Snap Checks

bitowl

bitowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You flat a 3bet, flop is QK4 rainbow. Villian who's been aggressive and annoying all night checks incredibly fast.

What do you think this means?

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless you get to see his hand after the hand is over, you will never know what he has. But if you do, it will tell you a lot about that player. It will also tell you a lot about that player if you have a chance to 3bet back at that player, and many times he will fold. But only do that if you have a stack big enough to handle the loss if he fires back.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You flat a 3bet, flop is QK4 rainbow. Villian who's been aggressive and annoying all night checks incredibly fast.

What do you think this means?
You're giving us half a story here, what about you? Is this the first time you've called a 3bet? have you been folding to them previously? Where did you open from?

Most likely either villain smells trouble and will fold to your next bet, or he's hit a monster.

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could mean different things. I notice sometimes players are using the call/check ... check/fold advanced options. I put a min bet in if I suspect this is the case. If I have an actual hand I will take my time as to give the other player a chance to uncheck the advanced options and check back trying to induce a bluff on the turn.

Could also be a Quick Check / Trap.

bitowl

bitowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're giving us half a story here, what about you? Is this the first time you've called a 3bet? have you been folding to them previously? Where did you open from?

Good point. I was flatting a lot of his 3bets because I was minraising on the button and cutoff and he was only 3betting to 6-7bb from the blinds. He kept barreling me off weak 2nd pair hands and at least once he check/called the flop with K2suited on a dry Kxx flop and caught me bluffing a river. Basically he was godmoding me with a weak range all night and I couldn't connect with a flop. I 4bet him twice. Once, he flat called and open jammed the flop on QJx and I folded my A4ss. Another time we got in AK vs AK preflop. Generally I'd classify him as a bad aggressive calling station but annoying to play against when card dead.

Hand went down like this for the curious,

Hero on CO with AQ

minraise, villian 3bets small, i flat

KQ2r

snap check, check

turn 7

villian bets half pot, i call

river K

villian checks, I bet 1/3pot, he 3x's, I think to myself this guys been playing so aggro and barreling me off hands all night... yet that flop snap check is so weird. I call and he has KQ.

I think I'm ok with my call since villian was a bit of a spaz but snap checking the flop after 3betting is so suspicious... maybe I should have known better. Not trying to turn this into a hand analysis thread but like you said context matters.

bitowl

bitowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, literally 30 seconds ago a guy check raises a 2flush flop. I flat. Turn is 3flush and he snap checks... obviously he had the flush.

Pretty convinced snap checks are ultra strong in big pots now. I think its a result of fishy players and bad regs wanting to slowplay everything and also not knowing how to valuebet. In smaller pots where someone is just giving up its a different story.

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been known to snap check like this when im first to act from an early position.

Why ... Im doing it when I hit the flop. This depends on the amount of players too. Im trying to get them to set the mark and get a read on them.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely either villain smells trouble and will fold to your next bet, or he's hit a monster.

^lol

If you were folding a ton to his 3bets then him slowing down could be caution but seeing as you're playing back at him that's less likely

if an aggro tard snap checks, be cautious

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When you play against such an aggressive player, you need to wait for a good card and

When you play against such an aggressive player, you need to wait for a good card and only through this you will be able to win it. It is very difficult to understand how such players play. Once he can bluff and you can make a pass, and the second time he can have a nuts and you can call and lose the whole stack. I can advise you to be patient, and wait for a good card and do not pay attention to the fact that he constantly raises. Set a goal to wait for the nuts and win as many chips from this opponent.
In your situation, I think that your opponent just wants to win the pot, and most likely his card is weaker than yours. But what this is to understand, you need to call, only so you will understand right you are not. I have such an opponent in offline poker. When I play against him, I get patience, and when I get a good card, I win to the maximum.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a big hand or nothing, go ahead and fire a moderate size bet. If you have a moderate strength hand and you are afraid he will chk raise ya off the hand, then just check.

If you have a decent hand, and chk the flop, if he bets turn and river, call him down.

If you have a big hand, raise him obviously.

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone snap check maybe they are trying to trap you or maybe they don't have anything you won't know to you see there hand check if they check and see if they had hand.

drolin

drolin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the villain may be opening a pair of JJ and want to see the end cheaply or is letting you bet since you gave a 3Bet.