Is there much difference (player skill) between 5 dollar max buy in and 2 dollar?

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone find that there is much difference between the next table up, for example going from $2 to $5? (Specifically cash games mostly) . I am referring to going to the next blind up of course. I am still with $2 max buy-in tables at the moment but was hoping that what I learn there is going to be more or less relevant to the $5 max buy-in games.

If it is much different (or you get that impression) could you state what you believe that is?

V

Vlad Nesterenko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you also need what you have learned to apply rationally here, rethink in your head and hone .. it’s not enough just to find out and see

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, which limits you are talking about. Typically there will be a fairly large jump from the lowest possible limit to the second lowest, because the complete beginners tend to end up at the lowest limit. So on sites with 2NL, 5NL and 10NL, the jump from 2NL to 5NL will often be larger than the jump from 5NL to 10NL.

Even when you move up, you will still find some very bad players (fish), who just dont want to gamble for a very small amount of money like 2$ or 5$. And the strategies, you learned a lower limits, will often still work against them. But the serious players (regs) will be better on average, since they will be those, who already graduated from the lower limit.

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn’t see much difference between the 2 and 5 limits. Both there are enough fish and strong regulars. They also bluff about the same, no more and no less! Yes, and there are also enough transfers at both limits. For me, the difference is between 2 and 5 there is no.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. As I have mentioned many times on my blog, the jump from NL2 to NL5 is the largest relative skill difference in all of online poker.

The reasons why are numerous. But the most important, as fundiver already mentioned, is because NL2 is the limit full of pure beginners and recreational players who are playing online poker (or poker in general), for the first time.

Whereas, NL5 is the 2nd stake. Nobody starts there. Therefore many of the players at NL5 have successfully beaten NL2 already, which is a small amount of people, because most people lose at poker. So the general calibre of player that you will encounter at NL5 is much, much higher.

Now with all that said, as I said, this is the largest relative skill difference. "Relative" being by far the most important word in that sentence.

Both limits are still an absolute walk in the park for any decent poker player. I have written an entire guide on my website on what to expect when moving from NL2 to NL5, which you can find here:

https://www.blackrain79.com/2016/03/moving-from-nl2-to-nl5-what-to-expect.html

T

texasfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank for all replies (special thanks for the bigger replies). I have read them over a few times but gave it a while before replying.

Actually about a year ago I did play a little of $5 max buy-in (maybe 12 hours or longer - cant remember) but thought I was too inexperienced to really get a good idea of whether it really was that much more difficult. I thought maybe my play was getting too brazen and hence lost a bit. I realize now my bank roll was too small back then as well anyway.

This time my plan was to build up enough playing $2 until I got a bank roll suitable for $5. Not so sure that is a good idea. It may actually be better just taking the dive into $5 again and just make sure I play with a somewhat modified tactic/ strategy to take into account there are less fish.

D

DrGreenthumb420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just stick to your br. If you think you can beat 5nl, it should take you about a week at 2nl to get to that point.

"modified strategies" regarding limits and bankroll are a dangerous path to take.
Best of luck :)

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. As I have mentioned many times on my blog, the jump from NL2 to NL5 is the largest relative skill difference in all of online poker.

The reasons why are numerous. But the most important, as fundiver already mentioned, is because NL2 is the limit full of pure beginners and recreational players who are playing online poker (or poker in general), for the first time.

Whereas, NL5 is the 2nd stake. Nobody starts there. Therefore many of the players at NL5 have successfully beaten NL2 already, which is a small amount of people, because most people lose at poker. So the general calibre of player that you will encounter at NL5 is much, much higher.

Now with all that said, as I said, this is the largest relative skill difference. "Relative" being by far the most important word in that sentence.

Both limits are still an absolute walk in the park for any decent poker player. I have written an entire guide on my website on what to expect when moving from NL2 to NL5, which you can find here:

https://www.blackrain79.com/2016/03/moving-from-nl2-to-nl5-what-to-expect.html

To funny i was literally just reading this the other day, love your content man!

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think there would be a big difference

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is enough difference, a wide difference, it is not the same of course having a good bank management to play the $ 200 entry to the $ 500 entry, they are two very wide differences, remember that we have to have good management banking to go up to the next level, even if we have the $ 500 how to play, it is not recommended, enter this level, for wealthy players I think there is almost no difference, but for a conscious player yes.

you have to know how to walk the path of life, evolve intelligently