The advantage of aggressive play

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With aggressive play you can make too much money, but not everyone can make it correctly, because the aggressive players are easily tricked by the clever opponents.
I am going to talk only about the advantages of playing aggressively :
1. Your opponents become afraid to bluff you, so every time one of them raise or reraise you know that he have a good hand.
2. The players think that you are bluffing all the time, that's why they get trapped easily when you get a big hand.

G

gersom

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the most correct way to achieve higher gains would be tight-aggressive. Knowing the time of FOLD. Outlining long-term risk management and strategy!

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing agressively basically creates more option for you to win, for example, when you are agressive, your opponent has less option wich is, call fold or reraise then you can still act after that, but you have to option of taking the pot right then, see how he reacts and also lose the minimum by folding, most of the time when you are agressive means that you have control of the game or hand.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
I agree with number 2 because if you bluff a lot you can also value bet thinner and more often.

But number 1 doesn't take long to figure out. If you are in a lot of hands with a weak range (since you play and bet a lot) you often don't have a hand strong enough to call a raise so people should both trap you with strong hands when you bet (since you are aggressive when people check and call) AND also bluff you if you fold to often when they raise.

If you start to call more often we can bet more value hands again and bluff less.

It's not 2003 anymore. If you start to play LAG and isn't very good, you just come to a gunfight with a knife. Or to spell it out: you come with a weak range against a strong one (or several strong ones) too often.

L

likesithere

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agro

my way is to be tight and be very aggressive in my play and betting but to play only very strong hands in the early part (cash games) people will label you mentally as tight agg this gives you free reign to bluff all you want later. JUST dont overdo it.

rfbh54

rfbh54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can bluff scare your opponent that you have a good card and control the game.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With aggressive play you can make too much money, but not everyone can make it correctly, because the aggressive players are easily tricked by the clever opponents.
I am going to talk only about the advantages of playing aggressively :
1. Your opponents become afraid to bluff you, so every time one of them raise or reraise you know that he have a good hand.
2. The players think that you are bluffing all the time, that's why they get trapped easily when you get a big hand.

Very good points, but do people online even pay attention to who there playing against?

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good points, but do people online even pay attention to who there playing against?

That's a good point, because if they aren't paying attention then you just fall into fancy play syndrome.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It would be nice if you talked about the disadvantages too. As for example, it is enough for an opponent to get a good hand and then let you just put the chips inside. Of course I do not defend a passive role, but I think everything has its nuances and it is important to know how to discover when to act in one way and when in another. For example, in the ACR steps it is full of "aggressive players" trying to throw you out of the pot with horrible bluffs. It is as important to be aggressive as selective, and also know when to be careful with your bets.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you believe that "With aggressive play you can make too much money" then you're likely to lose a lot of money. Even being aggressive when you believe you have the best hand (which is an excellent strategy) will put you through a lot of wild swings due to variation, but being aggressive for the purpose of intimidating your opponents is a losing strategy overall and especially in freeroolls and at microstakes tables where people base their play mainly on the cards they are holding and have little respect for aggressive players.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They call it "bingo" playing... the truth is, if you are going to win a tournament, the others have to get beat... everyone has to lose but you... IF YOU WANT TO WIN...
It is highly improbable a conservative player will win in a big tournament.

Last edited:
jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They call it "bingo" playing... the truth is, if you are going to win a tournament, the others have to get beat... everyone has to lose but you... IF YOU WANT TO WIN...
It is highly improbable a conservative player will win in a big tournament.

I have seen players in cardchat tournaments that have a VPIP of less than 10%, almost rocks, and win very often. There are times to be loose and moments to sit and wait for a really good hand, especially in tournaments.