Rebuy rules for 2NL?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, just recently began getting into cash games from tourneys.
I see players never rebuy until they've completely lost their stack. But I generally rebuy if I get below 80 big blinds. Is there a general rule of thumb I should be following or does it not really matter?
Trying to build my roll and not just at 2NL for shits and giggles if it helps answer my question.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm
SSS vs FSS.
My short stack strategy is simple. I buy-in with minimm, it's 40bb. I leave the table with 120-150bb if it's a tight table, or will stay around if the table is full of fish. Changing gears from TA to LA sometimes... it depends on few factors.
SO
I rebuy only when I'm at zero with SSS.

As for the FSS it's good to keep auto top-up function turned on if you're TA. 100bb all the time, since you want maximum value... For Tight Passive style with FSS it's good to represent image of the fish and add money when you're under something like 65-85BB.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the player. Some feel that it's easier to play with a max stack and others want a shack that they can shove and get called from.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you think, you are one of the best players at a cash game table, it makes sense to always sit with the maximum allowed buyin to give yourself the chance of winning as much as possible. I personally use auto top-up on pokerstars and 888 Poker, and so do most other regulars on the sites.

There are some people, who prefer a cap stack (40BB) strategy, and there are arguments for and against this. For me personally though I dont really like it, and one of the reasons is, that if you really want to follow it, you have you leave a table, as soon as you won a big pot. And that kind of sucks, if its a good table.

nera75

nera75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that the stack should be at least 100 BB

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you think, you are one of the best players at a cash game table, it makes sense to always sit with the maximum allowed buyin to give yourself the chance of winning as much as possible. I personally use auto top-up on PokerStars and 888 Poker, and so do most other regulars on the sites.

There are some people, who prefer a cap stack (40BB) strategy, and there are arguments for and against this. For me personally though I dont really like it, and one of the reasons is, that if you really want to follow it, you have you leave a table, as soon as you won a big pot. And that kind of sucks, if its a good table.

Yeah I've seen players do that: buy in with the bare minimum. Just figured they were broke but the same players consistently do that. Didn't know there was some strategy behind it lol. Seems more profitable to top it off before it even gets that low

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I've seen players do that: buy in with the bare minimum. Just figured they were broke but the same players consistently do that. Didn't know there was some strategy behind it lol. Seems more profitable to top it off before it even gets that low

Most people, who buy in for the minimum, are just bad players. Maybe they feel, its more exiting to play higher stakes, so instead of putting their 2$ on a 2NL table, they put it on a 5NL table and so on.

Some however are decent players, who just prefer the more mechanical nature and lower variance of playing with a shorter stack. With 40BB a lot more situations become an automatic stack-off, and when you are all-in, you can no longer be outplayed.

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use auto top up as well. There is an option to do this on most poker sites. When your stack dips below the maximum it automatically tops up.

0815am

0815am

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You want to have at least as much BB as the weaker opponents on the table.

I generally have auto topup to 100BB enabled.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You want to maximize your wins... so auto top up to 100bb's.
Also, getting your feet wet at 2nl, you want to learn to be playing with a 100bb stack. As you will begin to recognize, there are certain ways a 100bb stack plays out in different situations.

If you're posting hands in HH analysis section, I'll try to give you my 2 cents worth (pun intended ;) )

Poker Rules - Poker Games