pot odds greater than the odds

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
something a bit annoying and sometimes complicated but very necessary as are the odds so in the cash we have to take them into account so I bring this that is easy to keep in mind when we play and not make us online that is very simple if our pot odds exceed to the odds it is always profitable to pay is to say that we will win more than what we will lose

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
something a bit annoying and sometimes complicated but very necessary as are the odds so in the cash we have to take them into account so I bring this that is easy to keep in mind when we play and not make us online that is very simple if our pot odds exceed to the odds it is always profitable to pay is to say that we will win more than what we will lose
I think I know what you are getting at here.The short answer is yes. The whole idea of pot odds is to make decisions that will result in a net gain if repeated hundreds or thousands of times.

If, for example, your odds are "1 in 3", then calling 1/3rd or less each time will result in breaking even or being profitable.

The key here is that it works over a long period of time so bankroll management is essential.

Proper bankroll management keeps you around long enough for the strategy to payoff.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing good poker does require a lot of thinking. Working out the pot odds -vs- the chance of your hand improving at the table to decide if the call is a good one is very cognitively demanding.

You are hoping that you do the math correctly and ...

• Call when you ARE getting proper pot odds
  • Fold when you ARE NOT getting pot odds
In online poker it seems to me that ANY TIME the flop has 2 of the same suit players are willing to call off all of their chips on the draw without regard to the stack sizes and odds (pot/effective/implied).

When playing online, do you take the time to work out the pot odds on making a call for all of your chips with a a flush draw? Do you instead call off all your chips without doing the math and with the thought process of "I have a lot of outs" and hope to get lucky?

luiaguila

luiaguila

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing good poker does require a lot of thinking. Working out the pot odds -vs- the chance of your hand improving at the table to decide if the call is a good one is very cognitively demanding.

In online poker it seems to me that ANY TIME the flop has 2 of the same suit players are willing to call off all of their chips on the draw without regard to the stack sizes and odds (pot/effective/implied).

When playing online, do you take the time to work out the pot odds on making a call for all of your chips with a a flush draw? Do you instead call off all your chips without doing the math and with the thought process of "I have a lot of outs" and hope to get lucky?
you are right in online poker many players are going to pay every time they have an exit and many do not even calculate if it is good to pay that bet

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, it's way to complicated, and besides you would need to have proper records to see if this time you can call or not. Maybe last time AQo brought you 3 times more pot odds than your odds and you won. Next time you get less pot odds, but you have already some credit on your AQo, so you can make this cheap call and win again. How is your AQ running now?
Winnings for sure, but to be honest, to use this strategy ALWAYS correctly, you should have your laptop always with you and run an accounting software. I go with: I have 15 outs, I'm in.
UNFORTUNATELY in most cases the winner is a FH with his 2 outs, so please let math out of online-poker, play your cards and opponents. Sometimes you win, sometimes the others loose.:icon_stud:beerglass

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Doing the reverse calculations also help size your bets to take away the odds for someone who isn't "bothering to do the math"

J

JordieChloe

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds

But you don't have to go all in if you think you have the best hand vs. someone you think is on a draw. All you need to do is bet enough so they are not getting the correct odds to call. If they call anyway, and you were correct in your assessment of their hand, you will win more than you lose, even though they will draw out occasionally. 2 to 1 dog to complete a 4 flush after the flop.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator