321 Holdem

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a thing? Anyone heard of 321 PLO? The way it works is you get 3 flops dealt choose one, then 2 turns, and then 1 river.

I was wondering if there is a holdem equivalent? It seems like it would add a lot of interesting layers of strategy.

How do you guys think strategy would change? Do you think variance would increase? Or would the extra information balance out variance and even reduce it?

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/plo-variant-pot-limit-omaha-3-2-1-26713.htm

It seems like a very interesting twist with a choose your own flop mechanic, which is something I've always wanted to design in a poker game thinking it would increase skill edge over luck. This seems like one way of doing that.

ps: the rules say you can choose any flop at showdown and any turn, but I'm wondering how game mechanics would change if you pick one on the flop and have to stick with it, the added info would allow for skill edges to show through I think and also allow for some creative bluffing.

Last edited:
Baba Orielly

Baba Orielly

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Baba Orielly

I believe the more common name for the game is called pineapple:)

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the more common name for the game is called pineapple:)

Haha, thanks, I was always wondering what pineapple is.

Now imagine a variant where you have to lock your flop in after you see the three flops.

F

flanylpant

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sounds interesting, always up for new forms of poker

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This type of poker is very interesting. I understand that this modality does not yet apply for 2 cards, but it would be a major challenge to put it into actual practice.
With more cards on the table, the variation in the game increases a lot. But it is compensated by the number of outs, since they also decrease. Therefore it is a game where we find more weighted bets towards the board and with a bit reduced ranks structures, but a greater polarization than in normal PLO.
Greetings.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This type of poker is very interesting. I understand that this modality does not yet apply for 2 cards, but it would be a major challenge to put it into actual practice.
With more cards on the table, the variation in the game increases a lot. But it is compensated by the number of outs, since they also decrease. Therefore it is a game where we find more weighted bets towards the board and with a bit reduced ranks structures, but a greater polarization than in normal PLO.
Greetings.
Thanks, love your analysis :D. Do you think picking one flop and being forced to stick with it would increase skill edge and iron out the higher variance? I think it would

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks, love your analysis :D. Do you think picking one flop and being forced to stick with it would increase skill edge and iron out the higher variance? I think it would

In reality the variance could be the same but the perception of the ranges may change a little, because we know the other textures that are also present on the table. Which could serve to discard combinations from the rank of villains. At least we can intuit that "it is more probable that" or that" it is less probable "because the general texture contains those values.
The skill I think could be achieved with a lot of practice and for this I think that the modality would have to be expanded with a good dissemination campaign, so that ordinary people can access a new type of poker. After all, marketing was able to make Texas Holdem the most prevalent in the world. It would be necessary to see the opinions of the players on this subject and how is the level of acceptance, player traffic, etc. I think it's a good idea this modality.

S

Stingray101

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a thing? Anyone heard of 321 PLO? The way it works is you get 3 flops dealt choose one, then 2 turns, and then 1 river.

I was wondering if there is a holdem equivalent? It seems like it would add a lot of interesting layers of strategy.

How do you guys think strategy would change? Do you think variance would increase? Or would the extra information balance out variance and even reduce it?

https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/plo-variant-pot-limit-omaha-3-2-1-26713.htm

It seems like a very interesting twist with a choose your own flop mechanic, which is something I've always wanted to design in a poker game thinking it would increase skill edge over luck. This seems like one way of doing that.

ps: the rules say you can choose any flop at showdown and any turn, but I'm wondering how game mechanics would change if you pick one on the flop and have to stick with it, the added info would allow for skill edges to show through I think and also allow for some creative bluffing.
Your better off playing Money Card 321, more power to the player.

Greetings.
Better to play Money Card 321, less variance, more power to the players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules