Shortstack Strategy (opinions)

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi i started to play nl10 with the shortstack estrategy. I never really liked that much this strategy but it's great to unlock the new bonus on full tilt, so i give it a try.

I'm not very used to play cash games, i play mainly sitngos, so i didn't wanted to start with the hole stack.

So far i'm doing pretty bad, after 7 days playing i'm -$5,23 dolars.

I'm started to get a little frustrated, for now i'm playing sessions of one hour with 4 tables at the time. Two or three sesions for day.

¿What do you think about this strategy?
¿Does anybody ever won money playing it?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SS is all about volume and rackback/FPPs, your trying to take advantage of such small edges that if u dont have rackback and cant like 24table you be much better of just buying in full and learning how to play deepstacked poker.
Also at 10nl your winrate would be much higher by buying in full if u just put a litle time studying since the play at 10nl is prett bad.

Beeing down 5$ shouldnt surprise u since shortstacking is extremly varience high and even the best shortstacker would hit months of break even/losing poker(besides most of SS money comes from rackback)

And finaly, all shortstackers burn in hell :p, no offence...

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, good luck getting help on how to shortstack, lol. Most people will tell everyone and anyone who will listen how much they want shortstackers to die.

Gl though, I only know how to play against the SSers :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What exactly is your short stack strategy? If you can stand the high variance, you can make money, although it's somewhat harder at mico-limits since the rake is a higher percentage. In any case, the key is to identify players who fold too easily. By focusing on them as much as possible, you win more small pots without going to showdown.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That was legit L'ingOL Belgo, nice

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i don't like to play this way either but i still don't have a bankroll to play deepstacked. I think i'm going to get back to sitngos anyway.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please tell me that we are not going to have another arrogant thread in which some of the less polite (and more conceited members) abuse those who choose to play in a different style, one which does not suit their awesomeness.

I lost much of my respect for certain CCers the last time you did that. Please don`t make me despise you entirely.

:(

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please tell me that we are not going to have another arrogant thread in which some of the less polite (and more conceited members) abuse those who choose to play in a different style, one which does not suit their awesomeness.

I lost much of my respect for certain CCers the last time you did that. Please don`t make me despise you entirely.

:(

i assume you refer to https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/ring-why-do-people-not-like-156068/ and i'm the arrogant CCer you lost respect for? Let's just say it's reciprocal.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is the thread I meant, but I purposely named no names. It is not my intention to pick a fight with any individual. I do, however, think we should all remember that CC is a friendly forum, and it is not in the spirit of this place to insult people who do not play as we prefer.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That thread actually had some solid discussion about the kind of edge shortstackers exploit and how to adjust to minimize the damage they inflict on the games. Mixed in with a few insults, that's true, but it had more useful content than 95% of the threads in the strategy forum.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so discuss the strategy and leave out the insults. Then we will all be happy. :)

Velutha

Velutha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post some hands, at micro limits it should work very well.

I'm pretty sure there are several threads around CC stating the exact opposite; that short stacking is not profitable at the micro's due to the rake. amirite?

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm pretty sure there are several threads around CC stating the exact opposite; that short stacking is not profitable at the micro's due to the rake. amirite?

it's profitable as soon as most people at the table play a preflop hand selection that does not do well 20bb deep. at higher stakes, the deep stacked regs do that because it's correct 100bb+ deep, so the shortstackers feed on that. At micro stakes, people do that because on average they are fishes.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i don't like to play this way either but i still don't have a bankroll to play deepstacked.
The variance you encounter is more defined by the size of the blinds, not by the size of your stack.

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was given some advice here and will pass it along. Never mind the bonuses and concentrate on improving your game. If you learn to play winning poker this will more than make up for any bonus you receive now. As for short stacking this will limit your winrate. So I wouldn't try to pursue this and go with a game you like best and try to get better at that.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players who prefer deepstack play dislike this, either because they dislike being forced into changing their style of play or, perhaps more often, because they lack the skill to change gears and therefore become unprofitable in the presence of short-stackers.

Interesting...

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing with short-stackers, is if they can do it well they can play a style that is in fact unable to be exploited by others playing correct strategy for 100bb+ deep.

However, you are going to be really hard-pressed to find such a thing as a good short-stacker anywhere below 400nl.

I can't really give you any advice on how to do it correctly, cuz I like deep-stacks, and that's what I stick to. From what I hear it's a pretty mind-numbing style to employ.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyway i apologize, i tought this was a community and that we the members are here to support each other, to exchange opinions, to clear out some doubts that we could have. I have encountered, in some of the threads that i've made, some people that i would prefer they don't post at all. They just not trying to help anybody.

Some questions pop up to my mind:

¿Why they write comments only to say unproductive things?

¿What's the point of being an asshole with those people who are just starting to play the game?

¿Arrogance? ¿Why? ¿What are they trying to probe?

Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves, i don't know. I'm starting now to ignore the post of certain people in this forum.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing with short-stackers, is if they can do it well they can play a style that is in fact unable to be exploited by others playing correct strategy for 100bb+ deep.

However, you are going to be really hard-pressed to find such a thing as a good short-stacker anywhere below 400nl.

I can't really give you any advice on how to do it correctly, cuz I like deep-stacks, and that's what I stick to. From what I hear it's a pretty mind-numbing style to employ.

I was not asking for advice on how to play it, it a extremely simple style to play. I just wanted to know if anyone of you ever try to play like this, and what were the results.

I'm guessing not :rolleyes:

jewboy07

jewboy07

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Removed the derail, let's get back on topic please.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I wouldn't exactly call it simple either. It's simpler than deep-stacks because a wider range is going to be worth jamming on the flop, or committing on the flop/jamming any turn, but I don't think you'll be able to just auto-pilot, playing some magical hand range and make a profit.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, you're right. What i was trying to say was that is much more simple to play than deep-stack. This is because you don't have to make so many post flop decisions. Once you entered i the hand is pretty much bet or fold. And most of the times you will be all-in preflop.

I didn't meant to be arrogant with that post, like i got all figured out (not even close, i'm still a fish).

Stu_Ungar

Stu_Ungar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not worth perusing a SS strategy at micro stakes.

1. The skill level is such that you should be able to beat it provided you put in some real study and practice.

2. The edge you have when playing a SS strategy is very small, therefore you need to be playing over 20 tables rather than 4.

3. As the edge is so small, rake is an obstacle. You will need rake back,, but even then, the amount paid in rake cancels out most of your tiny edge. Therefore you need to play at stakes where the rake is capped, i.e. 200NL and above.

4. At micro stakes, players do not always play with definable ranges and therefore it becomes harder to play a shove / fold strategy against a player who doesn't realise that, whilst his hand has value, it doesn't have enough value to justify his call against your range.

5. SS strategy is somewhat cancelled out by the presence of other SS's at the table. Many microstakes tables have several SS's at them, making Table selection much harder.