Thoughts on this hand?

R

rw11687

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing in a .25/.50 6-handed cash game on Carbon. To this point I had been playing a lot of hands, and taking down quite a few pots uncontested. The table was quite tight so I was stealing blinds whenever I had the chance. Then this hand came up.

Dealt KK one off the button, the hand is folded to me. Make a standard pot raise to .85. The button re-raises to $2.90 and the blinds fold. I re-raise to $7 and he flat calls.

Flop comes TQ5 rainbow. 1st to act, I bet half the pot - $7.17. The guy moves all in, which is only an additional $10 to me. I called and the guy shows AA.

The turn however, brings me a K and I win the nice pot.

Now, my brief analysis -

Pre-flop - Pretty standard play for me. I had been running over the guys blinds, so I felt like he could be re-raising with a decent range of hands, trying to slow me down and pick up a few chips. He had position post-flop, so the made the hand range even more open.

Although if I am him in that situation, I move all-in over top. One of two things happen, I have a big hand and call, which most hands that call here will be dominated by AA. Or I fold, still giving him a nice sized pot.

In both situations its better for him. If I was trying to make a move with suited connectors or a small pair, I am not going to call the all in. But by letting me see a flop, I could hit a set or catch some sort of draw that I am willing to go the distance with, considering how much is already in the pot. Just my thoughts on his play.

Post-flop - Actually a very scary flop for me, but I was committed at this point. I wanted to be the aggressor and put him to a decision, not the other way around. Once he moved all in, I had way too much in the pot to fold. However, I will say I thought I was beat.

When he moved all in, I had 3 hands in mind - AA, QQ, AQ. Two hands dominate me, only 1 I can beat at this point. A few years ago when I was in my prime, I probably would have decided to fold and save the $10. Then again, my skills were much sharper then and I may have had an overwhelming sense I was beat. Here, I felt like I was, but decided to call. Call it doubting my read, hoping for the best case (AQ), or simply having a lack of discipline. Whatever the case, I clearly made the wrong decision.

One small defense to the call (which looking back on it seems like it was more and more of a poor play), was the fact that I had been very aggressive. He may have been taking a stand with a hand like AQ, JJ, or even KQ. Not likely, but I do remember thinking it was a possibility, given how I had been playing.

Obviously I got very lucky to win this hand. Once nice benefit outside of the $ is that I have a little more confidence in my feel right now. But if I don't actually pay attention to it, I guess it doesn't do any good :)

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Last edited by a moderator:
sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they were playing real tight as you said, and they make a 3 bet and then call a 4 bet pre-flop, they must have a monster, either aces or kings in my opinion. (and probably not kings since you're holding 2 of them)
The c-bet isn't a bad idea, and at that point you are committed. There's no reason you should fold to the $3 reraise all in with $20 already in the pot. Turns out you were behind and you got lucky, I would've had a hard time folding that hand though, even if you were thinking they had aces. Congrats, hopefully I can get some of that luck that you have :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The range you assumed of AA QQ AQ includes 6 possible combinations of AA, 3 of QQ and 12 of AQ. Against the first two, you basically have two outs twice (so you'll win about 8%), while when he's trailing, he has five twice (20%, so you'll win about 80%).

.08 x 9/21 = .034
.8 x 12/21 = .457

So overall, you win about 49% of the time which means that mathematically, folding would have been pretty poor. With $31 in the pot that you can win by putting in another $10, the pot odds math points to calling any time you're no worse than a 3:1 dog.

R

rw11687

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the response guys. I knew I was basically committed to the pot after c-betting, but I hadn't really looked at the math. Very interesting numbers Arjonius.

S

stuedoopoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The day you fold KK on TQ5 irrespective of whats gone before is the day you should stop playing poker.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree with Stue, I just don't see myself folding KK pre-flop, and certainly in this case post-flop either. You were beat, but had know way of guessing it. Just bad luck for your opponent who played his hand well.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the response guys. I knew I was basically committed to the pot after c-betting, but I hadn't really looked at the math. Very interesting numbers Arjonius.
I wouldn't expect you to do the math at the table to arrive at the 49% figure. What's more important anyway is being able to assess (or guess) whether you have the pot odds to call.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why 4-bet and allow him to play perfect poker against you?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands