Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What hand gives you more confidence when it comes to an all in? If you could choose between AK off suit and 22 ... After having been on both sides many but many times, I have seen statistics and the odds laugh in my face several times. What is your choice between these two and why?:)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If I know the cards before we go all-in: 22 because it is a favorite against AK.

If we do it "blind" like in a normal tournament AK because you are only dominated by KK and AA.

One of Amarillo Slim's Hustles was to ask you to choose between 44, AKo and JTs and then he picked another hand all-in.

44 beats AK. AK beats JTs. And JTs beats 44. So he could pick a winner after you what ever you chose

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, 22 is a favorite against AK but is it a favorite against an opponents calling range? I think too many times I would get called by a higher pair and even with AK, AQ its a race.

It would be interesting to run the Simulations but as for confidence, have to go with AK.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mean if you were putting me heads up against someone and I got to pick if I got the 22 or the AK, I am picking the 22.

If you want me to call an unknown hand with either one, I am picking the AK.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would pick AK because it dominates other Aces. It only loses to AA and KK (which are also blocked by our hand), and its basicaly fliping against any pocket pair (little underdog actually).

On the other hand, 22 doesn't dominate any hand, and its dominated by any other pocket pair, and its flipping against any other hand (except 2X).

Even though 22 might have better equity than AK if 2 players go all in with these hands, I think we need to see how each one performs against an opponents range.

In poker, transivity does not always happen.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most players, and high-stakes professionals always choose AK, although any pocket pair has a better chance of winning. Strange, why so ?
An interesting question: do you know that the opponent has an AK on his hands and he puts all-in, which hand is more likely that you will call, with 22, with 99, or QQ ?

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
In the game, an important role is played by luck and luck. AK I will often bring down in the bank, and 22 rarely reverse. At this point, you play at intuition, your position at the table and depth of the stack

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I ll rather take AK if it is all in case

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you mean on random hand ak but i would only in desperate or heads up type scenario if you mean akvs22 ....22....I'd rather start any competition already winning. It's up to them to make pr not always easy.:icon_thum

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most players, and high-stakes professionals always choose AK, although any pocket pair has a better chance of winning. Strange, why so ?
An interesting question: do you know that the opponent has an AK on his hands and he puts all-in, which hand is more likely that you will call, with 22, with 99, or QQ ?
I say this all the time whats the difference between 22 and QQ if you put them on ak?.....0

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
22 no point in all-in. max call. such a clumsy hand... even the fumes on the Board are easy to kill. АК much preferable

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They are equal hands, I feel better with AK more potential.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The probability that the pocket pair 22 on the flop will become a set is 12% . The probability that either of the two pocket cards will collect a pair on the flop is 32% . Therefore, younger couples are not always profitable to play. AK gives me more confidence for a long distance, so I will continue to play my poker.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, without a doubt AK is a better hand than 22. Obviously, with AK you have a better chance of getting a good combination on the flop.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably go with AK. If either pairs, you've beaten the deuces. Also, there's draw potential.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I prefer AK. Obviously, this is a stronger hand than 22. Although, it is all relative and depends on the skills and experience of the player.
Good luck.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course it's AK. The probability of deposition 2 is very small. Out of 10 cases in 9 you will lose with 22 vs AK, on the Board will fall 2 or 22, еhat's 1% out of 10.%. The only time you can win an AK is if you don't get an A or a K. This is approximately 2.5% out of 10%. Yes, it still depends on what opponent you play.

Last edited:
Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
It is clear that if we know ahead of time then ... 22 will have an advantage of winning an all-in against AK ... however if I had to choose where I don't know which hand the opponent leads ... I would play an all- in with AK ... and I wouldn't do it with 22

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK, for sure!

With AK, most of the time, you'll be in:
50/50 against smaller pairs like QQ-22
70/30 against smaller aces AQ-A2
65/35 against -2 random cards like QJo, T9s, 86s etc.

30/70 against KK

With a 22, most of the time you will be in:
50/50 in a coinflip (at best)
20/80 against pairs like AA-33

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my choice would be AK because there are two overcards against the worst pair in the game

L

lincs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A K wins in every situation (pre-flop) if you're playing the outs game.
But, A K loses value (in my mind) for every hand (prior to the current) within 4 hands or so- that had an Ace on the board.

I think that seeing the Ace on the board on the the past 3 of 4 hand would make pocket Duce look Much stronger.

My theory could be total hogwash though. But as always with a question like this. There just not enough info to make an informed decision. At face value though A K wins

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always like AK. Although I did not calculate which is better.