$100K Solitary Confinement Prop Bet: Was it Legit?

JonSofen

JonSofen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For those who haven't followed this story we've covered here at CardsChat, let me share a few links:

https://www.cardschat.com/news/poker-player-rich-alati-prop-bet-74781
https://www.cardschat.com/news/rich...-settlement-of-solitary-confinement-bet-75353

Basic gist of the story is a couple of poker players made a crazy prop bet that one of them couldn't live in what is essentially solitary confinement for 30 days.

Rich Alati is the individual who bet $100K he could pull it off. He received even money against Rory Young.

After 20 days, Young allegedly worried that he was going to lose so he offered a $62,000 buyout, which was accepted by Alati. And the bet was completed.

Less than 2 days after apparently spending 20 days in confinement with no human interaction, Alati was back at the felt competing in a WPT event.

He told a reporter he was shopping around interview offers from various media outlets. There's obviously nothing illegal with that or even immoral, but I've noticed some people on various poker forums and Poker Twitter are a bit skeptical about the legitimacy of the bet.

What do you all think about this? Do you buy into the conspiracy theory that the bet never took place and these guys were just doing this for publicity/money? Do you feel it was completely legit and the conspiracy theorists are totally out of line?

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think the condition of total darkness with no way to track time makes the bet seem more difficult/potentially impossible. This opens it up to conspiracy theories. I would like to know how they communicated the deal to end the bet. In addition to the food deliveries, this would be the only contact (and potential light) documented in the stories of the bet. How could anyone get a read on Alati without seeing and talking to him?

Plot or legit bet, if it was a scheme to sell a story, they are well on their way.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully these guys go broke and arent around the poker scene in 5 years. Bets like these are reckless financially they promote idiocy. Just my IMO