heart.gif

BB shoves
MP Call

BB A
spade.gif
Q
spade.gif

Tell me how should this be played the options and what mistakes I made

You should of bet on the flop to price out flush draws. Your only losing to AK and KK currently so chances are your ahead. Checking on the flop or betting small gives villian pot odds to call you should be betting big to make pot odds unfavourable for villian to continue.

WiredKs

WiredKs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before I critique your play, I’ll say that I think the die was cast. You were destined to get coolered and go broke. You’re not laying it down to a 7.5BB raise and even if you just call, you're probably mixing it up on the flop. There’s a good chance a flop bet gets called buy the nut flush draw w/ 1 over and then you’re in the same trouble you ended up in anyway.

Preflop Play - I think you might have overplayed KQs preflop. With a 20BB 4bet the only hands that are going to come along with you are better than you. Unless you had some sort of read, his call should tell you that you’re behind. I would think AA, KK, and QQ move in on you here. I think everything less than AJs, AQo and 99 fold to a 30BB bet. So that means you’re most likely against 99, TT, JJ, AKs, AQs, AJs, AKo, or AQo. You have blockers to AK and AQ, so they’re a little less likely at this point.

Flop Play - You hit the flop and missed the bet at the only point you were ahead. If you had committed everything (in your mind) to this hand; this was the point to shove. For me, I’m not shoving because he’s already told me he’s holding premium cards and (as a nit) I’m afraid of half of what I think are his possible hands. But this was the last spot you had any chance to win the pot.

Turn Play – I like the stab because if you’re ahead you may pick it up and if you get called or raised you gain information about their hand. At least now you know you’re likely in trouble. You’re just not that likely to get called with TT, JJ, or AQo anymore, and you’re behind 99, AKs, AKo, and AsXs. What’s left? What are you hoping for now? KxJs? Does KJo call 20BB more preflop?

River Play – Even though 3h pairs the board, I think it’s a blank. I don’t have a single 3 in his range and 99 was already ahead and is now more confident. BUT, if there was any doubt about the strength of his hand when he smooth-called the turn bet, now he’s literally shoving it in our face. I don’t call here unless I’m really short if I don’t.

R

rmcneice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not have 4-bet there unless I had the read that he 3-bets light and folds to a 4 bet more than 60% of the time.

Then need to overbet the C-bet remove the odds for the flush call and sell the I have AA, KK or AK and just hit it big.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have never four bet the king queen. Since he made the reraise king queen is a hand that is often dominated. His likely Holdings are Ace King Ace Queen pocket kings pocket Queens. Since I only called his raise on the flop I haven't taken charge of the hand. But when he checks to me and I did hit the flop I will make an atempt to take it down there. And if he smooth calls me there and the Spade hits on the turn. I'm going read his check as trying to trap me. In my opinion you played the king queen too hard preflop and too soft post flop and were doomed to failure

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a bit of confusion in your version of the hand since you have the BB folding and then continuing. Is this the SB you are playing against? Also it is helpful to know the stack sizes and blinds.

Preflop, you should have called the SB (or BB if that is right) rather than 4 bet. Maybe even fold since KQo is marginal. The decision to call or fold is situation dependent.

Postflop, you should bet here and not check. You need a fairly stiff bet to see if you are behind or ahead. Fold if re-raised. He has to think you have KK, and he's still willing to call, and later on to raise you. That means he has that beat.

Turn: he has a made hand but lets you lead the betting. Once you show yourself to be aggressive (that earlier 4-bet) he can continue with a made hand and let you lead while he calls.

River: only after you don't push hard on the turn does he jam now. At this point he is trying to get value.

Viper ChipIt

Viper ChipIt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to bet the flop here, he's still never folding the nut flush draw but you can still get alot of value in the long run. Turn and river are tough decisions but its hard not to go broke here. All depends on if the villian ever has a worse king here. After a 3 bet pre, probably not.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm guessing you had a prior read on him pre flop when you 4 bet that because otherwise, I wouldn't be in the hand still with KQo when BB 3bets me.
Now once the flop hits, since you're still in the hand, you should've bet for obvious reasons as everyone said. I would've bet large, 3/4 the pot maybe to protect my hand and if the opponent has a draw, like he did in this case, I would want him to pay a large price to see the turn rather than give him a free street where my equity could drastically change.
If the turn was a spade, as it was in this scenario, I would've checked to him and see what he does.
I think that's the standard line of play to take post flop.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KQo is the definition of a secondary dominated hand. Anyone 3 bets me and they have a 3bet% under 10% I fold so quick I might sprain my wrist. When you get big 4 bet I literally am never calling it with 3 better left to act. At best I have 15% on flop to AK domination with kicker trouble trap and likely I am looking at being dominated by QQ and combos, super dominated by KK and combos, AA dominated over pair trap.....your hand is a 7% dog against JJ and any pair. Playing KQo here is like squeezing your head into a dangerous place where you do not think what could be on the other side. When you think about it you are going into serious take your entire stack traps if not by the 3 better then the 4 better. Like at best you are a dog....why play just fold that second tier hand.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it's a fold. Your hand doesn't play good on tight ranges because you are mostly dominated preflop. It could be a 4bet/fold but as you don't know your opponent, it's just a fold.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your only mistake was to check the flop then on the turn I think you did not have a good perspective and that's why you made the call I think everything would have been different with a bet on the flop

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you have bet flop, how he played pre flop probably he has only two hands that win your hand AA and AK.

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SB re-raise
BB fold

what?) why then in the future plays BB?)

you must to fold preflop. that's your main mistake.
good luck!

GuiWah

GuiWah

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. You should have folded that KQ;
2. At the flop, you should have price out the draws and hands like even so you will find yourself in tough situations.
3. One of them is: NUT flush draw calling you where you ll be facing an overcard plus the FD.

paulezzz

paulezzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 4 betting with kq is already a big mistake!!! Crazy play man. you play it like you have a monster:eek:

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't agree with the 4 bet with KQ if your jammed on there your laying it down leaving yourself open to be exploited even further down the line. If your opponents see you 3 or 4 bet folding a ton they might do it even wider than normal. Flop bet here is absolutely a must but don't think he's laying nut flush down some ppl will even call a jam with such a hand as he has an over to the board as well as back door straight outs. Once he calls your 4 bet that narrows his range and after he has jammed on you what are you beating? Sure you might be thinking a made flush would have raised the turn and now he's turning single spade hands into a bluff. Some players might have even just called your raise with AK. Imo pre flop was all wrong post flop was also a mistake not betting the flop and the call was also light

Last edited:
M

mikeisthebestever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the major mistake in this hand was 4-betting preflop. I dont know for sure, but I am assuming you are about 100bb effective. The range of hands that is going to be putting 30% of their stack in preflop to a 4-bet has KQ is really bad shape. In addition, with so much in the middle already, you lose a lot of your ability to maneuver in the hand.

The difficulty of the rest of the spots in this hand all started with preflop, that is where you should look to make the adjustment. If you just flat the 3-bet pre, you still have 90bb behind, he would probably c-bet the flop, you could choose to call or raise and evaluate.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like it has been said before , the Preflop was a little Much. Like...…...You aren't even suited so the overall value of KQ is very Low. Your Flop Check was a HUGE mistake. You WOULD have saved yourself money with a decent sized bet. One to where you can really feel your position for the turn (Hes 100% calling whatever you bet this just gives you intel on how strong/draw heavy he is) When he smooth calls you on the turn there has to be some sort of tick in your head on why he would just flat (after a flop bet) which would then give you a fold on the river. The river call was terrible , you're pretty much only holding him to a Bluff which is a mistake because he called your 4-bet so even if he had a K it would most likely be AK or KK and then your row of Aces , so you're beat ….Always. Sucks when it happens , Just roll with the punches , learn and Chip Up. Good Luck

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to know that when you decide to enter the pot with the cards you choose in this case you choosed KQ you must protect you bet at the certain risk of losing money.In this particular case with you 30BB re-raise you already decided that you will be defending this hand with your whole stuck.Now if we had that in mind you made one grievously big mistake, after the turn you should have gone all-in.If you did that you maybe will still lose as we see but also you maybe will win cause your opponent will be scared to draw a flush with his whole stuck involved.With your decision/mistake to check on the turn you gifted him a tons of chips for who he doesnt even has to sweat about.

A

azoppina609

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should of bet on the flop to price out flush draws. Your only losing to AK and KK currently so chances are your ahead. Checking on the flop or betting small gives villian pot odds to call you should be betting big to make pot odds unfavourable for villian to continue.

I agree with this, Bet heavy earlier to force anyone chasing to put money in the pot. They are either going to chase and hit or fold regardless of whether they wait for the river or not.