re: Poker & Turbo SnG Strategy??
Sure you race more often, but how is it only for action/gamble player ? Getting your money in good is good even if you're just a few % favourite.
Since, I'm the midst of rebuilding a BR solely from turbos since my hourly is way higher playign them (normal SNGS can take twice as long and don't pay twice as much), let me give you some tips.
1) Identify who are the action/fast playing players. The people who are there to gamble. Get in with them only with great hands early. If you have one of them sitting to your left and you have AQo UTG, it might be best not to even play it if the blinds are in the first or second level. This is because they'll likely want to play for stacks early and if we do, it negates any advantage we might have in the future (knowing when to shove, fold, etc.). This also means that slowplaying against such players is almost never right.
2) Every chip is precious. This is even more true for a normal SNG. You should not always play 78 in middle position if you have the action player still to act. Why ? He might repop for 200 more and for you to lose the 30-50 you have put in.
3) Since you will get very low in the M unless you build a stack, suited connectors lose value especially at a table with a lot of raising preflop and turbos usually have a lot of raising or even open shoving at level 3 or 4.
4) Know the strength of position. If you have a chipstack fo 1850 UTG with 5 still to act and AJo (blinds 75/150) shoving here is risky and probably not the best option. On the button, I might even shove a small suited Ace here.
5) Know the strength and weakness of low to mid pp. When you are shoving, you are either getting called by overcards or a higher pp. This means that shoving 22,33,44,55,66 or even 77 might be very debatable in earl position when the table is not in bubble mode. True you have a pair, but you'll always race if you get called. 99 and up are proably more of a no brainer (since A8, K8, Q8, etc.) might call and only have one over.
6) Identify early who to steal from and who to avoid. If you have a call station to your left, only steal with hands you would be comfortable calling a push with (from the same player). Also try to identify who are the people who always punish limpers, it'll come in handy when you are on the button with AKs or even better, a big pp. Always resteal/shove though when they raise you: we don't want them to so a flop unless they put in the money behind, for obvious reasons (opponent folding to betting, getting free card if we check).
7) Take your opponent to value town late and look at the flop texture. Say you have q9o in the BB and SB completed. Flops comes Q24 rainbow. It is very unlikely that this flop has hit a SB who has invested money in a pot and risked getting raised preflop. You bet, he calls. Turn comes T. Now what ? Well, you still gotta get value out of your Q since it is probably way the best hand here. Checking to his check might be good, or only calling his bet if he does bet (it will also prevent him from shoving turn if he has a set, two pairs, wich are quite unlikely here).
8) Finally, know and approximate your fold equity, pot odds
, effective odds, table image, etc. before making a decision late. Stealing is probably the biggest skill needed in turbos and you need to have a firm grasp of the above if you want to make smart decision.
As you can see, a lot of the tips concern late game play and this is pretty obvious if you look at the structure of turbos. Winning a huge pot (BB wise) while taking risks (or losing that pot) means little or nothing 10 minutes later (20-30 hands later) since the BB can very well be 1/3 of what you big pot was in size. This means that I'll take very few risks (calling with pot odds
but speculative hands) or play drawing hands unless I'm already sitting ona big stack (M= 20+). I very often will fold KJo on the button with 4 limpers before early on. Why ? I can't raise since I'll get callers (and I ahve a crap hand) or even get reraised, it's drawing potential is limted to straights, if I connect with top pair, my kicker might not be good. KJo, A9o, etc. Later on, this changes.