When is it advisable to withdraw from a session?

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
A bad spell?
When our opponents are as good as us or better?

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I like the challenge to beating those better then me. I really don't think a bad beat matters to leave a session. However, I like to leave a secession when the feeling of the chat goes bad. Win or lose there is no reason to make someone else's game rattled and there is nothing to say. I do chat its to avoid the sleep trance others put on me. Kind of like a bounce spell in fantasy game. Some chat though can be a little to much punishment. That when I get out.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I say leave a poker session when you're tired, tilting, distracted, or if you're up or down a lot of money.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave when your tired or bored. Gotta keep the concentration up.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If after ten minutes at the poker table you do not know who the patsy is—you are the patsy. And its time to leave!

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
If I have a bad mood I do not play poker. If I have a good mood, I play in any case and regardless of who my opponents are.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I am playing cash game and I won a monster pot,I wait for some hands and go away .

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A bad spell?

If you feel yourself tilting over the bad spell then for sure you may want to call it a session.

If you no longer feel you are in a good game you can find new tables.

Playing at a table full of good players will hurt your profit, you always want at least one drooler at the table.

S

SkorpiosMC

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My approach

I am gonna tell what i usually do:
---> If i am winning, meaning that i have a nice table with 1,2 or more fish always targetting them and avoid zero spots with regulars there is practically no reason to withdraw unless i'm tired or dont have the mental willingness to play any more.

---> If i am losing 3bb (3fullstacks) i immediately withdraw and play later or the other day.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I leave when i feel tired, not paying the same attention as i should, or there is too much crappy play going on and doesn't motivate me.
When none of this happens, well...there's always the time to go to bed!

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I have a hot date , need to eat. have to get sun. Lose my bankroll

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
noticed something new

When you were playing, and noticed something new, you should get away from the table by any means.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it is only two reasons:
1) when you feel that you don’t play your A-Game, eg. lack of focus, tiredness, TILT, won too much, lost too much)
2) when you are (one of the) worst players at the table

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say leave a poker session when you're tired, tilting, distracted, or if you're up or down a lot of money.

Agree with all of this except leaving, because you are up. Maybe for some people "winners tilt" can be an issue, but for me I play better, if I am winning, not worse. Also winning could be a result of being at good tables, and it can give a psycological advantage against other player, who might shy away from getting involved with you.

So in my opinion winning sessions should be milked for as much as possible. Its a bit like stock market investing, where its usually a mistake to sell to take home a small win. Instead you should let your winners run and dump your losers. Of course at some point other factors like being tired will set in, and then its time to end the winning session.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, efranto2286! I'm think, sure, not need afraid your opponents for the table,
because then why to play in the Poker generally?.. But, if you feel, and main
understand through several time of playing session, that you are more weak
by skill with compare other, I think is better withdraw from this table, that save
your bankroll, and try to raise your poker skill before next time. But this can use
only for the cash tables, because in the any tournament you can't go away from table,
and need will to adjust under a real situation... Therefore, of course, the tournaments
need to play by bankroll also, as and the cash tables!:cool:

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All poker pros are advised to leave when you stop to show his A game! But I have a problem with this roda-- if I won a large sum, I'm even when there are a lot of fatty fish !!! What it is? I can not do anything!

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are losing and starting to tilt. I lost $260 last night because I wasn't playing my A game but I refused to leave the table and fight another day. I haven't tilted like that in a long time. I think I'm just burnt out from playing so much this week.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bad spell?

When you are too tired, ill or hungry to make good decisions.

Or also when there is nothing more to gain from the table.

Sometimes I quit after a few hours of intense play when the players at the table change and I need a break.

Good luck !

quartz

quartz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At pretty much the exact moment you start realizing you're not playing your best (at least as far as your edge becomes too narrow against your opponents) is when you want to stop. That's the tipping point and after that your game will continue to degrade so there's no point in trying to catch up. Of course you may do well against fish if you're dead tired too so then it becomes a question of whether denying yourself sleep is worth the trade off of extra EV.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A bad spell?

From my point of view, I think it's best to withdraw from a session when you're not really right with me.
I think it's even better to play against good players as often. They make us better!

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When to end a session?

When we want to professionalize poker it is a good idea to have goals to achieve; play X amount of hands, play X amount of hours or earn X amount of money, but to achieve these goals we must keep in mind that we must always deploy our best game (A-Game). Demand too much, lack of concentration, fatigue, tilt, all of them are factors that affect our game and our performance at the tables.

So, when to end a session? When our A-Game decreases markedly, when we notice that our decisions in the game are not the best. Here is the difference between a bad Win Rate and a very good Win Rate.

mkdrummey

mkdrummey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it depends on how the table is. If there is an obvious donkey at the table who keeps busting and reloading I will usually hang around. At pokerstars now this is quite good because if you get all your chips in good you can cash out based on percentage to avoid losing to a lucky suck out.

If the table is playing tight I might hang around as well as there's good opportunities to steal.

If there's too many loose cannons I usually leave either quickly or at any point I am in profit.