinds but that's it.

I'm not talking about late in a tourney when blinds can get to be high compared to your stack, I'm talking early on when you could make a great amount of them if you play them right.

And I guess I should be thankful. Atleast I'm not losing to them. One time today I folded AJ suited to an AA all-iner. That was first hand of the tourney even! While it's not a hand I'm highly confident in, if he had done a small raise and an Ace had come up on the flop, he could've slowplayed it and won a couple hundred from me.

I don't know what it is that bothers me about it. I'm just sorry to see people making hardly anything off what could be a great hand to improve your stack with. Don't be one of these people! Make money with AA! It only loses once in a while, contrary to popular belief!

Jon

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People have seen their AA get shot down in flames soooooooo many times that they're content to get anything they can out of it, even if it's only tiny blinds. Also, very early in a tournament, they recognize that the maniacs are still at the table, chomping at the bit to go all in with anything. It's actually not that bad a spot to step out with the early all-in. You're about as likely to double or triple up on the fish and knock them out as you are to just drag 15 chips in blinds. Especially if it's a rebuy tournament or freeroll. I personally would prefer to play it a bit closer to the vest, as you suggest, and try to get some more people involved in the hand. But I can't throw rocks at the AA 1st-hand all-in. I've done it myself a few times, for the reasons previously stated.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do this. Not so much in the private games, but in the open freerolls at Absolute. Did you ever notice how a field of 2000 gets whittled down to 1000 in the 1st 1 or 2 levels of play? There are always callers trying to get an early jump and a high pair all-in is a good way to double up quickly. If your out, your out and there's another freeroll starting in 10 minutes.

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True, and I guess you guys are right when it comes to bigger tournaments. I was personally talking about smaller multi-table tournaments consisting of anywheres from 30-100 people. There usually are not as many maniacs ready to go all-in with a mere J-10 or A-9. :p I should've clarified that, because I have also gone all-in first hand with an AA or KK a couple times in large freerolls because you're right...There are almost always people looking to double quickly without having much of a hand. That's always great. :D

Jon

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive been cursed with AA everytime i play them slow i get beat,so i decided that when i get pocket AA its all-in,if nobody calls then im happy with the blinds, just last week at one of our tourneys at cc i got pocket AA in the big blind and checked,flop came something like 4 8 3 I checked again, someone went all-in so i called and he caught his straight on the river a 2 he was holding A 5 and i was gone in the first five minutes and this happens to me 80 % of the time when i slow play them,i would rather have A K, there are more outs with A K. ok gl at the tourneys>>> buckster436

J

JonSherwood

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd never check a big blind if I had AA, you're just asking for someone to catch something. Raise it man! :) Be careful of flushes and straights and know when to fold your aces and you'll win 90% of the time! :)

I lost with them earlier, a flush draw came on the board so I bet high to try and weed out any chasers but one called and hit his hand on the river. Nothing you can do about things like that. Sometimes you'll get a fish and sometimes they'll fold it. :)

Jon

max_barry

max_barry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree, theres so mnay freerolls going on that, people want tp double up ot go out, if you go allin early, it is likely you will geta caller, so it is not always such a bad idea.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think too that a lot of the ones who go all-in with AA (or AK, AQ, AJ, etc. or any pocket pair, low or high for that matter) are most likely newbies. I know because I used to do the same thing when I first started playing! lol I soon found out that pocket deuces were not all-in material :p , and that if you play your aces correctly, you can bilk your opponents for all they're worth! True, I have been outdrawn many times and lost, but a lot of those beats were due to me being too stubborn to fold my hand when the other player obviously had a flush, etc. to beat me. So yes, you have to realize that AA is not invincible when you play them, and know that sometimes, to play smart, you have to know when to fold those bad boys and not be blinded by the beauty that is Pocket Aces! lol :love:

P

Poker Player 100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i do that alot

I see A A im first to act i go all-in

P

Poker Player 100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ theres no way ull ever win

R

reekah

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I still like to slow play my aces, even though I do lose with them occasionally.

I

Inger05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't knock that style of play, its their choice. If it works for them that's all that matters. You just gotta play your own style...

stunno

stunno

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I got them 3 times on Thursday, in 3 different tourneys and lost on the river every time!

I was called by Q4o 84s and 33 and lost to trips twice and a straight

M

methos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with you, not the way I'd play. Make a big enough bet to scared out the people with nominal hands, call an all in if you have to, but bet all in? 1/3 of the time no one'll call and you just blew your chance to win any money, 1/3 of the time someone gets lucky and you lose. It's just like any other good pocket hand. Betting your entire game on it pre flop is not a bright move. Too many people think AA is a guaranteed win, but it s maybe 40% of your hand. If you're actually serious about playing the game, not the way to go. But too many people start out with freerolls, where they pick up these bad habits, and, of course, too much TV, too many people thinking all-in is the killer move. All manly and aggressive. :rofl:

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just raise 3-4X the BB. Usually you will get a couple to a few callers with a bet like that when holding pocket rockets.

L

laraspal00

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the tournaments I play in, there are some that are overly ambitious that they go all in on the first hand.

Today, I was a victim of being over ambitious. I had pocket kings and the blinds were starting at 5/10. So I raised to 20. Someone else raised it so I reraised to 150. the other player went to about 1100. Being that I hand a good hand, I did so, along with 4 other players. Two Queens come on the flop and seeing that I and others had only 80 left, I went all in. They followed suit. One of the players had another queen, and on the turn another queen popped up. So even if I had a full house, I was out on the very first hand. Not one of my better moments.

Pat

W

wudegod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh MAN i've been there too.. USUALLy it's KK that i go all in with,, and that heartbreaker ace turns up,, you dont even HAVE to ask if someone's got an ace, there's always someoen who rides an A-? os till the end.

J

JBILLINI

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All in preflop bingo players

Only bad thing about the freerolls are the bingo players. OH well cant complain it's free but sure is annoying.
JBILLINI

T

teemoh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well alot of the time people make this move of moving all-in very early with AA to make it seem like an extreme overbet, there are always people that will call w/ ace-rag suited or KJo, very marginal hands, and actually sometimes they crack aces. its annoying but what can you do. especially in 3000 people sit n gos

U

UncleChuckle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to get killed on pocket aces. It's my bogey hand. Haven't been playing long, but I've learnt to fear the aces. When I get them, a deep sense of dread washes over me. 9 times out of 10, the hand will bite me and I'll lose. Someone will get a spectacular hand to coincide with them. Getting rather irritating.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In one freeroll I got pocket Aces 2 hands in a row. I was pretty short-stacked when the ol' AA arrived (4-5 BB), so I just pushed them all in, and got 4-5 callers. The hand held up to give me an above average stack.
The next hand I get AA again. I can't believe my luck! There's a number of callers, so I make a fair sized raise, most players fold, and one reraises it. Other people have all folded, so it's just him and me, so I figure what the hell, and push all-in. He calls, and I realise he's the chip leader at the table.
Cards are turned over, and I'm happy to see something like AT, so his cards are fairly dominated. Well, the turn doesn't pair his cards, the turn's a blank, and the river makes him a straight to put me out - after the first pocket aces I could probably have made the money and got a tiny starting stake at Absolute just posting and folding, but no, I had to believe the cards were running hot...

B

bredman4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learned the hard way a few times with poket AA, and i do think i pays off sometimes to slow play it and try to make the most you can out of it, especially when you get that person that calls your all in pokets AA with something like J 9, cause they think its a good hand, and the flop comes Q 10 8..you get screwed, just have to know how to control yourself with the all ins with poket AA

Scouse

Scouse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JonSherwood said:
I've been playing some tournies today and I've noticed something that just kind of gets on my nerves.

A couple of times today I've seen a player go all-in preflop with AA early in the tournament when blinds are still low and stacks are still even and no one has even made a minimum raise in front of you. Each time they've won hardly anything, a few peoples blinds but that's it.

I'm not talking about late in a tourney when blinds can get to be high compared to your stack, I'm talking early on when you could make a great amount of them if you play them right.

And I guess I should be thankful. Atleast I'm not losing to them. One time today I folded AJ suited to an AA all-iner. That was first hand of the tourney even! While it's not a hand I'm highly confident in, if he had done a small raise and an Ace had come up on the flop, he could've slowplayed it and won a couple hundred from me.

I don't know what it is that bothers me about it. I'm just sorry to see people making hardly anything off what could be a great hand to improve your stack with. Don't be one of these people! Make money with AA! It only loses once in a while, contrary to popular belief!

Jon

I reckon it bothers you, because you see people wasting a good thing. You are a regular Samaritan.

D

dopeychick

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces my nemesis

the last few tournies ive played in aces have been my downfall, No matter how i play them i seem to loose:(
Ive tried slow playing them but usually get flushed, ive been aggressive but been called and gone up against pocket 2s 4s etc and guess what they hit a set!!!!
on a free roll at pitbul poker yesterday i worked my way through a 290 field took me a few hours, playing premium but aggressive, and mixing in a few connectors etc, just getting close to the bubble and i hit pocket rockets, a brass band went off in my head, i was already picturing myself being chip leader, woo hoo, so i went all in before the flop, i was on 14k, feeling confident but big bully chip leader called me with 7, 10 off suit and you guessed it he hit the straight on the river, wham bam thank you mam my tournie was over, lol
so next time i see rockets there being launced into space, lol
dopechick:hello:

MackemMan

MackemMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Interesting stuff guys. I'm fairly new to poker and every little tip helps. My main problem is not when it's me raising, re-raising or even going all-in. It's when the numpty (or numpties before you go all-in and your'e sitting with pocket rockets. You can't just fold them (never have and never will before flop). You gotta call. 80% of the times I have been beaten. How fair is that?

Still, I do slow play a lot of the times I pick them up (once the all-inners have gone from the tourneys) and they still seems to get beat. Must be my luck lol.

MackemMan