Scared of playing aces and kings?!?!

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live 2/5 every day, usually 2, maybe 3 sessions a day. I find myself in positions i dont like with over-pairs pretty often.

It seems like there is always pressure to play a huge pot when you have aces or kings. Obviously that is fine when you flop top set, but when you don't it can be sorta weird.
I have a hard time calling off my entire stack with a single large pair, even (and sometimes especially) on a raggedy board. So i usually just play them super fast, but when somebody is calling huge bets on a fairly dry board its hard to think they have less than a single pair. Am i just thinking about this passively or is this a problem that occurs to other people?

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This shows a huge problem in your overall game.

I suggest learning cash fundamentals.

Upswingpoker has some great material for you.

PokerDragon99

PokerDragon99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Especially playing live, that should actually be much easier.

But you have to get comfortable with your cards, board and enemy ranges.

Normally there shouldn't be a big problem staying AG

F

Fernando2890

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The good thing is to make a high bet to measure the hands of the players

monstr999999

monstr999999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Protential ...
competently said ..))
:call2:

TenJack

TenJack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This shows a huge problem in your overall game.

I suggest learning cash fundamentals.

Upswingpoker has some great material for you.

I think you have misunderstood the post. I love aces and kings. they are my first a second favorite hands. I know how to play them, and I know how to win with them. And i am not afraid to play a huge pot. You can read my analysis posts and see that. After all, i have been playing this game professionally since before Moneymaker won the world series. I was just sorta saying how occasionally you get put in a spot that is uncomfortable. Thats it lol.

I guess the tittle makes it look worse than it is. Sorry if i come across as defensive :top:

Kingpoetmusic

Kingpoetmusic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play AA and KK fast I usually raise like 6x the big blind or more. Most of the time I am all in preflop with these hands if my position is early.

I don't find the need to raise and let my opponent see free cards on my high pair. I see alot of people raising 3x the big blind or just doubling it with AA or KK. Very bad idea to me. I'm happy with winning the blinds and most of the time you will get called with a smaller pair or AK, AQ, or KQ.

Play them fast and don't let people see cheap flops to outdraw you!

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is quite normal feeling with AA and KK. When the money goes in with the over pair, hero is mostly just surprised that he still has the best hand =) Psychologically these hands are different than for example with QQ, with ‘AA and KK you can only lose’ because winning is default. I think clear game plan against player type helps to break (well at least squeeze over) this barrier with also defensive game plan implemented.