When to move up from 2NL to 5NL?

KumaPuma

KumaPuma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im fairly new to playing with real money and do not know when i should move up in levels.
I started at the end of December with 20€ and now im at 48€
I still play at 2NL 6max and cant decide when i should move to 5NL
my first goal was at 100€ but i feel like i could do it earlier at 75€and move back down if i fall to 50€
or if i do it at 50€ already and move back down at 40€
I dont know why but i cant decide at all :confused:

i know the smartest choice is probably to wait till 100€ but at the same time i think that is a little overkill :fight:

well thx for your opinions in advance and sorry if i made some major mistakes with my english :p

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe the standard is to have 30buyins at the next level and then drop back down when you lose 5 buyins.

However, if you think that you can perform well at 5nl, give it a shot with 3-5buyins.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, the answer really depends more on what you can afford to play than it does on your skill level. If you can beat 1/2 than you should move up to 2/5 if you can sweat the variance. Don't worry about bankroll. That's really only a consideration if your playing for your rent.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hi,

I think it is important to take your time while moving up the limits. My advice to you is to keep playing the 6max 2NL until you make good profit. If you can reach an average benefit of 10EUR per day you'd make 300EUR per month. If you can do that for 3 months you'd make 900EUR, you can then go up to 5NL and have 100 buyins (+400EUR you can withdraw). Then try to do the same at 5NL tables for 2 or 3 months until you reach a benefit averaging 25EUR per day so 750EUR per month.

Depends on your goals and the time you allow to poker. And do not forget there is life too.

Gl on the tables

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would stay where you are and continue to build a bankroll. 1 month is a short sample size to rate your play. Play another month at least (Feb is a nice short one) and see if you still feel a move up is possible.I typically feel that if I need to ask someone, I am better off playing it cautiously.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can start taking shots at it, then go back down to only 1/2 if you get below $50.

KumaPuma

KumaPuma

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im at 68€ now was at 62€ yesterday a few hours ago i even was at 77 €but well lets just say 3 tables was one too many :p
now time for bed

PS: i feel like 5NL is easier then 2NL because the players are more predictable

Aaron Soto

Aaron Soto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have 10$ in your pocket lol.

M

mishu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a good way to approach a safe BRM for 6max cash games is having 40 buy-ins(4000BB). So i think you could take shots but don't go overboard until you have at least 200$ on your BR.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am looking to move up to 5nl soon but when i have 30bi ($150). I think a good way to decide is thinking If you hit a downswing (which will happen) and lose are 10bi are you broke or can still move down to 2nl safely.
Good luck

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I think it is important to take your time while moving up the limits. My advice to you is to keep playing the 6max 2NL until you make good profit. If you can reach an average benefit of 10EUR per day you'd make 300EUR per month. If you can do that for 3 months you'd make 900EUR, you can then go up to 5NL and have 100 buyins (+400EUR you can withdraw). Then try to do the same at 5NL tables for 2 or 3 months until you reach a benefit averaging 25EUR per day so 750EUR per month.

Depends on your goals and the time you allow to poker. And do not forget there is life too.

Gl on the tables
This quote above is the best advice to your question.

It doesn't matter how well you play, some downswings can last weeks, even months sometimes, but with proper bankroll management, you should be able to handle the downswings.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the best advice to your question.

It doesn't matter how well you play, some downswings can last weeks, even months sometimes, but with proper bankroll management, you should be able to handle the downswings.
I agree with the downswing part. But 5bi per day over a month is crazy unless you play 10h per day and with lots of upswings.. if you play 10.000 hands ( around 10 tabling so you make 1k hands/hour ) you need 5bb/100.. for 10 hours per day.. this is insane.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the downswing part. But 5bi per day over a month is crazy unless you play 10h per day and with lots of upswings.. if you play 10.000 hands ( around 10 tabling so you make 1k hands/hour ) you need 5bb/100.. for 10 hours per day.. this is insane.
Here is one video of a player playing 24 tables, there are others if you search.

Insane? I agree :)

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is one video of a player playing 24 tables, there are others if you search.

Insane? I agree :)
With a limited bankroll to start with (€46) playing 2nl if he play even 10 tables as I said i think he can lose everything in one day ( losing 3 buyins fast 10 tabling is not really uncomon and with 20bi might aftect anyone mentally ) multitabling is also about long run not for making 5bi per day.. maybe You can make 150bi per month (which is 5/day in the end) but what can guarantee You that you will win some before losing not the other way around without proper bankroll

I

Ivan Andreyev

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just try it

Im fairly new to playing with real money and do not know when i should move up in levels.
I started at the end of December with 20€ and now im at 48€
I still play at 2NL 6max and cant decide when i should move to 5NL
my first goal was at 100€ but i feel like i could do it earlier at 75€and move back down if i fall to 50€
or if i do it at 50€ already and move back down at 40€
I dont know why but i cant decide at all :confused:

i know the smartest choice is probably to wait till 100€ but at the same time i think that is a little overkill :fight:

well thx for your opinions in advance and sorry if i made some major mistakes with my english :p

Dude, don't worrie =)

Just try it with 1-2 tables, when u can safely for BR go back to nl2 and not be afraid. I'm pretty sure that u will understand it, when u be ready to go up to nl5, but be careful, do not confuse your readiness with a upstreak :D

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
This quote above is the best advice to your question.

Thanks mate, appreciate you quoting my advice. Have a nice evening.

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are a recreational player, do not risk more than 10% of your bankroll at a time. If your bankroll is $ 100, you should not participate in tournaments with a buy-in of more than $ 10 or sit down for cash tables with a sum greater than the specified. For serious and professional players, the restrictions are even stricter.

One-Headed Tournaments (STT): If you are a serious player, you should have at least 30 buy-ins of the selected limit to sit at the table. Professional players will need 100 buy-ins.

For example, a serious player can play single-table tournaments with a buy-in of $ 20, having $ 600 in a bankroll, but a professional player will need $ 2000 to play on the same limit.

Multi-table tournaments (MTT): Tournaments involve large prize money, but also prolonged series are possible without getting into prizes. You need at least 50 buy-ins if you are a serious player. Professionals need to have 200 buy-ins in their bankroll. Best, perhaps, not to play alone multi-table tournaments. It's safer to mix them with sit-and-go tournaments or cache tables.

Hold'em with a fixed limit: you will most likely need about 300 big bets on your account to sit on a hold'em table with a fixed limit. For example: to play for Hold'em tables with a fixed limit of $ 3- $ 6, you need at least $ 1800 (300x6) to play safely.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mean if you can afford to quickly deposit more money into your account you can be more risky with your bankroll.

If you plan on maintaining a steady bankroll though I would say maintain about 20-35 buyins for the cash table you are playing. It's also less stressful when you have more buyins available at the level you are playing. :D

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when you have a decent bankroll and are killing does soft games