What to do when no one raises before the BB

A

ArushKaria

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering what is advisable to do when you're in the BB and everybody either limps or folds before you. Should you always check to disguise your hand range or raise for value? BTW I play small stakes and small stake house games

Thanks~

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends, like always, on the style of the people in the hand and the stack sizes.
If they limp into many hands with a big stack, but raise the good hands, you may have a good chance to take the pot with a raise.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally depends on how the table is playing and your opponents, how many limped, do they usually limp, what's your hand strength (remember you'll be out of position the rest of the way), stack sizes, tourney or cash game....lots of variables.

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
their is alot of players that will limp in.
1) they are hiding a good hand and will pounce after
2) they limp in hoping to get a good hand because they got nothing

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If hand strong and have good playability - raise.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
You should raise or even allin if your hand is very good
No matter if everybody limps or raise
Stick to your game and act accordingly
Rgrds

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really depends on how many limpers, their tendencies and what I am holding.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a great starting hand, you may want to over-bet raise because you're out of position.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see no reason to not raise my strong hands, when its limped to me in BB. Sure it caps my range, when I knock it back, but is that really a problem? It just mean, my opponents know, I dont have hands like AA, KK or AK, but neither do they, since they limped.

Q

Queev14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a good hand, alway raise big. You dont wanna play a good hand in a multiway pot. If you are lucky one or two guys will call, if not you win a pot easy. If you have low pairs or suit connectors/ unsuited connectors or total garbish, i would check or call for the right price.

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some disguise their hands bye not betting

i disguise my hands lots and pounch once i see the flop if im still holding high hand
or ill sit back and see who gonna bet or not.
85% you can win the hands

M

Master Bedroom

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's good to mix in a fair amount of different strategies, but of course the situation will always dictate the proper line/path.

What will raising do? Will they still call or fold?

Do you want them to call or fold?

Do I want to isolate a player, and protect my hand more, or do i want to simply inflate the pot, and risk more players coming along?

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its going to sound repetitive but it all dependes on how the table is playing. but mostly how your style, is it agressive, than you should raise.

M

Marowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly it depends on strongof your hand and how many players limp?
Generally if you have strong hand you should raise.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the bb you can just check most hands and iso with something like your mp range. And in the sb maybe something like your co range maybe something between your co and mp range. Then ip drop back one position for your iso range "roughly speaking". So on the btn use your co range to iso and in the co use your mp range. If your playing full ring you can work by a similar rule. But it's also going to depend on other factors like player types and if you have multiple limpers your range gets tighter. But thats about as good a basic guide as i can give for a default.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is no single answer to your question. a lot of things influence the decision to raise or simply call in this situation. if there is no strong hand, I would just call one and see the flop and then make the decision.

M

Marowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey,

it depend on how strong hand you have. If you have low pair you can check but if you have mid/high pair, high connectors, A high you should bet. If you have other hand just fold. Of course in random situation.
You should know when you should extend your range or narrow your range (who limp, how many players limps, on which position).

D

darpblog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should you always check? not really. First of all, the more palyers there are in the pot the less equity you have. You don't want to see a flop with four other players if you have aces,and certainly not with kings or queens. However some hands benefit from seeing a multiway flop, like small pairs, 22-99, if you hit a set, there's more likelihood that someone has a hand that can pay you. Suited connectors also, benefit, and of course if you have trash you are happy to see a flop for free

K

Kadgaron

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the best solution would be to try to take control of the distribution to play 3bet.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wondering what is advisable to do when you're in the BB and everybody either limps or folds before you. Should you always check to disguise your hand range or raise for value? BTW I play small stakes and small stake house games

Thanks~

Because you describe small stake house games - I assume there are 3 or more limpers in this situation and I like 2 options for you....

1. Raise BIG and then continue bet out of position no matter what the flop is. I always love a good squeeze! But now you've pumped the pot up out of position.....congratulations.....somebody will win a big pot!

2. Limp and just extract value with the nuts as a disguised hand. But again you are out of position. Just be ready to fold with too many limpers. Pay attention to the betting - it will tell you who has what based on what they did before in previous hands.

Most of the time the limpers have nothing hands - sometimes they are comfortable limping with a small pair. Too many speculative hands and even AA is likely to lose.

In games like that I would play position and extract value or try to force folds. Limpers in games like that are very sticky and like to come along. So it would take 3 barrels - flop turn and river if you would get a bluff through.....lol

Good luck !