Tournys vs Ring games

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playin online poker for less then a year now started out playing play money ring games then played in freerolls, finely got to point that I started to place and won a few freerolls, played in sng's have success in these games, now I have bankrolls in a few sites, so recently I've started playing in ring games nothing big 1-2 5-10 25-50 cent ring games.I'm realizing its not quite the same game in, tournys I can sit back and pick my spots, I'm aggressive and can steal a pot, take down a hand with good cards and basicly build my stack. I've tried these same strategys in ring games it just doesn't seem to work, it seems you have to play ultra aggressive an have to be really lucky, just reminds me of bingo poker keep going hope to hit something and seems like 75% of the time they do, Ive talked to people who swear they would only play in ring games, I talk to them about stragety they just tell me to keep doing the same thing I'm doing now I like to think of myself as a tight aggressive player. Any players out there that like to play in ring games have any suggestions hey let me know!!!!! :cool:

R

rcmedcop1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you.. I have found much much more success in the tourneys and free roles. Could be because I have less fear about losing (small investment) and play a little loser and through off the competition. My handle is NYPokerChick on poker stars and I notice guys go more on tilt when a women is beating them... (a little advice !) Also there are specfic and very different strategies for tourney play than to ring game. I consider myself a tight player with tilt overtures ! I prefer the tourney setting hands down.. Linda

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In ring games at those limits, you can play like a nit and win steadily. Premium hands only.

The opposition is mostly so stupid that, when you do see a flop, they will completely fail to realise that this is the first hand you have played in the last forty, and their JT sooted is likely not good.

D

Dj OnE-Chuck

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a big fan of the ring games, I just don't play them right now. Except sometimes I'll go sit in a Razz ring game cause there is not a lot of razz tourney. I'm playing like you MAX101 in tourney so I have a lot of difficulty to adjust my strategy in ring game. That's why I quit and decided to play only sit and go and tourney. Chris Ferguson once said that you are better play game that you feel comfortable with and you are good at. So I listen to him and quit ring game ! hehe

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I make most of my money in ring games playing a fairly tight game.
Most pros make their money in ring games as well.

Ring for steady cash, tourney for the odd big payday.

Tournament and ring game strategy are way different. Sorry I am not going to go on about it here as there are many good threads out there with this info. Do a search and take a look at the articles for the differences in strategy.

Besides that just listen to egon, most players are not paying attention at really low limits so you can play ultra tight and win.

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everybody, for the advice LO- DOG I tried reading some, but it just boils down to experience taking a little bit I've read then putting them to use, so I've been playin alot of 5-10 play money ring games, I tried the 200- 400 tables first got my butt kicked in, I'm learnin LOL THANKS AGAIN !!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everybody, for the advice LO- DOG I tried reading some, but it just boils down to experience taking a little bit I've read then putting them to use, so I've been playin alot of 5-10 play money ring games, I tried the 200- 400 tables first got my butt kicked in, I'm learnin LOL THANKS AGAIN !!

You will not gain any good experience playing at these tables, they will not help you at all with your game id imagine

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a similar thread with an article you might find useful.

S

sportsfreak_39

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
when I'm at a ring game, I can play my game a lot easier, I have to watch 9 players, learn them and find my way to make some big money on just one hand, I usually pinpoint the loose guys or the maniac and let him try and get over agressive with me when I have a hand, for the others I play agressive, as in NL ring games, people are much more scared to lose money

in toruneys, you have to shift gears and constantly depending how the game is going, you cannot wait for action, you have to get into a big pot at some point befor ethe blinds increase and take you out, you can win more money, but you need to win more big pots, in a SnG, you have to read peoples tendicies and quick, in a MTT it really helps if you have notes on some people, because people come in and out and you need an incredible amount of concentartion to play your a game all the way through

toruneys are harder to beat, but more money to win

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Switch,I know where your coming from , thing is I need to get a feel for ring games, I've been playing, its a different game, I play more hands because of the blinds, chase alot more, generally play alot looser,and at the play tables if I make a mistake I just reload, but yea I can still use everything I learned in tourny play. Hey thanks again!!!!

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aliengenius, Thank you for the heads up on the articule, very intresting, made alot of sense, I'll definetly read it more then once.

killerrat

killerrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I would wonder about your definition about tight. I would say you are an opportunist with MTT's ans Sit-n-go's. Ring games you really need to be patient, consider position, table image, and only getting into about less than 6 hands per thirty minutes.
Ring games are for the patient and well schooled. Might want to consider limit rings thus limiting your losses. Besides ring games serve a couple things, Bonuses, FFP's, and rake.
Have to think what you really want.

B

baconn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I think you need to find what works for you. It will take time and losing money but once you get a better idea, you can start winning. I play a pretty loose game at ring NL .1/.25 games. I'm in about 35% of the hands and play agressively. Stealing binds, bluffing, getting lucky but I've manage to build a nice bankroll. I think the most important is knowing your opponents, it's half of the battle.

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Killerrat, I am an opportunist u lose your concentration or make a mistake I will have your chips, you play ring games like I play tournys, play only premium hands, I tried that in ring games, generally I just broke even.I started to play in play money tables, just to get a feel for the game,it is a different game it has to be played alot looser and aggressively then tournys ,baconn does have a point it seems its alot more in your face type of game you have to go and get it because its not coming to you and you still have to use everything you learned an some about the game of poker. I'm not trying to be an ass but theres more to ring games then playing 6 hands in a thirty minute period, an I'm slowly realizing this, it's making me a better tourny player because of what I've learned playing in ring games I'll get the hang of it sooner or later, hopefully sooner, Hey thanks again (Killerrat no puns intended don't mean to offend)

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would it be better not to play the tourneys if you play the Ring games.

I agree with you.. I have found much much more success in the tourneys and free roles. Could be because I have less fear about losing (small investment) and play a little loser and through off the competition. My handle is NYPokerChick on poker stars and I notice guys go more on tilt when a women is beating them... (a little advice !) Also there are specfic and very different strategies for tourney play than to ring game. I consider myself a tight player with tilt overtures ! I prefer the tourney setting hands down.. Linda

My thoughts, if one plays the tourneys and the go to the Ring games. Does, the tourneys create bad habit that will cause one to lose on the Ring tables.

Thanks,

angie

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ring games call form more patience as the blinds don't go up. You won't be forced to make desperation moves that same as you would in a tournament

M

mange

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They dont pay attention.

I make most of my money in ring games playing a fairly tight game.
Most pros make their money in ring games as well.

Ring for steady cash, tourney for the odd big payday.

Tournament and ring game strategy are way different. Sorry I am not going to go on about it here as there are many good threads out there with this info. Do a search and take a look at the articles for the differences in strategy.

Besides that just listen to egon, most players are not paying attention at really low limits so you can play ultra tight and win.

I think you are right about most or many plays not paying attention in the small games.

I am a tight player. I will go 30 mins easy, not playing a hand. And, it does not take a 'Rocket Science' to know that when I bet or call, I have some kind of decent hand.

But, when I bet or raise, it seems, the other players 'cant get there money in fast enougt' calling with rags. And, then comes the suck outs.

lol
angie

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if one plays the tourneys and the go to the Ring games. Does, the tourneys create bad habit that will cause one to lose on the Ring tables.

I would suggest that it is good practice to switch games from time to time.

Personally, I have gone through periods when I played mostly Full Table Ring Games, then mostly STTs, then 6-max Ring Games. Currently, for some months now, it has been mostly MTTs.

I think it helps you to stay sharp and to keep growing and developing as a player if you sometimes force yourself to step outside your comfort zone and play a game style that is unfamiliar. I won`t pretend it`s easy though.

Top 10 Games