8$ Into 10,000$ - Challenge
As many of you have seen by now there are many poker players (Chris Ferguson, Daniel Negreanu, etc.) who have been doing this as of recently. That is turn a little bit of nothing into a lot of bit of something. I thought to myself if they can do it why can't a non-pro do the same thing if he put his mind to it. Now I am NOT a beginner so do not try this as your main source of income if you haven't been doing for while! But I am no pro either. Thus I am doing this as a statement that anyone can succeed at poker with just a little bit of patience, some skill and a little luck.
My challenge? I will be turning 8$ into 10,000$ in TWO months time. Why 8$? 8$ is 200BB of the smallest stake on the site I will be playing (explained later) I will be implementing some similar rules as these pros but I will also be implementing some other rules to maximize profit some of which include multi-tabling among others. My intention is to make this an everyman challenge for the everyday person. Anyone can do this!
The following are the rules I will be adhering to;
1. Site of Play - I will be playing my games at Reefer Poker. Now I know some of you are laughing. But my intention was to play at a smaller site in order to show two things. One - Some people don't have a choice in where they play especially if they aren't willing to invest money in poker. Two - I want to prove that you can succeed at playing no matter what site you play at, not just the lucrative ones. For what it is worth I was a coin flip away from choosing Cake Poker
2. Types of Poker - I will only be allowed to play NLHE and PLO games. These are the two most common forms of poker that are played for real money
and thus I will be sticking to those. Any other games will be prohibited. (I still love HORSE, Omaha 8 and Badugi)
3. Types of Games - I will be strictly playing Cash Games and SnG tournaments (Depending on my mood). MTT tournament will be for the most part prohibited except for special circumstance games such an extremely juicy money added tournament or a big guarantee tournament.
4. Promotions - Any promotions from the site that I unlock will be added to my grand total. Any promotions I may have unlocked before will not and all cash from that will be cashed out right away to keep from ruining my running tally.
5. Bankroll Management - I will be adhering to the standard bankroll management guide. For cash games I will need 500 BB to move up a level and if I fall below 250 BB then I will move down a level. For Sit n Go's I will need 50 buy-ins to move up a level. If I fall below 25 buy-ins then I will have to move down. For special MTT I will need 75 buy-ins to move up a level. If I fall below 50 buy-ins then I will move down a level.
6. Misc Cash Game Rules - Except for the beginning where I will be playing a short stack strategy the buy-in for cash games will be the maximum amount. If my stack at the table ever exceed 25% of my current bankroll I will be forced to leave when the blinds reach me.
7. Time Frame, Conditions and Prizes - I am trying to get this done faster then ever before so I have set a lofty goal for myself. I will be doing this in TWO months time. During this two months I will be living my life as always (I am a student) and doing my daily activities but I will be spending a substantial time playing poker. Also I will be cashing out periodically to simulate living expenses to make it harder on myself (this will be my discretion). If at the end of two months I have made it to 10,000$ bankroll then I will have completed my challenge and the prizes will be set as follows. 1,000$ will go to a charity of forum voters choices (I am blogging on several different forums) and I will be donating 1,500$ in poker bankrolls as I see fit. I don't know how I will award these yet but supporting my challenge and posting never hurts.
And that is my challenge. If you have any thoughts or ideas I would love to hear them. I will be blogging my play and adventures on all forums (including this one) and sharing the things I learn as I go along.
Good Luck on the felt,
Tyler "CowboySquirrel" Horspool
P.S. If you want to follow my play my screen name is CowboySquirrel1987