To straddle or not to straddle ?

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I was playing cash games online and noticed a button where I could straddle. If I selected this button it allows me in UTG position to basically steal the Big Blind position. What are the pros and cons of using this feature? When might it help me, and when is it unhelpful? How is it different some simply min-raising every time? All advice appreciated.

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, straddling simply raises the stakes of the game.

Every player loses money in the blinds. You put yourself at risk to lose more with UTG straddle. It also depends on your play style. I've seen loose aggressive players use the straddle very effectively and squeeze the rest of the table when it was limped to them.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when we raise in UTG position.it is advisable to have a very good hand.the best position to steal the blind is the button and the cut off.car you have the opportunity to speak almost last and the stroke of play with a much wider hand swing.

R

RedDawgz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally disagree with taking a straddle. It is essentially blind raising your hand. It can work, but as a generality I would rather see my hand and being UTG you immeadiately get the chance to raise if you wish to do so. No point in my view of straddling, but sometimes it can be useful, especially when you have a big chip advantage over anyone else at the table.

G

G00fyAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So a straddle is an extra forced blind, most generally from the UTG position, and in some games from later positions most commonly the button. The amount is most commonly double the bb; however in live games you often see rounding (1/2/5, 5/10/25)

This means that there is more money in the pot preflop and that the person to close the action preflop will most generally now be the person in the straddle position. This incentives players in later positions to open lighter in attempts to steal blinds and most generally leads to bigger pots being played.

I straddle in a few specific scenarios only:

1. If the straddle option is from the button and there are at least a few players to make effective stack against me 500bbs or more

2. If the straddle option is from UTG and there are at least a few players to make effective stacks 1000bbs or more

So as you can see my choice is heavily driven on if the table is playing deep enough. From here its also now about adjusting your preflop strategy and to a lesser extent postflop play as well; as an example, you could choose to make large raises (pot sized) when preflop from the straddle you are the last to act. By doing this with your premium hands and a few bluffs you will take down some nice small sized pots without contention and it allows you to play bigger pots when you have hands that dominate your opponents range when you both connect on the flop.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only straddle if everyone at the table will. Straddling outside of then is very bad.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Straddling is awesome , It actually makes people mad because now they can't just limp with marginal hands. It increases the action and Adds value to hands. Depending on how lucky I'm feeling Ill do it everytime.

Y

yedven

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG straddle is negative. You're OOP from flop. Button straddle is way better, but why do you need it, you're already almost last to act anyway. On average, straddle is a loosing game.

T

thestahurski

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to straddle to increase the action at slow/tight tables, if you can get a couple people on board the game gets a little looser, which should help you profit. I do agree from a straight betting stand point that it isnt worth it, and don't really need to do it online.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At a 9 player table, straddling in UTG is a losing proposition if you are only considering the money you are putting into the pot vs. the odds of winning the pot blind. That being said, the side-effects of straddling can more than make up for that.
If you're a tight player and you want to hide that fact then you should straddle because a person who is straddling every hand gives off a strong impression that they are just here to gamble and not play real poker. It makes you appear looser than you really are which, if you're good, you can capitalize on that when you have a good hand and no one believes you do because they think you're loose because you straddle.
A second benefit of straddling is that it annoys or even angers the BB and SB who end up losing their blinds or putting in double when they normally wouldn't have to. This is beneficial to you because any time you can annoy someone you can throw them off their game. Plus, with them being to your right, you're already at an advantage over them. So easing them into tilt is only giving yourself that much more of an advantage over 25% of your opponents which is a high percentage.

Playing shorthanded however (3 or 4 players), straddling is a MASSIVE advantage. Look at 3 players. After the flop you're the button so you go last. Normally, preflop you go would go first. but if you straddle, you get to go last the entire hand. Plus, in a 3 handed game the odds of your opponents catching a hand that is playable against 2BBs is far less than at a full table, meaning you can get a lot more folds to your straddle.

I guess to sum it up, if you want to piss people off and make people think you play loose then you should straddle in a full table. But if you're playing very shorthanded then you should always straddle.

THEBLUEJAYY

THEBLUEJAYY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I was playing cash games online and noticed a button where I could straddle. If I selected this button it allows me in UTG position to basically steal the Big Blind position. What are the pros and cons of using this feature? When might it help me, and when is it unhelpful? How is it different some simply min-raising every time? All advice appreciated.
If I had a chance to straddle I would I love making big pots players hate that

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Yes, you have the best position preflop (arguably even better than the button) with a UTG straddle - because you are the last to act.

It is loose aggressive because you aren't raising with "non-premium" cards - you are raising with NO cards....lol The blinds are forced to do it....but now you are just voluntarily pumping up the pot (out of position for the rest of the hand). GREAT!

But IMO playing the straddle is an art. You should consider going with the LAG line if you UTG straddle and playing it hard and taking the pot down on the flop or turn. Especially if the table limps your straddle to you - I like to raise big big preflop.

If you really want to learn more about this straddle option then consider using the straddle for an entire session on all your tables. And then going back to not straddling at all in your next session. And take note of the differences and see which method works best for you.

Good luck !