A poker tell(".)?

Jam Castro

Jam Castro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been reading articles about poker everyday and watching poker videos; and just last week, I concentrated on poker tells...
...on how to spot one
...how to know if it's only a bluff or not
...things that you really have to know and spot once your on the poker table.

But one thing really caught my attention when I was watching a video about tells. A poker player said that "by just looking at your opponents neck, you'll know if he's bluffing or not". That just gave me a thought and wondered... ...How am I going to do that?
...is that really possible?
...hmm...I tried it to my girlfriend...but I was having a hard time spotting it unless you'll to look closer.

Even if it's possible...how are you going to know if that's a bluff or not:confused:
Need help:(! any thoughts, advice or tips will do and will be appreciated a lot:).

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this (".) in your title some sort of secret code :questionm

P

pagatos

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never heard of that before but would be interesting to know what it meant

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tells are over rated

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just saw a WPT event that had one guy say that this other guy always blinked alot when he was bluffing. Wouldn't you know, he was setting him up for when he had a monster hand. LoL

Bernard Pugi

Bernard Pugi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is hard to do. I think you have to palpate it. LOL. But how will you know if he's bluffing or not? Is it if he's going to swallow is saliva? LOL. Better get myself a scarf.

trucker103

trucker103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just saw a WPT event that had one guy say that this other guy always blinked alot when he was bluffing. Wouldn't you know, he was setting him up for when he had a monster hand. LoL

dont know about tells but tell ya what like your easter outfit lol.

A

akaCLINT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you got to work out the tells by yourself, player for player...
it even works online..., in parts...
articles and videos are only going to help you in terms of which possibilyties there are...
GL
aC

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ermmm shot in the dark but u have a main blood vessel in ur neck and if u look at it and it's beatin fast (bulging?) is he bluffin? Bcos of high blood pressure bcos its a neverious moment?

Jus a random idea on ur thread on "look at the neck"?

F

Flushbuster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree every game has a different set of characters in it, so it is hard to come up with a universal tell. Although a couple of tells I look for are double takes of cards if players have a strong hand, and players organizing their chips sometimes signals a big hand also.

Nickmond

Nickmond

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to focus more on betting patterns...you play with someone long enough, you should be able to figure out how they play different kinds of hands. Physical tells are less universal, and don't help at all when playing online obviously.

NoWuckingFurries

NoWuckingFurries

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you play with someone long enough, you should be able to figure out how they play different kinds of hands.
That must be very useful if you are playing cash games at the same site against the same people, but in tournaments you tend to be moved from table to table quite frequently.

I

ihavea4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think that tells are useful when you really understand them and know how to use them. obviously if someone says they know what you have by looking at your neck, that does not apply in every situation. a good book i read dealing with tells is "read 'em and reap" by Joe Navarro. i personally like to try to read betting patterns more than tells because i think they are more reliable.

S

Shafan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The look at the neck i think it's connected to the veins and blood.
When someone is bluffing the guy most likely be nervouse, the blood goes fast and the veins are bigger, and if you look on the neck, you can see it i guess.
I don't know about the tells, but i'm trying to get to showdowns with small amount to see how the others plays, and then read them later on.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is interesting i don't think i would rely on the neck tell too much because some people sit certain way no matter if they are bluffing or not but their eyes and and hands won't be the same so i think those tells are more important.

BDDP

BDDP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tells are a HUGE part of live play. It is something you have to practice watching for. Studying videos and books is important to get you on teh right track but you have to watch people very closely for very subtle hints. the more you do it successfully the more you can rely on your assessment. When you first start looking for tells, you have to take them all with a grain of salt because the tendency it to imagine tells because you're looking for them. The tell about looking at the neck does suggest seeing the heartbeat in the carotid artery. if you were to pick up on a difference in a player based on that alone you'd have to ask yourself (and it would vary player to player) if it were beating because of being nervous to get caught in a lie, or out of anticipation of the monster they were hiding. The best time to catch a tell is as the new card comes out. Watch the players as the card hits the table, not the card hitting the table. You will catch more in that split second than you ever will once they've had time to digest the new information. As far as all the negative comments on tells, i can tell that most of you are strictly online players or only play live once in a while for a fun quaint little home game. Live poker is almost ALL about reading players. If you want to improve your knowlege of tells, check out Carro's Book of Tells. A great read even if you're not convinced it's effective.

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tells work. Get outside poker and look for
books or cd's by ekman , alexander, and if you are really really serious about tells find slyan tomkins books, the four volume set. I will not give you all the secerts but you will in a live game double your hourly rate.

BDDP

BDDP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
rugby, you sound like you appreciate the skill of reading tells and are serious. Do an internet search for the John Reid and Associates Interrogation Seminars. The Army put me through one a few years back for tactical questioning. It not only paid huge dividends in the Army, It reeally paid on the card table. The seminars are designed to teach interrogators how to tell if someone is lying. They are expensive but worthwhile.

K

kittykatt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmmmmmm makes you wonder why more cops don't retire and play poker for a living then...this end of the game would seem to be pretty easy for them

white_lytning

white_lytning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i can tell that most of you are strictly online players or only play live once in a while for a fun quaint little home game. Live poker is almost ALL about reading players.

Your wrong on me. I am the complete opposite. I don't like online poker because it takes the person out of the game. I play strictly 2/5nl live, over 100 sessions last year. My negative comment was made because a lot of new players get the (Hollywood like) idea that everyone at the table has a magic tell that they can read and know exactly what hand the person has. Its a totally unrealistic approach to tells, and to understanding the basics of the game and body language.

Beginners should worry about playing their own cards, basic pot odds and probability, and hand strength relative to position. Tells are nice, but they are completely overrated. I highly doubt that you have doubled your hourly rate by your mastery of tells.

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the post "learn the game first". Then through experience you can perfect your skill at spotting tells at the live tables. It takes time. Mike Caro, "the mad genius of poker", is the expert, so read his books and watch his DVD's, so you'll have a good idea what to look for and also for spotting false tells. There are a lot of sharks out there so pick your "tells" wisely and always watch the players, not the cards...

pokertoi

pokertoi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure about the neck thing. A rapidly beating vein could mean that a person is bluffing (I guess) and hopes everyone will fold, or it could mean that they want you to call because they're not bluffing and have a monster hand that's going to take all your chips. I've been fortunate enough to meet some of the same players at sites I play often on, I take notes on them and I tag the bluffers, sharks and donks.

Gorblid

Gorblid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that tells are overrated (movies fault), and i wonder what you can tell about the neck of people is it plausible to see more blood pressure at the neck? i think no...
Two tells that i noticed pros relay and try to cover is the eyes and the breath, I believe it is possible to practice noticing breathe changes and get a tell by it, if you disagree i would like explanation why pros (like chris farguson) covering they mouth and nose with their hands, i heard that when you get more adrenaline you start to breath with your mouth not sure about that, and what about the sunglesses i wonder why pros play with this sunglasses, do you know any eye tells?

Poker Tells