risk the box with this type of hand

CERRATO505

CERRATO505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have this doubt about the profitability of playing the box in this type of plays, I explain that I have adequate KQ I open to 3bb the villain raises me between 9 to 12 bb it is equal to K comes out, 7.3 I bet 2/5 of the pot the villain It makes me raise is equal to 10 steps and the villain bets me 3/4 of the pot I paid and a 2 step comes out and the villain makes me all in. I think about it and end up calling and the opponent has AA, this play has happened to me several times now when I enter with KQ it is to look for a flush or a straight but with a partner sometimes I decide better to withdraw for fear of being left out with AA, KK, AK, do you think? Is it okay for me to fold even if I have the highest pair? I think of calling only when the bet is small, but if the big bet is better, fold

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have this doubt about the profitability of playing the box in this type of plays, I explain that I have adequate KQ I open to 3bb the villain raises me between 9 to 12 bb it is equal to K comes out, 7.3 I bet 2/5 of the pot the villain It makes me raise is equal to 10 steps and the villain bets me 3/4 of the pot I paid and a 2 step comes out and the villain makes me all in. I think about it and end up calling and the opponent has AA, this play has happened to me several times now when I enter with KQ it is to look for a flush or a straight but with a partner sometimes I decide better to withdraw for fear of being left out with AA, KK, AK, do you think? Is it okay for me to fold even if I have the highest pair? I think of calling only when the bet is small, but if the big bet is better, fold

Thank U 4 Posting

The 3 bet preflop hand you describe the range for the Villain has AA KK QQ AK . Post flop if the villain wants to get all their chips in on a Kxx board we need a read on that villain for us to think we should not fold. We would need to know the villain would think QQ JJ 1010 KJ K10 is ok to 3 bet preflop and stack off with. Very few players do not think we might have AK after we raise call a 3 bet.

Hope this helps
:):)

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In poker the answer is almost always "It depends". Factors to always keep in mind are: Player type / stats, Position, Stack size, Bet size. Against some very tight players (nits with very low 3B frequency) you will want to fold KQo to a 3 bet, especially out of position. Against some very aggressive maniacal players you may want to 4 bet KQs.

In general without all of this info I'll assume we are out of position (OOP) since we bet first on the flop.

Pre: Your call pre flop is probably fine against most players but as noted already, when someone 3 bets pre flop they are saying that they have a very strong hand. And if we just call, we are indicating we have a strong but probably not super strong hand (or we would raise again).

Flop: Even though we paired our K on the flop I would check and call to keep the pot small. We will want V to bet here when he has QQ-TT, AQ and if we bet in front of them they may fold limiting our money won. We also want to keep the pot smaller against his best hands like KK+, AK. We can still improve to two pair or trips if we are behind (except against KK). Betting flop into the 3 bettor is a large mistake in my opinion and may have cost you your stack. As played when we bet and get raised we should probably fold.

Turn: The 2 doesn't change much unless we know that the opponent is capable of bluffing big. Try to think of which hands that they could have where they want to go all in and we can still beat them. The answer is, there aren't any. So we have to decide if this V is bluffing often enough for us to win often enough to be profitable here. I think the answer is usually no unless we have seen this opponent make this type of play before.

Last edited:
D

Delfino

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a simple rule. Never get busted with a single pair. Even with Aces I would be very afraid of giving all my money away to a set. KD is not a premium hand and obviously this guy is representing AA, KK or AK. I would have folder at some stage, probably when raised on flop...

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands