when to leave

C

covbenjie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when is it best to leave a cash game table ?
i often double up but then lose it all
where am i going wrong ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a lot of variance in poker, and being up or down several buyins during a session is completely normal. However if you have way more losing than winning sessions, then chances are, you are simply not a long term winning player. There is no solution for that other than to study and improve.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when is it best to leave a cash game table ?
i often double up but then lose it all
where am i going wrong ?

If I were to hazard a guess based on your short description, you are probably playing overly loose and aggressive in the beginning of your session and then your opponents may be using your aggression against you leading to you losing your stack. If this is the case, I think you’d need to learn how to balance your attack.

Otherwise, you may be lucky early and getting strong hole cards or draws and able to double up early and then bleed it away when your luck runs out.

Or you are going on some kind of tilt (maybe from overconfidence even) and you piss your chips away from a bad psychological position.

I’m going to guess that if this is a trend you are noticing, then your strategy is not sustainable long term. Read more books and articles and get more ideas on how to play a more sustainable approach to winning poker and work on them in game.

Good luck.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I leave while I'm profitable, because after you will be :mad:

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don’t think it’s a matter of leaving but a matter of fixing leaks in your game. That will happen even now and then. If you want you can set limits for winning and losing. That’s a good idea to start until you find the leaks in your play

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I were to hazard a guess based on your short description, you are probably playing overly loose and aggressive in the beginning of your session and then your opponents may be using your aggression against you leading to you losing your stack. If this is the case, I think you’d need to learn how to balance your attack.

This is definitely possible. People with a maniac style are often able to win many pots without showdown in the beginning of a session. But when the other players have picked up on the fact, that the maniac is out of line, they will obviously come after him, when they have a hand, that is strong enough, and then he often end up getting stacked.

So if you really want to use this style, you should either make it in a "hit and run" way, where you only stay for a few orbits. Or learn to change gear, so that you have gone back to completely normal play, when the other players have gone into combat mode. Personally I prefer to just stick to a more boring TAG-style, that allow me to stay at good tables, as long as they last :)

Last edited:
Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I follow simple rules, leave when I am down 2 buyin, or I can no longer play A game (after 6 to 8 hours), or the table is exceptionally tough.

Perhaps you have winning tilt in your game or need to work on very deep stacked game.

Gloria_Legenda

Gloria_Legenda

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Levi when you realize that now goes out, or realize that today is not my day
:D

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
usually when I'm still in front and I still lose all my spot on the river. it is the moment for me to leave until the variance is no longer against me. or when I manage to triple my earnings.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you leave when you feel like you dont have an edge or dont feel like playing anymore.

jhon24

jhon24

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what i learned from players who made some money in poker, if you have a good solid game and you are winning is good to stay there and squeez how much you can. But the biggest problem comes when we start to lose, then we dont want to quit even if will be better, cause we hope to recover the lost money and we lose even more.