5 Steps to Ensure You Are Having Fun While You Play

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I posted this in response to a question in a different thread of mine, and I wanted to share my thoughts in a separate thread. This is for any player that got into the game of poker for fun. Remember, fun is the first step to joy. I'm an advocate for not taking life too seriously, and to be present and enjoy nature's gifts. Be here now, because today is happening now. :)

I noticed the way to make sure the fun remains in the game is to:

1) Only play games you are properly rolled for.

2) Remember that money is an external, and having more and more of it will not provide anymore happiness or fix any "problems."

3) The key to happiness is internal, by choosing to do moral good.

4) Locking myself in a room and playing poker hours on end, away from my family is not choosing to do moral good. :D

5) Beware of the poker player fallacy which sounds like this, "If I made $50 playing for an hour last night, I should play 10 hours tomorrow so I will make $500. Imagine all the money I can be piling up, if I only had more time to play poker." This way of thinking is madness, and it makes you a slave to poker. I'm trying to remain free. :)

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I posted this in response to a question in a different thread of mine, and I wanted to share my thoughts in a separate thread. This is for any player that got into the game of poker for fun. Remember, fun is the first step to joy. I'm an advocate for not taking life too seriously, and to be present and enjoy nature's gifts. Be here now, because today is happening now. :)

2) Remember that money is an external, and having more and more of it will not provide anymore happiness or fix any "problems."

4) Locking myself in a room and playing poker hours on end, away from my family is not choosing to do moral good. :D

5) Beware of the poker player fallacy which sounds like this, "If I made $50 playing for an hour last night, I should play 10 hours tomorrow so I will make $500. Imagine all the money I can be piling up, if I only had more time to play poker." This way of thinking is madness, and it makes you a slave to poker. I'm trying to remain free. :)

Sounds just about right.

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, nice job putting that together. moderation in all aspects of life is a good starting point.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are different approaches to poker. For some it is hobby and fun for the free time, for other gambling and for third group it is job. For me it is one of my hobbies so i play it when i have free time for fun so i fully agree with you. For people though that play poker for living as a job it is normal to play for hours and hours at least 5 days in week just like we do in our normal jobs.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
All great points, thanks for sharing. Playing within limits, gaining joy from the game rather than the pursuit of purely profits, and recognizing the important things in life are all very valuable messages to keep in perspective when playing this game we all love (or love to hate at times).

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are different approaches to poker. For some it is hobby and fun for the free time, for other gambling and for third group it is job. For me it is one of my hobbies so i play it when i have free time for fun so i fully agree with you. For people though that play poker for living as a job it is normal to play for hours and hours at least 5 days in week just like we do in our normal jobs.

Yes, very good point regarding poker as a profession. The implication is that I am speaking to non-professionals, just like you deduced from my post. :)

My conclusion regarding playing professionally, is that I would not want to pursue it as a career. I am very grateful I am able to say these words, as I am one of the lucky ones who was able to obtain an education and am now an accountant. I understand circumstances are different for every person, and many pursue the career of professional poker player for various reasons. I'm certainly not insulting poker as a career, or saying it is impossible to be a professional poker player and also be happy. What I do believe, is that many people pursue the career for reasons they believe are right, but they are slightly confused about what is the true good. :)

People always do what they believe to be right, the trick is being correct in what we think is right. Putting our impressions to the test and getting to the truth of everything, that is the goal. :)

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thank you for your post. This is very true and I find I get caught up in these negative mindsets often. I will actually refer to this in the future. Great post.

Good Luck To All:cool:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good point. I think everyone understands that poker is not the main thing in our life. But I would like to be a successful player.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very well said.
If you have kids and a family, poker is not the best choice to make a way of living.
Besides a lot of people thinks, it'a a very hard way to make money.

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember to stop and smell the roses. and stop and enjoy the aces! Life is what we make it!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe not moral good but that’s when I’m happiest so where does that fall?

I'd question whether or not we are using the word happy in the same way? For some people (hedonists), happiness is derived from the pursuit of pleasure and the aversion from pain. Perhaps when you say you are happy when you are locked in a room playing poker isolated, you really mean it provides you with (temporary) pleasure.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your post. This is very true and I find I get caught up in these negative mindsets often. I will actually refer to this in the future. Great post.

Good Luck To All:cool:

Wonderful!

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd question whether or not we are using the word happy in the same way? For some people (hedonists), happiness is derived from the pursuit of pleasure and the aversion from pain. Perhaps when you say you are happy when you are locked in a room playing poker isolated, you really mean it provides you with (temporary) pleasure.

Nah, probably means I should get a divorce.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friend good advice. The'm going to apply myself, it is true to play a lot you away from many things. regards