Alcohol

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I have played poker completely sober, semi-under the influence and completely drunk. Personally, I have found that I play my best when I am sem-under the influence. By this I mean that I have had enough to relax me and loosen me up to the point where the stakes don't matter to me but not to the point where if I lose half my stack in a freeze out I am oblivious to the the affect alcohol may have had in determining a negative ev situation. My question is this this. Is it the same way with a majority of the cc community? We all know Scotty Nyguen was out of line in his Inaugural Chip Reese Trophy win, but at what point does it go beyond etiquette? At what point does it go beyond overall positive ev versus overall negative ev?

KINGSIN

KINGSIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do it if it helps you, i play better on domes, so im with you, it melows you out so you get a emotional detachment, allowing you to make the correct stratgic play, not give off tells(live play). Also after about 8 hours of play, i start to get board, and just want to start shoving like a maniac, but being on domes, keeps me melow so i dont switch on the self destruct button.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Back in the 70's and 80's there was a pro who won one ME wsop who was known for playing with a glass of whiskey by his side. Doyle Brunson said the fellow (Bill Smith) played too tight when sober but under the inflluence he was a dangerous opponent. He was dangerous enough to win it all in 1985.

I personally would never play while drinking. I would post on cards chat while drinking but that's another story. :)

Bwammo

Bwammo

DragTheBar Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm on the live tables you will never see me without a drink. I tend to get wild drinks and make sure the table knows that I'm drinking. Quite often people will ask me what I'm drinking and i'll make sure I answer loud enough for the entire table to hear me...I want them thinking I'm just another drunk a-hole.

The reality is I time the alcohol intake to make sure I never reach more than a small buzz and I'm secretly pounding water when no one is looking. Unfortunately...sometimes I've gotta bail mid tourney and run to the bathroom. It takes a special kind of talent to hit the head and return before the dealer folds your next hand.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have lost my entire BR because I CONTINUED drinking while playing online. I have stopped drinking at home because of this. My problem - as I have stated before - is that a drink makes a new man out of me, but that man wants to play poker and cant. But seriously, I play a live local tournament and will have a few beers, but pace myself and its no problem. On my computer, I pop one after the other, and soon start playing like an idiot. And I do stuff like play higher stakes to recap my losses, we all know how that will end. I do agree that a small buzz helps to make that risky play that we know we should cause we are playing to win, not just get ITM, but when stone cold sober, we sometimes play scared. But since I have repeatedly shown myself that I wont stop at 3 when online at home, I stopped drinking at home. I still run the danger of coming home after drinking and my PC is here, and that still happens ( I live in Munich, the Oktoberfest was expensive for me, as you dont come home from the fest just a bit buzzed.........groan) but I am actually not drinking at all at the moment, and it is only because of poker lol.

And lol at the running to the bathroom before you are dealt out. I have it pretty good in my local game as the bathroom is 30 feet from the tables. so I can usually make it. I also have an understanding with the barmaid there, and she brings me alcohol free beer on signal, so it looks like I am downing a lot of beer when in reality it is 2 or 3, and at the moment I only drink the alk-free stuff. I prefer it to water simply because a lot of players dont drink, and I want them to think I am.

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah everytime im pretty drunk i always feel that i will make all the right moves and play tightly and aggressively and follow strict brm and do some good table selection, but what usually happens is ill follow this for the first 20 minutes and start to think im a bit more invincible and start raising A10 UTG and chasing flush draws left right and centre, and it usually ends on calling an all in with top pair and losing! So now i dont play when im really drunk but i do play after a bottle of beer of two as i think i am a little more relaxed and can just stick to my game which i think is a fine thing to do.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play way way better when i'm buzzed.The problem with me is that i'll only stay at the buzzed point for a little while before i down another 10 or so.Also i remember someone saying this i don't know who did."The good thing is i play great when i'm drinking an not so much when i'm not.The bad thing is i play great when i'm drinking an not so much when i'm not."No one wants to be the local drunk at the tables or at there own house...Maybe me but thats about it:)

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have lost hundreds of dollars while playing drunk online. I would not reccommend it at all.

isohatedis

isohatedis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would have to agree with the original post that if you only have a certain amount of alcohol it improves my play BUT even just a little too much drastically disimproves my game

intiekkeko

intiekkeko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone will make their own minds up about this one lol some will agree some will disagree

personally I dont drink during play however if you know your level of drinking and can stop before you become effected by drink and just have enough to mellow out then it would be ok like I said each to their own on this one

inti

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The optimal amount of alochol to consume before/while playing is the same amount you would insist your surgeon consume before operating on you or one of your loveed ones.

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can agree with dwolfg about a little drink helps to ease the tension when I playing. Mostly in tournaments though. This is where I feel the most stress and I have one drink to take the edge off. Any more then that and I will in the long run will become sleepy and not be able to finish the tournament or worse I will begin make some real stupid plays.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't need to drink to be more aggressive since I'm agressive enough playing sober.

During one of the the live games fletchdad mentioned I managed not to drink a sip - in an Irish bar, lol.

I enjoy some herbs from time to time while playing - doesn't seem to affect me too much, though.

WhiteYoke

WhiteYoke

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy some herbs from time to time while playing - doesn't seem to affect me too much, though.

That's another interesting topic :stoned:

On the original one though, I'm with the people who play better after a drink or two. But after three it kind of starts going downhill :D

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think I play better after a few drinks only problem is I can't just have a few, normally drink on a Friday & Saturday night then it comes to a point at about 10.30 where I'm half cut & really fancy a game.

loads of times I wake up the next day and wonder where my roll went :eek:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
pretty sure it's -EV to anyone who's halfway decent baby. Pretty sure Scotty plays as good or better not under the influence too baby.
pretty sure it'd be difficult to have an 'objetive' opinion of one's own play while under the influence (what may appear as 'playing better'.. might not be 'better' at all... baby)

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I played while drinking in the last 2 CC games and have placed, I agree I think drinking takes an edge off, but too much and you will lose. I like to get drunk and play online, so what I do is play poker stars 10 cent games, see this way I can play drunk and think im doyle without losing my bank roll. LOL I had a party last night and was really buzzed and played a 10 cent game and won 40 cents, go figure.

When I play live I get buzzed then just drink straight ice water. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THE BATHROOM IS. CHEERS.

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The optimal amount of alochol to consume before/while playing is the same amount you would insist your surgeon consume before operating on you or one of your loveed ones.

I'm in this camp myself. But I really like it when the other players at the table are drinking... That seems to improve my game greatly! :D

Last edited:
suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I built my bankroll from freerolls and lost my first few small rolls because of alcohol. Id win some change or a couple bucks in a freeroll, take it to the $1 STTs, built up to around $20 3 or 4 times, then proceeded to give it all back while drinking. I try not to play at all anymore when Ive had some drinks and my bankroll has never really looked back.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have been playing for last year without any alcohol. Also gone as far as not playing when my work day has gone bad and haven't unwound yet. Found that works the best for me.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh its shocking, getting in from the bar in the evening and feeling the need to try and outplay those players in the MTTs well outside of my BRM.

S

squawlakeslim

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just enough is OK but one too many makes some people feel too invincible

joe steady

joe steady

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL I had a party last night and was really buzzed and played a 10 cent game and won 40 cents, go figure.
balla.:D
I think it's different for everyone. I was drinking beers last week during the CC freeroll and ended up taking it down. I wasn't drunk, but I wouldn't have been drinking if I had to play a HU match against someone for $$$.

A

AUPhoenix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just enough drinking to take the edge off will help most folks. My problem is once I start I can not seem to stop thus I never drink will playing.;)