Suited Connectors

D

Detroitguy113

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's your opinion on them? Before I played online poker I was taught it was a pretty solid call to make because you have a straight draw, flush draw, flush.. whatever else.

Since I have been playing more online I have come to think they are terrible. Everytime I have ever tried to limp or call and play them I have never hit anything. Really, anybody that likes them, how many times have you actually hit a straight flush?

Just curious.

evildoesit2003

evildoesit2003

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your right I dont really play them they are like winning the lottery they look nice but not much chance of hitting but keep trying you never know.:rolleyes:

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suited connectors are not very powerful in most online games because you are not generally deep stked enough to make them worth playing. Now after saying that if you are deep stk'd then they are worth playing. Also if your the type of player that has a hard time folding top pair or 2 pair then playing these hands might not be a good idea.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situtation. We could write a chapter in a book about this.

I like them if I think I there will be 5+ limpers preflop.
I like them to call short stack AI when the short stack is less than 75% of my stack.
I like them in the BB when defending a LP raiser (ie 3-bet)
I like them when stealing in LP against a blind defender who has a low 3-bet %

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i used to raise with 66 all the time and hope to hit a set, but i didn't hit any sets for a while with it, so now i fold

W

wes2310

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey man I like the suit connectors most of the time it just depends on the preflop bet. I have only hit the straight flush once while playing online. I think that it is a good hand to limp with but no huge bets. Now I have also hit many flushes with them.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i used to raise with 66 all the time and hope to hit a set, but i didn't hit any sets for a while with it, so now i fold

So subtle :rolleyes: yet oh so appropriate ;)

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends what they are. Playing 34 suited is foolish and you'd be hard pressed to find an experienced poker player who consistently plays that hand, even when in position. However, if you're talking about 910 suited or something, then it's a different story.

To answer your original question, straight flushes almost never happen, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't play 910 suited. I would almost never call a raise with them, but that doesn't mean not to play them. You have a couple options:

1) If you're in position, go ahead and limp in from the cutoff or the button
2) Again, if you're in position, maybe make a raise and see where you are. It's an aggressive play, but at a conservative table, it could be very effective.
3) If you aren't in position, you probably shouldn't play that hand.

A

AceHand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't remember any str8 flushes online, but a couple full houses. When the board pairs, like, 7's and you have one, it's usually the only one, unless a blind also has one. I even try a 1 gapper if I can afford it, in position, with a couple limpers already in. Couple days ago, I busted slowplayed A's for a bunch. The donks like me, that I play with, sometimes think that I'll play any junk then, and it can pay off later with a real hand, too. But ya really don't get SC's with the stars all alligned to play them that often. It's true, that most of the time they're a waste of chips, but they can really pay off on occasion.

Good Luck,
Tom

premierplayer

premierplayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise them in position.. if you miss bet like you have something else... your in position.

T

TurningStar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your right I dont really play them they are like winning the lottery they look nice but not much chance of hitting but keep trying you never know.:rolleyes:

Good one...but it is like they just don't hit. Just like you can't play them in every situation...u really also should not play them if it is not even worth it.

houcowboy

houcowboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play them occasionally, basically following Jilly's pattern (previous post).

As far as how have I done with them lately. I tend to hit more flushes than straights, for some reason. Makes it harder to play, but I have taken a couple of good pots with them.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like them.. they look pretty and they're sooooottteed :)

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on my pos,,and if theres a big raise and things like that.
I do like them in pos,, wher ei can see a flop cheap with them,but that goes for alot of cards for me.

whiteboy

whiteboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play them a lot, for similar reasons for playing low pairs - try to hit a set (flush or straight for suited connectors) and take someone's whole stack. the more donkish the players are, the easier it is to take their whole stack. they will go all-in with top pair :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As mentioned above... an entire chapter (or chapter(s) ) could be written on this in a book.
In late position if there are a few in.. I'm calling. Anytime I can call in LP for cheap, I'm calling.
Occassionally I'm raising with them if first into the pot (on a tight table and if my image has been pretty tight). I'm c-betting any A or K flop to represent top pr. if in against one opponent on a dry board.
If we're deepstacked,.. I'm playing them.
If I'm in EP and there's one limper, i may fold, especially if there are players to follow who are regularly raising and 3-betting the pot preflop (no sense in donking off chips unecessarily).
and so on & so on.. and if they tell two friends, and then they tell two friends....
GL!

C

Cobryn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love them in multi pots. You just have to know how to lay them down. I will sometimes call raises with them if the blinds are small in comparison to my stack.. because when I have 6/7 suited and the flop hits 77A... you're going to get a good deal of AK/AQ and AJ's stack. In position this is good because if a scare hard hits the flop and the initial raiser doesnt bet... I am.

FryGuy14

FryGuy14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
personally I like raising with suited connectors 56 and above if in position. I feel with so many different ways to make a hand they are worth playing. If someone comes over the top then I fold. Is this an alright way to play these? What would be a suitable strategy?

smeg

smeg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like suited connectors. hardly ever raise preflop with them but will call blind or small bet. But like most other plays the stack size determines the play mostly.

Archinutz

Archinutz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play sooted connectors often early in tournies, (as I am mainly a tournament player) due to the small blinds. During this times it don't matter too much to me about position, or any action prior to me. the risk, i find is small, again because of the size of blinds. Later tournie stages, many factors are considered before i play some suited connectors. Position, blind size, preflop action, patterns, etc. I tend to favor small suited connectors due to obvious reasons. As for strate flushes, i can only recall 2 or 3 times during countless hours of play. I know i got quads more often. People tend to remember the bad stuff rather than the good things in Poker. So you should keep that in mind when it comes to sooted connectors. I think some members here know what i am referring to.:joyman:

D

damsco0

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on a lot of things like your stacksize, image and what you are playing(tournaments/cash) and how far you are in the tournamentes.. When im far i tend to open with sc's earlier then with >a10 low pp. When i just joined a cashtable i dont open with scs , i only call in position with 98s and higher.

F

Flushbuster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like suited connectors, but you have to be careful not to commit your stack on small flushes

BrentD22

BrentD22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems that the consensus is that playing these types of hands is completely dependant on position and most importantly stk size.

Playing suited connectors is generally profitable when playing in position when effective stks are large enough for plenty of play. IMO it's important to have position with hands like this. If a weak player limps in EP or M/EP and I'm in LP I would generally raise to iso (if effective stks are large enough to warrent this play). It's important to understand that in general online players will call lighter than live. Because of this the implied odds in deep stk play with suited connectors can make playing them extremely profitable. Although just the opposite is correct - if stk are shallow and you have a hard time letting go of a weak 2 pair or top pair these hands are not to be played. Also when effective stks are short the implied odds are just not there with hands like this. Remember the effective stk is key. It doesn't matter how deep you are if there are short stks at the table still to act or already in the pot these hands are not worth playing.

P

p0cketAz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in online play i totally got rid of the whole suited connector philosophy and became patient for big hands... ya they are gonna be cracked every so often but you'll be on the winning side more often then the bad side

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I tend to play sooted connectors often early in tournies, (as I am mainly a tournament player) due to the small blinds. During this times it don't matter too much to me about position, or any action prior to me. the risk, i find is small, again because of the size of blinds. Later tournie stages, many factors are considered before i play some suited connectors. Position, blind size, preflop action, patterns, etc. I tend to favor small suited connectors due to obvious reasons. As for strate flushes, i can only recall 2 or 3 times during countless hours of play. I know i got quads more often. People tend to remember the bad stuff rather than the good things in Poker. So you should keep that in mind when it comes to sooted connectors. I think some members here know what i am referring to.:joyman:
Pretty sure I read this in one of Negreanu's articles.. hee hee.. actually I'm sure I have.