Value Betting or Bluffing?

L

LuckyChips33

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
want to hear some thoughts on value betting. I've always seen it as bluffing...that is, if you haven't made your hand, then you have nothing. So needless to say i don't do it regularly. im wondering if I might be missing out on bigger wins. what is your experience?

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

I would say you are missing out on a big part of playing poker if you are not value betting on a regular basis. You can often win the pot right there without ever having to make your hand. It can be a powerful tool that I suggest you use when you can. Good luck !

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you are referring to continuation betting? and yes, c-betting the right boards is an important tool in poker. Value betting is betting to get value for made hands, so its generally not bluffing.

cskwin

cskwin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is hard to predict when you playing online with unknow opponents to decide value betting. when you think Villain makes a bluff all the time you might end up burning your stack. watch the trend of the player and make a wise decision.

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you bet. There are only ever really two reasons in Poker you are doing it.

1. You have a hand which you think is ahead of the hands your opponent might have. You are expecting to win at showdown and want to make the pot bigger so you win more money. In this case you are 'Value Betting'. You are increasing the value of your potential win.

2. You have a hand which you think is behind the hands your opponent might have. You are not expecting to win the pot if you get to showdown. However, you think that your opponent may still fold a marginal hand if you bet. In this case you are 'Bluff Betting'. You have no hand and are betting to convince your opponent that you do.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Basically, they are different in their purpose. A bet for bluff is made when hero wants to force the villain to fold a stronger hand, a bet for value is made when hero wants the villain pay with weaker hands. Knowing about reading, ranges, combos and fold equity makes you play best.

want to hear some thoughts on value betting. I've always seen it as bluffing...that is, if you haven't made your hand, then you have nothing. So needless to say i don't do it regularly. im wondering if I might be missing out on bigger wins. what is your experience?

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Value Betting

Harper Collins Publishers published a book titled, "Phil Hellmuth's Texas Hold'em". The book covers beginning, intermediate and advanced strategies. It may help to give you more ideas about value betting strategies. Hope this helps. Good luck with your game.:top:

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am particularly bluffing very rarely, because I have seen that this is something to do when it is necessary, or when you sober with whoever is playing, I do not like to underestimate a big bet if I do not have a hand made I do not usually pay. Today I usually pay when I really have a hand made. I hope you understand me.

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars