When to re raise?

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find i am very rarely re rasing unless its a bluff and even then thats rare as i play quite straight forward poker. I usually play at 10nl online. I know re raising is a good play but never seem to do it, unless im pre flop with aces and want to go heads up in a big pot. When i know i have the best hand like a flush i feel like a re raise on the turn would only make them fold and ive lost value on the river. As if i re raise surely only something as good or better is calling? I find it helps me to be passive to unless its on the river and i want value. Whats your method for re rasing as a bluff and for value guys? :)

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try playing one tournament where in a spot you usually just call in, reraise. see how effective it is.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try playing one tournament where in a spot you usually just call in, reraise. see how effective it is.
Good advice more effective than calling not all the time though beware good luck.:)

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, as Daniel Negreanu says, "Sometimes it's better to call and play on the river." At that time, everyone played the re-raise and you could see up to 7 bets, was the pioneer in applying that mentality, and it was very good. And if I do not recommend playing hyper-turbo tournaments, in those tournaments, basically 90% of your decisions are all in or fold

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find i am very rarely re rasing unless its a bluff and even then thats rare as i play quite straight forward poker. I usually play at 10nl online. I know re raising is a good play but never seem to do it, unless im pre flop with aces and want to go heads up in a big pot. When i know i have the best hand like a flush i feel like a re raise on the turn would only make them fold and ive lost value on the river. As if i re raise surely only something as good or better is calling? I find it helps me to be passive to unless its on the river and i want value. Whats your method for re rasing as a bluff and for value guys? :)

Excellent question!

For value I like to raise my opponents on the turn because they think that they still have a draw.

Sometimes as a bluff on the flop or on the river. On the flop because maybe I need to know if my opponent likes the flop. On the river because usually just calling will lose the hand for me.

Good luck !

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just re raise with strong hsnd becuse oppenent if call a big present of you stak go to meddle
Can you go to broke

H

HSmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i played an MMT last night and came 2nd, one spot i remember re raising in was when i had pocket 3s and flopped a set but the fush draw was there, so re raised to try and avoid it, luckily he had a pair and gave his whole stack to me :)

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the post about Daniel Negreanu, I like slow ball. Reraising has it's benefits though as said before, when you have a premium hand and want to shrink the players, but I wait for the blinds to be worth it or the first raise is significant enough to significantly help my stack.

C

champ_mc99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-raise with a monster if you want to represent a semi-bluff or if any other future cards can kill action :)

T

ty taylor

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

I dont recommend reraising on a bluff. The other play is more likely to call you because they are already invested. The best time to reraise is when you think you have the best hand. Try learning how to identify what two cards are the nuts and figure out all hands in order that are best. I never reraise unless I am trapping with an overpair to the flop or a pocket pair that makes a set. I always check raise sets in early position.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hello I advise you always raise to protect your hand when you feel that you are in posistion of force. It is necessary to raise and bluff some garbage hands especially when you are in position.

S

suener

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. when you have position and you play against a scared player
2. you have a strong hand 10-10, jj, qq, kk or aces, AKs, AK os, AQs

devisam

devisam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of flops are good for reraise bluffing and a lot of flops aren’t. Flops with a low pair or three cards under 10 are good. Keep in mind your opponents might call if they don’t think you have anything so be sure you can think of a plausible hand you could be reraising with. If you called a big bet preflop and reraise on flop 237, people usually suspect something. Also, when you reraise on the flop, you usually want to have some sort of drawing hand, something like an outside straight draw or even just two overs might be good enough. This way if your bluff goes wrong you still have a chance of catching something. Besides this, it is a good idea to check in an early position and then wait and see what your opponents do. If someone makes a small weak bet after raising big preflop, it is a good bet that they are trying to protect their good hand but haven’t caught anything. If a strong bet is made, you want to fold.

WHO TO RERAISE

The type of people you should be reraise bluffing are the tight aggressive ones that you know will raise with a weak hand or bluff easily. However, you should not get confused between loose and aggressive players. If you see a player is calling everything even with mid pair, it is probably a good idea not to reraise bluff him, even if you feel he doesn’t have a hand.