can you avoid losing maximum here?

T

theaznkid9

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$1-3 NLH, $100-500 buy-in. I have around a $300 stack. I'm on the button and I look down at 10s 8s. I play a pretty wide range on the button, and will almost always play suited gappers. 4 limpers, and I decide to limp in to change it up. Flop comes As Qs Js. I flopped the second nut flush. SB bets $12, others fold and I call. Turn is a brick (7d?). SB bets $50, I call. River is another brick, 4h. SB shoves and covers me, I snap call. He shows Ks 9s. Is there a world where I play this differently and avoid losing my whole stack?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1-3 NLH, $100-500 buy-in. I have around a $300 stack. I'm on the button and I look down at 10s 8s. I play a pretty wide range on the button, and will almost always play suited gappers. 4 limpers, and I decide to limp in to change it up. Flop comes As Qs Js. I flopped the second nut flush. SB bets $12, others fold and I call. Turn is a brick (7d?). SB bets $50, I call. River is another brick, 4h. SB shoves and covers me, I snap call. He shows Ks 9s. Is there a world where I play this differently and avoid losing my whole stack?

That's a pretty bad beat and rare occurrence to have two players flop a flush as one player's chance of flopping a flush is like 2%. That said I'm not sure we're ever getting away from this spot as played BUT I'm wondering why if you're comfortable playing a super wide range on the button (suited gappers can be profitable but also tricky to play post flop), you didn't raise on the button when it limped around to you?

Consider this: If you regularly play suited gappers on the button AND it limps to you...you've got to raise here pre-flop. Who knows, you might have pushed the K9 guy out of the hand preflop with a preflop raise.

But as played you just flat called on the flop, why not raise here to see where you're at and then prepare to just get it in right there (because while it's rare someone limps a set here or face cards for two pair, players do weird things at 1/2 and 1/3 live and will limp AA etc) and while we can't be scared of the higher flush, we can understand that the Ks is possible here and if they're drawing with 4 to a flush OR had a bizarre two pair or set misplayed, we're just letting them build the pot to draw out. Might as well go for big value on flop and turn and get it in before river.

Overall, should have raised preflop when limped to you if you're going to play that wide on button facing no raises.

N

NutsForPLO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Could have raised villain on the flop. It’ll be hard to fold, but at that level of play, I could easily picture villain re-raising you or maybe pushing all on. Hard to fold after that with second but that would give you an opportunity to have an idea of what he might have.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probably not after seeing the Flop. The decider was before it came.
Always keep Daniel in min. #NeverLimp
There are 4 limpers, with your hand you don't want to play much and against so many others.
You should have raised here, probably kicking him out.
Lucky that you got a flush, but else the board would be unplayable for you.

well_cap1302

well_cap1302

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably not after seeing the Flop. The decider was before it came.
Always keep Daniel in min. #NeverLimp
There are 4 limpers, with your hand you don't want to play much and against so many others.
You should have raised here, probably kicking him out.
Lucky that you got a flush, but else the board would be unplayable for you.
#NeverLimp :D i agree.

elflake

elflake

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As others have said, the only way I don't lose my whole stack there is if I raised pre-flop and the K9 folded. Over the course of time you will be on both sides of the rare occurrence of 2 players flopping a flush, balancing it out. I'm always gonna lose alot with 2nd nut flush if I lose because the chance of being beat is so small.