What to do?

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm back to playing PLO and was doing pretty well until last night.

6 ring game, felted a couple of guys that were playing stupid, these guys come back later re-loaded and start playing stupid again. They're in 3 out of 4 pots raising pre-flop and re-raising each other. I'm waiting for good starting cards and pay to see the flop, these guys keep raising so 3 out of 4 times my hand draws dead so I'm getting sucked out on blinds and pre-flop raises.

On top of all this I am having a terrible night only 2 wins for decent returns, the board was insane, it seemed like every other hand was pairing the board on the flop, flush draws out the wazoo, and of course my nut straights were getting murdered. I'd sit out a few hands, re-load when down under $2, play solid hands, etc. but after 200 hands just kept getting sucked out, plus the river (my greatest enemy) kept killing me.

The question is should I leave a table when maniacs keep raising the pot preflop in PLO? 1 raise OK, but these guys were constantly re-raising the pot so that it just got so expensive to see the flop that you get sucked out with good starting hands that don't make. It really felt that they were colluding by squeezing other players out, also they "lost" to each other when one of their stacks were down.

The weird thing is both these guys are horrible players, I regurarly make big stacks off them because they will play almost anything. I saw them both get felted at least two times earlier that night, they just keep coming back for more. Put them on the same table though and they were rolling.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe switch tables?

What TheKAAHK said.

However though, if they really are that bad and even raising etcetc alll the time, it's only a matter of time before you felt them over and over. Just ride out the varience and continue playing them.

This is the best thing you can do agaisnt people who are worse.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
5-/6-bet shove pre or flat and get it in with gutter +.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are comfortable and continue to play your A game, stay. If all the circumstances are making you play anything other then what you would consider your optimal game, then leave. Never stay when you don't have a good feeling or feel you have an edge imo.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are right

Should have dumped the table instead of chasing, especially with a frozen seat.

Played today and had a good run, so made back half my losses.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never leave this table, if you want to see cheap flops and wait for the nuts I'd recommend PLO8 instead.

In PLO it's tough to get action from a lot of people when they don't have the nuts so whenever you have two people making the pots huge with weak hands it's like printing money.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players who are both bad and loose are likely to be very profitable opponents to play against, but you have to get used to higher variance. Part of this is realizing that your individual session results matter far less than your ongoing trend, and using that understanding to help decrease your concern when one session or even a few result in losses. .

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These can be very frustrating players to play against, u need to fight there aggression with aggresion or they will steam roll the table. if u find urself chasing and just not hitting the cards, know when it is time to leave, sometimes they will hit every hand, u may get more frustarted by their idiotic play and end up crucifying ur bankroll. well at least that used to happen to me, now i set limits if the donk keeps hitttin those 1 and 2 outers, ill let thim have his glory and try get a more suitable table

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally I would stay at the table like I did, but I just wasn't making my hands. I knew I could bust them but after about 30 or 40 hands they both had around 350 and 400 BB, while I kept rebuying when I got down to 15. So they were bullying with their stack sizes putting other players in past commitment point. I know that I make bank off them but like I said the cards weren't falling for me.

It was the 1:00 am crowd so maybe they were drunk and lucky, it burns to see free money go to waste, But my BR was already on life support and I had to stop throwing good money after bad. My BR is still on Life Support ( about $24 was $14 after that fiasco) but my sessions are still profitable ( avg around 75% profit per session, and that's averaging poor sessions where I still leave with a small profit).

On the plus side, I took a break yesterday and today and have been reading Sklansky's "The Theory of Poker" and Hwang's ""Pot-Limit omaha poker". Theory is just a great book and PLOP is good analysis. I think my game will only get stronger.

Now if only I could figure out why I suck so bad at Hold'em.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't try to play PLO with 100 BIs. I used to play LO and that was a lot of fun, but I don't know of any sites that still run that.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100 is the max buy in, er do you mean BB or Buy ins?