Is a break in Poker Good?

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really believe as human beings we are designed to need some deviation from the norm. A machine can do the same thing every single day and not suffer, the human brain has to have something different to focus on from time to time. Of course how much, and for how long depends on the individual. The most successful people seem to be the one's that can really grind through long periods of single mindedness but those people do not seem to be the most "satisfied" or the most "peaceful" or content. So as in most things, it appears poker players do need time off ??? I think we all know that somewhere inside.

Doblador bus

Doblador bus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IF OF COURSE, BEFORE IT BECOMES AN ADDITION

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I found taking breaks has helped me in multiple ways. After a break I certainly come in a lot clearer and focused and I usually do my best right after a break. I usually take 1 or 2 days off a week to recharge my batteries and come back strong.

A

Ametist17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I took a break about six months, and everything is excellent!

C

cjhanas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Breaks are always good, it's just if you have the ability to take a break, as I do not :)

Sevendeuceoff72

Sevendeuceoff72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I need one. That doesn't mean I take one

P

peterpam

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes the break really helps because you can use the washroom or grab something to eat or drink or even just stretch.

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just going to take a break, a bad luck (

I

ianleel

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think its a good idea to take a break

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definetely, get some rest to your brain for a few days or week improves your game, well, in my case it does :)

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Some people says that on the break u can analyse your game and improve it, but I must say that if the breaks doesn't exists (synchronized, very important), many people dies at the tables for never stops to play.

meagain00

PokerNuts01

PokerNuts01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its a very good, a break is always needed. Helps a lot for concentration, without concentrations no good decision!

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in good times, a pause can hurt our game as we have been getting good hands and winning. In the case of coming with a negative streak, a pause always helps to calm nerves, anger and to be able to return from the quietest and most thoughtful pause. Regards!

scorpi224

scorpi224

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it is really good because you can refresh your mind a bit and can think of something other than loosing your money so i suggest to do that

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Breaks in any business are needed. They refresh your head. When you play for a long time and constantly start to get hung up and make mistakes.

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that in good times, a pause can hurt our game as we have been getting good hands and winning. In the case of coming with a negative streak, a pause always helps to calm nerves, anger and to be able to return from the quietest and most thoughtful pause. Regards!

That is really truth,the pause is helping to think over our game and fix some leaks and mistakes,it is also can be used as a way of building our play in order to the players at the table!!!!:)

pashkawell

pashkawell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Break will never interfere. In a break, you can put your thoughts in order. Or do exercises for the eyes.

boomboxcafe23

boomboxcafe23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course brakes are good especially after you lost a significant portion of your bankroll or a bad B. It's always good to get your mind off of things

evan20002

evan20002

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when you are losing with KK and AA, you better take a break and relax until you feel good.

S

sonebrate996

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Break is good, at least to go to the toilete :D

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think breaks are just necessary.People just get tired.And physical fatigue leads to a nervous breakdown.To play 10-12 hours a day is a lot.In this game to win even difficult.Fatigue is distracting.We must do everything wisely and to play and to relax.

A

Ametist17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To do a break - it is very important!

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Pauliefromgoodfellas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes staying a few days or even weeks without playing can refresh your head? I see for myself, sometimes when I do not play for a few days, when I come back I get a better mind and I make more correct decisions. It looks like it's filtered and I can play better. With you, is that so?

I do not think you will play better after taking a 3-week break. Cooling off after big losses and lucky wins isn't a bad idea, though. To clarify, your threshold for taking a break after big lucky wins should be very high. Basically, if you find you are changing your play based upon recent wins/losses and not in a way that allows you to better exploit your opponents it is break time...however even if you are shifting your play to a less optimal strategy if your opponent is on tilt you will have a huge advantage so you should continue playing in that case. Just understand that the threshold for your opponents going on tilt may not be the same as you. They may have just lost 5 coin flips in a row which would annoy almost everyone, but if they are 10 tabling this probably isn't going to tilt them a ton.

GRANDPAPA929

GRANDPAPA929

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it is not permanent your income the break must be.
Maybe I'm wrong, but even great players give themselves a break for a few months.