Ridiculous Line?

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, I must apologize for the lack of exact stack sizes and suites in this hand, my tracking software didn't capture the hand.

Was my betsize overkill or was this a decent line as an exploit?

Reads: SB and BB are both regs who 3bet 7ish percent and squeeze. My hand sample on them wasn't huge so that's all I know. The stakes were NL20 but with a much weaker than average pool with many players who limp. Can't comment on how good the regs are. My stack was about 60 and SB was 30 and BB was 25.

BU (Hero): TT - Bet 3bb
SB: Call
BB: Call

Flop: T67r

SB: Check
BB: Check
BU (Hero): Bet 1.5x Pot
SB: Reraise 3x
BB: Fold
BU (Hero): Shove
SB: Calls and shows 77 and mocked me for my bet size and targeting only 6 combos :eek:

My thinking was that this flop hits both SB's and BB's ranges, I didn't expect SB to ever call with connectors or bigger pairs since they work better as 3 bets, but I was expecting him to setmine with middle and small pairs. Likewise I expected BB to have a lot of 2 pairs and draws and only 1 hand that has me beat. So I overbet thinking it's likely one of them will call or re-raise with worse. I also knew both of them were capable of re-raising that flop (and in that sense maybe I should have bet 2/3 pot instead to induce a reraise?).

Is this a profitable play? Or was my logic off?

Last edited:
LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, I must apologize for the lack of exact stack sizes and suites in this hand, my tracking software didn't capture the hand.

Was my betsize overkill or was this a decent line as an exploit?

Reads: SB and BB are both regs who 3bet 7ish percent and squeeze. My hand sample on them wasn't huge so that's all I know. The stakes were NL20 but with a much weaker than average pool with many players who limp. Can't comment on how good the regs are. My stack was about 60 and SB was 30 and BB was 25.

BU (Hero): TT - Bet 3bb
SB: Call
BB: Call

Flop: T67r

SB: Check
BB: Check
BU (Hero): Bet 1.5x Pot
SB: Reraise 3x
BB: Fold
BU (Hero): Shove
SB: Calls and shows 77 and mocked me for my bet size and targeting only 6 combos :eek:

My thinking was that this flop hits both SB's and BB's ranges, I didn't expect SB to ever call with connectors or bigger pairs since they work better as 3 bets, but I was expecting him to setmine with middle and small pairs. Likewise I expected BB to have a lot of 2 pairs and draws and only 1 hand that has me beat. So I overbet thinking it's likely one of them will call or re-raise with worse. I also knew both of them were capable of re-raising that flop (and in that sense maybe I should have bet 2/3 pot instead to induce a reraise?).

Is this a profitable play? Or was my logic off?

I like the play. But keep in mind villain heavily missplayed the hand. I think it's to faceup against a thinking opponent. You are getting action here from a straight only after polarizing yourself so hard.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the play. But keep in mind villain heavily missplayed the hand. I think it's to faceup against a thinking opponent. You are getting action here from a straight only after polarizing yourself so hard.
Thank you for the feedback :). It's much appreciated. I was thinking maybe I can also have an appropriatly large number of overbet bluffs in this spot given this bet size? Ideally I wouldn't have a value only range here.

Also I was hoping would get a shove or call from 2 pair or better which one of the 2 players was likely to have. Especially given that the average population in this poker room is too loose, thus regs assume many players will shove stacks with only medium strength hands. My hud also showed my stats as 36/28 because I was running hot with a small hand sample so I guess that helped paint me as a maniac lol.

But I wonder if from a solver's standpoint this play was bad.