Tried multitabling for the first time...

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not ready for this yet. Situations aren't exactly automatic for me yet, and so when I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do at one table, I get dinged on the other one and it interrupts my train of thought and I ended up screwing up both hands. lol

For those who do it, how do you multi-table? Are you pretty much on autopilot at that point, and you just go according to set plays more or less? What are the signs that tell you that you are ready to multi-table? And would you say that your capacity to multi-table could be seen as a prerequisite to move up levels?

For me, I just really like to suss out the game and get a good handle of who I'm playing against before making decisions... it's more fun for me that way. Outside of one bad hand (I lost my stack on a top 2 pair vs a set), I lost like... 15 BBs over an hour of multi-tabling NL2.

I think I'll just stick to playing one table at a time for now until I figure more things out...

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
And I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not ready for this yet. Situations aren't exactly automatic for me yet, and so when I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do at one table, I get dinged on the other one and it interrupts my train of thought and I ended up screwing up both hands. lol

For those who do it, how do you multi-table? Are you pretty much on autopilot at that point, and you just go according to set plays more or less? What are the signs that tell you that you are ready to multi-table? And would you say that your capacity to multi-table could be seen as a prerequisite to move up levels?

For me, I just really like to suss out the game and get a good handle of who I'm playing against before making decisions... it's more fun for me that way. Outside of one bad hand (I lost my stack on a top 2 pair vs a set), I lost like... 15 BBs over an hour of multi-tabling NL2.

I think I'll just stick to playing one table at a time for now until I figure more things out...
Firstly, how many tables were you playing at? That could be your problem. Only ever open one more table until your real cool with two, then one more and so on. I made the same mistake and I lost way more than 15 BB lol !!!!

Last edited:
N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly, how many tables were you playing at? That could be your problem. Only ever open one more table until your real cool with two, then one more and so on. I made the same mistake and I lost way more than 15 BB lol !!!!
That's the issue. I only played 2 tables, and I felt rushed in both so I didn't make good decisions. I couldn't profit in certain situations more than I should have, and I lost in situations that I probably shouldn't have been in if I played better. I think I'll need to get to the point of feeling quite bored in a single table in NL2 before I add a table. :p

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Six tables if it's full ring. Four tables if it's between 4-6 players (shorthanded). Two tables if it's HU. That is my own personal limit if I want to have a good read on the other players and not play on autopilot.

But when I started I just played on table full ring sit and go or one table limit holdem.

Like most things in life it is a matter of training a skill until it becomes a habit.

The time it takes is of course different for everyone.

Like one other poster suggested try one extra table when you feel mentally alert and see it as training.

There are people that NEVER multi-table and there are people that play 24 tables. But you have to try before you know your own limit.

The more experience the easier to do more decisions very fast and automatic/subconscious so I sure you sooner or later add tables with ease.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its largely a matter of practice, and the more experience you get, the more decisions become a little bit automatic. If I am not busy with something else, I always preselect “fold”, as soon as I see a hand, I know, I am not going to play. In that way I dont get “dinged” and distracted by something completely trivial like open folding J4o, when I am involved in a big pot at another table.

If I feel overloaded with decision making already, I might also start folding marginal hands, I would normally have played. Its really not a big deal to not open A9o or continue with bottom pair on the flop this particular time, if it help you to avoid mistakes in a big pot, you are already involved in.

It also matter, what equipment, you are playing on. I use a laptop, and for me 2 tables is completely unproblematic. They can be displayed side by side and still have a size, that makes it easy to follow the action and not miss any details.

Even when you increase it to 3 or 4 table, some kind of compromise is needed on a laptop. It you still tile, the tables will become pretty small, and at least for me my eyes get tired, and I tend to miss out on details. Then you can stack the tables. This gives the benefit of forcing you to focus 100% on a single decision at a time. But the downside is, you are missing a ton of information.

So for now I have ended up with a compromise, which 888 poker offer as standard, and which you can do manually at Stars. It is to tile the tables but make them large enough to cover the entire width of the screen. This mean, there is some vertical overlap, but you can at least follow the action at two tables at a time rather than one.

I hope, this help. But if you are not ready to play even two tables yet, then dont force it. For most people it will come naturally, because they simply start to become bored, if they only have one table open.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can only play two tables at a time. If there are more than two tables, I cannot keep the situation under control and it becomes difficult for me to concentrate.

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can’t do it without help. Though with a HUD it’s easier to make decisions

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dont force yourself once you become accustomed to winning at one table "fingers crossed" you'll maybe move on to two tables. And if you dont there is nothing wrong with winning while one tabling most people cant do that. So just enjoy the game and keep on leanring and youll progress at your own speed .