B

BILTIZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The following are questions for experienced players :
so lets say u stick to BM and ur playing good poker
1- Whats the preferred time to play ? some say in the afternoon or at night when online poker rooms are filled with fishes (especially nowadays due to coronavirus quarantines) is a lot better than in the morning when mostly grinders are online ?

2-how do decide ur session length ? i mean lets say were playing cash games and ur winning for example 100 BB and its been 1 hour do u stop or do u continue ?
another question rises here lets say ur up 100bb and u have QQ and someone goes all in do u risk calling and losing after an hour of grinding ?

now for Sng how long is ur session?

3-when do u stop playing a session in case of loss ?
is it 3 out of 5 in SNGs?
or 50 bb in cash ?

last but not least how often do u take a shot at bigger stakes than ur bankroll allows?

i know these are personal questions but for a beginner like me its really important to have them answered as they always come to my mind unanswered
thank you.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Some good questions here for sure.

1. I prefer to play in the evening from about 6pm onwards, however, I know there are plenty of pro out there that like to get up in the morning and grind all day like a 9-5 job.

2. I normally aim for 2-3 hours. As I work a "normal" job during the day, I find beyond that I tend to lose concentration a make poor plays. Sometimes though I am fully in the zone and will play for much longer to take advantage of playing my A game. I'm almost never folding QQ in this situation unless I have a specific read (notes) on the player that has shoved all in. You cannot have a results orientated outlook, if you are folding QQ in this situation, you are not maximising your winning potential.

Stop losses are really important; in cash I will not reload more than 4 times.

Tournaments really depend on how well I feel I'm playing. As the variance is so much higher, it's not unreasonable to play well and still lose 10 straight buy-ins.

I would advise taking shots at bigger levels, unless you are super disciplined.

From a cash perspective you want to have a bank roll of 50 buy-ins of 100 big blinds, or 5,000 big blinds, so at $1/$2 you need $10,000. To move up to $2/$4, you need $20,000, however, it's not unreasonable to take a couple of shots (2 buy-ins, or 200 big blinds) when you get to $18,000, so long as you have the discipline to move back down if it doesn't work out.

Google Bankroll Bible for Jonathan Little's approach to bankroll management. As someone who has never gone broke, he is someone I would listen to more than most.

B

BILTIZ

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you so much for your reply and ill google it thank you