Range Discussion in low stakes games

B

bassguy1965

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all, I am at the point where I am trying to apply some strategies about my range vs villain's range and I have a few questions.

Question One:
I play 1/3 and 2/5 NL and it seems that there aren't really any ranges that I can put anyone on as there doesn't seem to be a bottom side of the range. (we have all felt the sick 63o loss)

If I am trying to put them on a range, does it matter if they are Crazy loose?

It seems, as I understand it, the original hand equity/ range advantage I have over them is more conservative if I calculate the villain as having say the top 35% of hands but he truly has something closer to the top 50%. Does that logic track correctly? Is there a good default range I should use in these calculators, or is it better to just go with random XX hands?

FollowUp: Should I be using range at all to predict how someone may have hit the board? I find myself saying things like no one would be on a range that includes X and Y. Then of course they turn over X and Y. Should I stop trying to eliminate hands on the low end of a range?

Question Two:

I play a fairly ABC tight range based on position similar to the ones described on this site. I have also been hearing that I need to throw in some pre flop bluffs as raises or 3 bets (Small AXs 89s, 9Ts) to balance my range.

How often should I be doing this and at what point are these then really just part of my range?

Question Three:
If I am playing a hand with the thought of using it to balance my range, if it doesn't make it to showdown, does it matter? I am starting to feel like the YouTube Gurus are living in a world where everyone can see their hold cards and THEY need to have opening hands like A2s as 3bets because they do need to show the world their range.

Thanks in advance,
Bassguy

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great questions

Hello all, I am at the point where I am trying to apply some strategies about my range vs villain's range and I have a few questions.

Question One:
I play 1/3 and 2/5 NL and it seems that there aren't really any ranges that I can put anyone on as there doesn't seem to be a bottom side of the range. (we have all felt the sick 63o loss)

It seems, as I understand it, the original hand equity/ range advantage I have over them is more conservative if I calculate the villain as having say the top 35% of hands but he truly has something closer to the top 50%. Does that logic track correctly? Is there a good default range I should use in these calculators, or is it better to just go with random XX hands?

FollowUp: Should I be using range at all to predict how someone may have hit the board? I find myself saying things like no one would be on a range that includes X and Y. Then of course they turn over X and Y. Should I stop trying to eliminate hands on the low end of a range?

Question Two:

I play a fairly ABC tight range based on position similar to the ones described on this site. I have also been hearing that I need to throw in some pre flop bluffs as raises or 3 bets (Small AXs 89s, 9Ts) to balance my range.

How often should I be doing this and at what point are these then really just part of my range?

Question Three:
If I am playing a hand with the thought of using it to balance my range, if it doesn't make it to showdown, does it matter? I am starting to feel like the YouTube Gurus are living in a world where everyone can see their hold cards and THEY need to have opening hands like A2s as 3bets because they do need to show the world their range.

Thanks in advance,
Bassguy

Thank you for posting.

Let me answer the simplest questions first #2 and #3. You balance your range when you know your opponents understand you are using an exploitative range. If your villains call you with anything when you 3 betnbsp; AA KK QQ AK only you never have to balance that. Balancing ranges works vs thinking players who fold JJ preflop when you 3 bet or fold JJ on 259 flop when you continuation bet. If no folds and you are getting full value you NEVER have to balance. Play exploitatively until it stops working then balance.

#1 How to range loose aggressive players?nbsp;
We have to work harder on gathering data on loose players than tight players because they play a wider range.nbsp;
We have to adjust our range on every street as villains often play all streets. We also keep their range wide as you found out with villains playingnbsp; 52 for 3 bets preflop for example.

Here is a great video about range adjustments vs maniac players. It may not be exactly right to your situation but it is an excellent way to begin learning.

Hope this helps
:):):)

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

If they are crazy loose the 63o can be in their range if they are crazy tight it cant be so it matters ye. Some players can have those hands the Tag's Lag's and Nit's wont in atleast the majority of situations.

dragunovich

dragunovich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think that u need to play a strong poker there i mean, something like tightaggressive Styles so, just play well, don't make to much hero calls and that it

Top 10 Games