Pot Odds

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you given much thought to pot odds? The maximum odds you will get from the pot are 8/1, assuming that all players come into the pot. For an explanation, say you are sitting in the button in a $10/20 game, and everybody before you plays. At this point there is $150 in the pot, (six players and the blinds). If both yourself and the small blind play, the pot tops out at $180. (No not 9/1, your $20 is already in)

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with antes and sb or bb position you easily get to 10/1

509fio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every hand. Anything that helps make decisions is good info to have.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Have you given much thought to pot odds? The maximum odds you will get from the pot are 8/1, assuming that all players come into the pot. For an explanation, say you are sitting in the button in a $10/20 game, and everybody before you plays. At this point there is $150 in the pot, (six players and the blinds). If both yourself and the small blind play, the pot tops out at $180. (No not 9/1, your $20 is already in)
Is this a different take on pot odds compared to the traditional take? Maximum is 8 to 1? Does it not also depend on stack sizes and who bets how much?

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Not sure what your point is about this.

You described a limp pot. If there is a min raise to $40 and everyone calls - for another $20 you are getting 16:1.

I have folded the BB in this scenario w crappy hands like 82o and the entire table including the dealer are giving me grief because I'm refusing such incredible pot odds. LOL

I might consider raising big in this scenario but I'm not calling with that hand OOP lol

Good luck !

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Poker Mike

But i do call with hands that can make a straight or a flush in that situation :D

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man there is some wooly thinkong here. Let me try and explain. Take a $20/$10 and an ante of $2 game, the antes make no difference to the odds, your ante is already in the pot, making your contribution $22, and the ratios are still the same, ie 8/1.
Sorry, but this is about odds and nothing to do with stack size
Assume it's a limp pot and all 9 players play, there is $198 in the pot. The flop comes down and UTG bets $!00. If everyone bets and it comes round to you and you are last to speak it will cost you an additional $100 to play in a $998 pot, costing you a total of $122 to play (your $22 is already in). your odds are still 8/1. This is an extreme case and it will never happen Lets simplify it. Same pot UTG bets $100 and 2 players call, making it a $498 pot. Your input to the pot is $122 if you want to play and the odds are now 3.9/1

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds are a very important aspect of the game. Understanding what the odds are for you to get the nut hand is very important, because without knowing that than understanding pot odds doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Implied odds are a very important aspect of the game as well. Let me see if I can give an example of pot odds and how to use them correctly. Playing a $10/$20 game, $400 is in the pot, 4 community cards have been shown and I have an open ended straight in which I will have the nut hand either way, There is no chance for a flush or a full house. I have 2 opponents left on the table. One opponent bets $100. The second opponent calls making it a total of $600 in the pot. For me to call I need to have around 6 to 1 odds roughly. I have an open ended straight. That means 8 hits out of 46 cards lefts which comes to 17.4% chance of winning. Hence, the correct choice would be for me to call. This doesn't even include money that can be made after I hit my hand. That category falls into implied odds. I hope this was educational for someone.

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure what kind of analysis this is since limped pots from everyone in the hand is not common and shouldn't be considered. Say you do hit an hand on the flop either way... it better be really good... plus people could also have hit something good and have you beat. You dont really have to great of implied odds that out weigh reverse implied odds in my opinion. stay away from limped pots with trash hands just cause your getting X:1

Good Luck!

J

JeetsMcskeets89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best Cash Game Play

In my opinion you can gain alot of information if you are the aggressor and have control of the table just make sure you manuever your money on the up sides of things win more money on good hands and less on bad ones but show a little bluff to get people to call ya whole stack off lite.

B

bidearm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is interesting,learn something new all the time

D

djsviga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pot odds is definitely an important thing in the game, mostly if you are the one closing the action, meaning no one after you act can raise or re-raise, putting you in a tough spot when you called just considering your pot odds with mediocre hands. GL!

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator