Sitting out the blinds.

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I play ring games I come across the jokers sitting out the blinds. They then pay the blind to sit in after they pass. Is there a significant advantage to that strategy? I would think not but I am often wrong about this kind of stuff. What do you think?

R

rllngn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think this is a disadvatage since the person has to post the sb with the bb when they come back in that situation. I try not to let the blinds pass me like that and usually will find a different table to play at. It also forces people to play that hand since they got more money in it at the start.

psy0nyd3

psy0nyd3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whenever I have to go do something or take a break I wait until I'm UTG to sit out so that could be what they're doing. You've seen people sit out after UTG and then post the dead blinds on the button? Seems pretty weird and they're paying the same amount to miss 2 hands..

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You'd actually be missing 3 hands cause you're not allowed to post OTB. You have to wait for the CO to post. Essentially you're paying a SB + BB for 6 hands instead of 9.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone is doing that, they are a bigger fish then expected. Make a note and collect their money when you get the right hand. (They are playing the blinds with dead money-even though they may have better position).

A

arrytus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose that some people don't want to feel committed to play bad hands in the blinds. You might try and take advantage of that fact, that perhaps they can't get away from hands as easily, and like to bluff more or have a tendency sometimes to try and suckout.

C

cam84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes sitting out can work but if u on tilt that can help u if u sit out i dont wanna sit and try too win that way is not good dont you agree????

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think if they are doing this all the time that they are pretty weak-maybe even novice players. Take their money.....

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that is a mistake. If no one rises when you have the BB you lose a free hand even if your cards are junk. I have won one a few hands when they hit and everyone limped in. Now if you are the SB it cost you nothing for a look and all you have to do is fold your hand.

C

cubixguy77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only way i could conceive of it being an effective strategy would be if the table were tight to the point of his being able to effectively exploit his position against either a single or couple of opponents. if he can win the hand in that spot often enough, I might give him credit, but I think it would be rare that he would actually get +ev from it.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it's really not worth it. Paying 1.5BB per 7 hands rather than 1.5BB per 10 hands makes your BB per hand 0.21 rather than 0.15. A 30% increase in blinds paid per orbit.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most money efficient way to play poker is to sit in when you are the big blind and leave after you have played from the cutoff.

There is no "strategy" reason for sitting out the blinds without some extremely odd circumstance. If someone on my table were doing that they might as well have a giant neon blinking "DUMBASS" sign on their head.

J

Johnnybmoto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most money efficient way to play poker is to sit in when you are the big blind and leave after you have played from the cutoff.

There is no "strategy" reason for sitting out the blinds without some extremely odd circumstance. If someone on my table were doing that they might as well have a giant neon blinking "DUMBASS" sign on their head.

If you are going to take a break, play your UTG hand, sit out and post your big blind on the next orbit. Why would you want to spend money in your worst position and then sit out when you have the best position?

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought "UTG" and typed "cutoff". ;) Surprised no one caught it sooner.

zveri666

zveri666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think it is an advatange because they will be paying the same price (SB and BB) for 3 less hands (you cannot be dealer without paying blinds). So however many people there are at the table (for example if there are 8). If you do this "trick" you will play 5 hands instead of 8. The only thing i could think off is that it forces you to play in the hand and also makes it more likely that someone will try to steal the blinds + ur SB n BB.
hope this helps