Thoughts on "The Grinders Manual" by Peter Clarke

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Has anyone read "The Grinders Manual" by Peter Clark?

I bought it a few days ago and I'm really looking forward to implementing the lessons into my game.

Has anyone else read it before and what were their results? I really just want it to create a solid 6 max strategy to begin expanding my game from but it says it's supposed to provide you with the knowledge to play up to NL100.

I'll post things from the book I find interesting in this thread too, I just wanted to know what others have experienced and their thoughts.

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great book. In his own words parts are outdated now but mostly still solid. It’ll certainly get you to a good level.

Highly recommended!

C

cs_rlewis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read it and honestly I was not a fan.
Way to technical in some parts
If you follow his preflop opens and defends from the blinds it has you playing like a nit at vpip 15%
I'm also not a fan of when authors input an example hand of how to play with one particular holding - a much better teaching way is how you would play your entire range using a hand matrix.
Jonathan little books in my opinion explain how to play your range better, his book mastering small stakes is a better buy.

Just my opinion anyway

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ive not bought the book yet but pokerstars School has lots of articles and video lessons from him. They are great. Its worth joining the school for his lessons on 6 max and spin n gos.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read it and honestly I was not a fan.
Way to technical in some parts
If you follow his preflop opens and defends from the blinds it has you playing like a nit at vpip 15%
I'm also not a fan of when authors input an example hand of how to play with one particular holding - a much better teaching way is how you would play your entire range using a hand matrix.
Jonathan little books in my opinion explain how to play your range better, his book mastering small stakes is a better buy.

Just my opinion anyway

I actually have Mastering Small stakes on my desk beside me lol. I usually play 6-max so I figured the Grinder's Manual would be a good place to start but I plan on moving on to some of Johnathan Little's books too. I have mastering small stakes and excelling at NLH also by him lined up for hopefully the near future.

Thanks for thoughts!!

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great book. In his own words parts are outdated now but mostly still solid. It’ll certainly get you to a good level.

Highly recommended!

Thank you Gabe! Would you possibly be able to point out some of the things he says are out dated? Or possibly point me in that direction where you saw this? I'd love to go over it and compare as I'm working through the book.

Ive not bought the book yet but Pokerstars School has lots of articles and video lessons from him. They are great. Its worth joining the school for his lessons on 6 max and spin n gos.

Yeah I heard about him randomly and had a quick look at his book on Amazon but when I saw he is a 6 max instructor for poker stars on YouTube it pushed me over the edge towards buying it!!

Thank both of you for your opinions!

G

Gabe16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 3B section in particular. He operates a 3B or fold strat based on GTO ranges now other than in bb now.

He’s mentioned things on his podcast.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like his book but gained more from these 3 books.

1. Advanced Concepts in No-Limit Hold'em: A Modern Approach to Poker Analysis
2. Applications of No-Limit Hold 'em: A Guide to Understanding Theoretically Sound Poker
3. 100 Hands: 100 Detailed Solutions to 100 6-Max Cash Problems

Last one was written by Peter Clarke as well.

I was a small NL2 zoom winner over c. 50k hands in Oct 2018 to Dec 2018
but didn't put into volume this year as I moved to play live low stakes cash game more - which is way softer than NL2 zoom.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like his book but gained more from these 3 books.

1. Advanced Concepts in No-Limit Hold'em: A Modern Approach to Poker Analysis
2. Applications of No-Limit Hold 'em: A Guide to Understanding Theoretically Sound Poker
3. 100 Hands: 100 Detailed Solutions to 100 6-Max Cash Problems

Last one was written by Peter Clarke as well.

I was a small NL2 zoom winner over c. 50k hands in Oct 2018 to Dec 2018
but didn't put into volume this year as I moved to play live low stakes cash game more - which is way softer than NL2 zoom.

Thanks!! I've heard Ryan Fee say Applications of No limit holdem was an incredibly influential book for him. I already have 100 hands queued up in my amazon wish list!!

I'm trying to move towards live games too but I'm no where near being able to afford the games about me with my current BR unfortunately.

Thanks again for your input!