Can a non-US citizen play online in the US?

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I'm a British citizen living in the UK who is in the process of applying for a job in New York which would obviously mean me relocating if I were to get it. I'm aware of the restrictions based on the US players at the moment but I don't fully understand all the ins and outs of the situation. Is there a US-wide ban on playing online regardless of your nationality? I'm not a hardcore poker player by any stretch of the imagination but it would be annoying to suddenly not be able to play just because of moving country.

PS I realise I have now jinxed myself and given myself no chance of getting the job!

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, US IP's are blocked, so it doesn't matter where your account says you're from, it's also where you're located.

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, but hey, a job is a bit more important than poker, right?

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some sites that still allow US to play. The merge netword is okay for now, bodog, and there are a few others.
Good luck

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What if you live very close to the Canadian border?

Could you play if you use a very long extention cord?

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What if you live in canada right over the border, but steal your wifi from your neighbor in the US? It should be ruled by GPS coordinates.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you're in the US, you become a US player so you can only play where US players are welcome.

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What if you live in Canada right over the border, but steal your wifi from your neighbor in the US? It should be ruled by GPS coordinates.

Hehe, is this possible? Nice one if someone gets away with it

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
US Citizens and US IPs both are blocked.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
US Citizens and US IPs both are blocked.

Really?
How do they block the US Citizens?
I know its just a detail, but I get this funny picture in my head when I think about it.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Really?
How do they block the US Citizens?
I know its just a detail, but I get this funny picture in my head when I think about it.

Feet, shoulder width apart, knees flexed, head up, hands inside shoulders, standard stuff unless your Conrad Dobler.;)

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That wasn't funny....

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You can play on sites open to USA players

Some that I use are Carbon, BoDog and most recently LuvinPoker.

LuvinPoker is way best of the three mentioned (my opinion)...customer service is the best yet and when you use Pic-Club for deposits, the withdrawal process is instantaneous with a "click" of your mouse. They have the most freerolls and small buy-in MTTs (beginning with $0.01) of any site I know that's available.

Hoping to see you on the felts, Wally :D

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't tell the poker room that you moved out of the UK, use a VPN that gives you a UK address when you play, and cash in and cash out through a UK bank account, you will be perfectly fine.

You will also not be breaking any law, btw. UIGEA does not apply to UK banks, obviously.

shiver

shiver

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do they still hold your bank rolls? & can US citizens access their accounts from another country?

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Merge, Cake, Everleaf, Bodog and more still accept US players, which is what you will be if you play from witin the USA. There are a lot of skins for these networks, except Bodog, which is unique. For example, Merge skins include Carbon, Felt Stars, PDC, Bonitas 365 and more. Cake has a lot also. Everleaf has a few. Also, you can play on the subscriber sites like NLOP or WPT where you play for free or pay a monthly fee and get entry into better tourneys. Good luck. :)

pricecube

pricecube

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the comments guys. It sounds like there are loads of places for US-based players to play as long as they aren't trying to play at Full Tilt or Stars. If I do end up moving to the US then I suppose I could just cash out my Stars BR and redeploy it at some of those other sites mentioned. Hopefully all the FT/Stars stuff can be sorted out soon so everyone can get back to playing where they want.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's the IPO that counts, u'll be screwed like the rest of us

O

Oil_Fan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not citizenship that counts but residency. I'm a Canadian living here in the US and I have to follow the US rules. Also Carbon is no longer accepting any new US based players.

Now what you could as has been mentioned, is do your deposit while still in the UK. Then use VPN to tunnel to a friends home network back in the UK to play. And of course maintain a UK bank for withdrawals and such. A bit overly complicated but it could work.

Or just setup an account while still in the UK and make your deposits with a US friendly poker room.