AK good enough to go all in preflop heads up?

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is AK a good enough to get it all in preflop heads up. 250 bb each against an aggressive player preflop

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
AK is a very big hand HU. Normally if you aren't willing to play aggressive poker HU, your gonna get rolled.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NO, not 250bb deep unless you are against a spew tard.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
250bb deep hmm

AK plays super well postflop deepstacked, no need to ship it in, dont have much more to add than that. Answering questions like this in detail truely are impossible without more information on villian.

Kasanova King

Kasanova King

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably not if you're even stacked unless villain is a super loose, over agg. maniac - who cold easily be holding A-rag.

Best to try to see the flop if you can.

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes and no. 250 BB deep in a cash game? You really think he's trying to get it all in with ANYTHING that you have beat? More likely KK or AA, MAYBE QQ/AK. But in an SNG where you are slightly less deep than that, certainly possible. And anything below, say, 100 BBs, I'd consider pushing (but probably would have to deeply consider calling a deep push)

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
call and see the flop, AK can be played better with a flop than before it
and 250bb deep surely will give you better chances after the flop

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is certainly worth a raise or a re-raise. It really depends on how the villain plays. If this guy is always shoving or raising preflop, I would shove or call a all in preflop. It depends on the situations really.

K

kAAzENBRE

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK ALL IN ?

Well with AK its a really a great chance for you to win.. But its depending on your stack and his stack if yours is low then ofc you should do it. Ofc its also a chance that you mighy miss the ace and the king and he will hit lets say 9s then your in a really bad situation. You should go and try to eat his blind up and then kill him off with a trap ;)

dontshiveagit

dontshiveagit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you could probably argue AK all-in in 2 situations. if you have enough chips that the call from the other person going all in wouldnt hurt too bad or if your dieing for a double up which is what i think you mean, AK is a monster hand. I myself am not all about the preflop all-in online poker style but it works for some

M

mig2169

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is the worst played hand in poker history, except those donks who think 10-2 is playing like brunson. Situation, Situation, Situation. There are tomany factors heads up to giveout in a blog.

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In HU SNG at lower limits against a player who isn't to nit I ship it in whit AK.
But at cash hu I think is better not to get in to many flip situation deepstacked

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In HU SNG at lower limits against a player who isn't to nit I ship it in whit AK.
But at cash hu I think is better not to get in to many flip situation deepstacked

Not sure if it was just a bad choice of words or not, but anyway...

It's not flipping for stacks that is the problem. If that were the case then we take the flip because it's +EV (there's money already in the pot).

The problem with getting AK all in pre-flop when deep is that as stacks get deeper shove ranges become very narrow. Think of it as the opposite of a tournament, as the blinds are getting higher it becomes correct to play for stacks with all sorts of marginal hands that you would have folded in the early stages. The deeper the stacks, the bigger the hand you need to go all in.

It's not that AK is flipping, it's that AK is dominated by a narrow shove range.

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if it was just a bad choice of words or not, but anyway...

It's not flipping for stacks that is the problem. If that were the case then we take the flip because it's +EV (there's money already in the pot).

The problem with getting AK all in pre-flop when deep is that as stacks get deeper shove ranges become very narrow. Think of it as the opposite of a tournament, as the blinds are getting higher it becomes correct to play for stacks with all sorts of marginal hands that you would have folded in the early stages. The deeper the stacks, the bigger the hand you need to go all in.

It's not that AK is flipping, it's that AK is dominated by a narrow shove range.

yea.
Thats was the ideea in my head too.

I'm not native in english and I need work on my exprimation

D

dan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why if you want a coin flip flip coins if you want to make money playing poker bet when you are ahead AK is NOT a made hand!!!!!!

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just an ace, you dont need that king, throw it away. Go ahead.

L

Leatherass

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to offer my perspective on this as I think that most people in this thread are greatly undervaluing how big a hand HU AK is. I would ship AK in preflop HU for just about any amount of money. If you are playing super low stakes, it is possible that you may not want to get all of the money in if you are 200bb deep or more, but I would say if you are under 200bb deep, get all of the money in preflop if necessary at any limit.

If you are playing higher stakes, then it is even more of a no brainer no matter how deep you are. Because once you are deep, people will 4 and 5 bet you really lightly preflop and you can have fold equity shipping the money in postflop. So it depends a lot on the ebb and flow of the HU match, but I am usually inclined to play for stacks 300 + bb deep preflop with AK.

If you are 100bb deep, it is really not even close. You should be doing a Tiger Woods fistpump if your opponent is willing to get the money in preflop when you have AK. :D

steak vegita

steak vegita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ace King just won 52 $ off me heads up last nite.. I had pocket queens first hand and he had ace king. He raised all in right off the bat.. I thot he was just an idiot with the money to lose so i called..... He got a king on the river!

Cristhian

Cristhian

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The hand is good but it is much the pot the truth in my opinion I would expect a little

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would depend on my chip stack.
If I was really short stacked, yes. Any other time, not so much.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 250bb I prefer to see the flop and outplay the enemy on the later stages. With short to medium stack move in is ok.

Johnny78B

Johnny78B

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
AK is perfect hand in HU with short stack. With 250BB if your opponent is very aggressive I would go all in, because he will not give you a chance for slow play with other hands anyway.

Swat1197

Swat1197

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All in with Ak good vs aggressive if he goes and you call but deep 250bb to raise all it's way to fold from your opp

G

goozfrahbah

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're in a donk fest freeroll it is lol, some guys just sit there and jam 5/2o preflop every hand just to be obnoxious

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
AK- I think this is not the hand with which you can go vabank, I adhere to the rule: do not be greedy, and everything will be fine, vabank is tantamount to playing roulette