An74dy (MP): $2.26 (113 bb)
Ups I Do It (MP+1): $2.00 (100 bb)
Gugaenzoizo (LP): $3.22 (161 bb)
415jqdub (CO): $2.00 (100 bb)
LUM_LUM177 (BU): $4.39 (220 bb)
xyct777 (SB): $1.93 (97 bb)
devz_07 (BB): $4.58 (229 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.03) Hero (Ups I Do It) is MP+1 with 8 8
petrisps365 (UTG) raises to $0.07, 2 players fold, Ups I Do It (MP+1) calls $0.07, 4 players fold, devz_07 (BB) calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.22) 8 A 2 (3 players)
devz_07 (BB) checks, petrisps365 (UTG) checks, Ups I Do It (MP+1) bets $0.12, devz_07 (BB) calls $0.12, petrisps365 (UTG) folds

Turn: ($0.46) K (2 players)
devz_07 (BB) checks, Ups I Do It (MP+1) bets $0.30, devz_07 (BB) calls $0.30

River: ($1.06) A (2 players)
devz_07 (BB) bets $0.60, Ups I Do It (MP+1) calls $0.60

Total pot: $2.26 (Rake: $0.08)

Showdown:
devz_07 (BB) shows K A (a full house, Aces full of Kings)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 45%, Flop: 6%, Turn: 9%, River: 100%)

Ups I Do It (MP+1) mucks 8 8 (a full house, Eights full of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 55%, Flop: 94%, Turn: 91%, River: 0%)

devz_07 (BB) wins $2.18

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop, flop and turn are obviously fine. On the river you should have jammed all in for value. Sure he can now have a better boat than yours, but its way more likely, he just has trips. AK should have 3-bet pre or check-raised the flop, A8 is almost impossible, because you block it, and if he can have A2, then he can also have A3-A7 as well as A9-AQ.

A bad player is certainly able to donk lead the river with just trips, and its very unlikely, he is going to fold to a jam. So while just calling saved you money this time, you are missing out in the long run, and this is never ever a fold. If he is bad enough to play AK or A2 like this and cooler you with a better boat, good for him.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the pre-flop I like the call, after getting the set I probably would have checked / called on the flop waiting for the turn to try to induce the UTG to bet with that turn I would have done just call and then if the BB makes a raise I would have done all-in at that moment, this is the way I would have played the hand, I don't think you could escape losing your money, since the hand lost it with a lot of bad luck on the river

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Obviously you can't fold a full house on this kind of board to a relatively small donk bet.

If I go all-in depends on that type of villain is, and how deep we are. If he is very weak, tight and passive I can make an argument for just calling.

Also if we were deeper I don't want a re-raise (and most players don't call a raise deep without the nuts on the river.

But a least a call and if little left all-in.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I go all-in depends on that type of villain is, and how deep we are.

Stack sizes are shown in the hand history and was 100BB effective. After his donk bet there was 113BB in the pot and 45BB left behind, so less than a half pot sized bet. I am pushing here against anyone. If he is bad enough to play AK or A2 like this, so be it.

By the way Villain also completely butchered the hand by not getting stacks inside. He should either have 3-bet preflop or check-raised somewhere postflop. His line was really bizarre and allowed Hero to save the last 45BB.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Stack sizes are shown in the hand history and was 100BB effective. After his donk bet there was 113BB in the pot and 45BB left behind, so less than a half pot sized bet. I am pushing here against anyone. If he is bad enough to play AK or A2 like this, so be it.

By the way Villain also completely butchered the hand by not getting stacks inside. He should either have 3-bet preflop or check-raised somewhere postflop. His line was really bizarre and allowed Hero to save the last 45BB.

Just that quote was in general not just specific to this hand.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips

Just that quote was as a rule in general, not specific to this hand. I later wrote if little left all-in. And I agree that half a pot sized bet is more on the little side.

I flat AK from the blinds sometimes myself If the raiser is passive or the table is bad post, but as you stated would usually raise on the flop or turn. And as played go for a check on the river (get most out of missed flush draws,bluffs, overplayed hands.

The only good thing with the donk bet that villain does is that it can get paid from weak aces that maybe don't think a bet get called by anything worse on the river - and it looks so strange that some can think he is bluffing a missed draw. If you see him doing it strong most of the time it can be a reason not to go all-in (at least if deeper).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only good thing with the donk bet that villain does is that it can get paid from weak aces that maybe don't think a bet get called by anything worse on the river

When another ace come of the river, I think pretty much anyone is betting all their AX again. So if nothing else Villain should clearly have check-jammed the river instead of making this stupid donk bet. A typical 2NL hand to be brutally honest :)

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
When another ace come of the river, I think pretty much anyone is betting all their AX again. So if nothing else Villain should clearly have check-jammed the river instead of making this stupid donk bet. A typical 2NL hand to be brutally honest :)

Yes. But a lot of players on the lowest levels get super scared of one ace and even if two aces in theory makes it less likely that you have an ace a lot of them don't consider combinatorics. It is very player dependent (like everything in poker - until it gets to a level there the ranges are almost pure math).

But in all it's badness and craziness it is good to see that players still do stupid and odd things.

Too bad that is it on levels that used to be 10x-100x bigger.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very well played

Thanks for sharing your hands with us, this was really well played in my opinion, except in the Turn:
You should be making an Overbet on the Turn in a situation like that almost 100% of times, because your set will require a lot of protection from flush draws, straight draws that might come to realize in the River.
This Overbet is for Value and for Protection mostly because the Range who calls from the BB tends to be weaker (But look at the Villain in the BB Stack Size which is over 200 BB)
BB should be 3betting MP and UTG with AKo but here he decides to play passively and got a real lucky run of cards.
In reality BB would be missing this entire board 70% of times and once in a while hit TP and Two Pair (very rare to hit a boat in the River but we know how Random Gods work)

Regards;

Carlos 'Aballinamion' Barbosa

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 88 is probably at the bottom of a range you should call in MP in a full ring game because you get squeezed out too often and your range being fairly transparent. I would bet bigger 3 way on the flop. 3/4 should be fine. Turn I would also bet bigger. And then river might be a raise but really depends on any reads. Over all pre, XC/XC/DK is a pretty strong line most often. Sometimes a missed draw but rather rare. You could have a boat with some suited aces so I don’t expect him to call of with a lot of random trips. So I probably mean to just call without reads

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Omg , extremelly unlucky , having a set on the flop , and then get sc**** on the turn/river .... I have read opinions that you should have shoved river for value , but personally I would do the same, just calling . I have seen too much to risk playing more aggressivelly , even in 2nl :)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bigger bets on both flop and turn. We want to get stacks in here and if he has an Ace he's calling and if he doesn't he not putting money in anyway. I like pretty near full pot on both streets. Makes getting stacks in on the river very easy.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing I would do differently was to go allin on the river.

OmgCandy1907

OmgCandy1907

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there’s nothing to even think about, you played cool. but River, he is. but this is a man with AK, just a check call, his fate is low limits with such a game... AK Check - call... lucky river

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Note that the opponent did not raise the bid because he thought you were ahead until the deal reached the river. I would play the same way as you, it is extremely difficult to fold on the last street.

Folding in Poker