Whats the best way to play A J?

P

petroliakid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seem to have a hard time play'n this hand..I know postion is important...just looking for your thoughts.

TheKid

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will usually just call them and maybe (Big maybe) see a small raise based on person raising.

You actually want the J to hit and not the A. If the J hits then you know you have the best kicker. Then if an A hits on turn or river you could have top two pairs and that is the best you can hope for.

I tend to throw it away with larger bets just because you could be facing big slick, AQ and get into kicker troubles when an A hits the board. The ugliest is when you face AA or JJ on a big raise and you call, half your outs are gone.

May call a larger bet if my AJ is suited and I have a chip lead on the table just for flush draws.

V

VegasGrinder

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A,J should e played from middle and late positions only.

It is a Tier 4 hand

There are 17 hands considered stronger starting hands.

If the A,J is suited than it moves up to a Tier 3 hand. That brings it to being the 12 best starting hand.

You should play it from middle and late position. Also it is a hand worth calling a raise with from late position.

T

Toby

Play money lover
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would just call with A J and see the flop, see what comes up and then make my decision.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ONLY play AJ from late positions unless you are in the blinds and can see a flop for free (BB) or for half a bet (SB). If someone raises preflop who does not bluff raise, throw this hand away.

AJ is a trouble hand and many people make the mistake of playing it too much. In actuality its not that great of a hand.

Sp00ns

Sp00ns

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont play for real money and i always play ace jack =D
But thats fake money =D

E

Executioner

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had good luck w/ A J but I mainly check pre-flop to see what it is...

The_Missnary

The_Missnary

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends..

Are these cards suited or unsuited? I'll much more readily see the flop with suited cards, especially if it's already been raised. If I can see the flop cheaply I'll call with both. The flop will tell you everything you need to know.. If you flop a flush, you know how to play that; if you flop four to a flush, well, that's your call! :)

L

lil_4ta5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i am sort of inexperienced, but i have had lots of luck playing AJ off or not off... if its online then definately play, unless u r a tight ass and play everything very seriously.

K

KK_Cowboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ and how I play it

I find you are much better off to raise with this hand no matter what position, unless someone has already raised before you (may have to think about things then). I bet this hand as if it were AK.

Let me put it this way. I have done a lot more good by raising with this hand, than I ever have and will by simply flat-calling. You don't always get what you need, and you may lose a few times, but I am simply going by personal experience.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Treat it like a baby Ace (A2, A3, etc.). Players see a painted Ace and get excited, but 15 other starting hands are better than AJ. Given that your opponents are probably going to be hanging onto Aces, Kings, or Queens in some form or another, your chances of becoming a huge underdog on the flop are pretty good. I strongly disagree that AJ should be played like AK. I do agree that flat calling with AJ isn't a good idea, simply because I think flat calling is rarely a good idea with ANY hand. If it's not good enough to raise, it's not good enough to play. Get away from it.

J

jubert69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way i think is bet a lot preflop, it is a great hand but AQ, AK can hurt you lots, stealing pot in beginning is best