Post Your Note Taking Tips

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought it would be cool if we all posted our note taking examples in here and what we think is most relevant (given how many sites have a character limit).

Mine are like this:

3B = capable of 3betting

3B-nit = 3 bets monsters only

F2CB33% = folds very often to small cbet of 33% (basically a fit or fold player)

F2FltTrnB = folds when I float his cbet and bet turn

FltCB = floats lots of small flop cbets

Req2Brl = requires 2 barrels

F2TBrl70% = folds on second 70% PSB barrel (basically a fit or fold player or floater who see's the flop cbet as a good price but gives up with a bigger turn bet)

minBetBlf = person who bets small as bluff

minBetVal = person who bets small for value (I add MW at the end to specify if they only do this multiway to build a pot)

bigBetBlf = person who bluffs with big bet

DrwSttn = Station with draws regardless of bet sizes (unless you bet real big)

SttnPre = preflop station

Sttn = River rat

ShvDS = maniac who shoves a deep or medium stack often

ShvsMnstr = Person who shoves AA-QQ

then I also write in ridiculous hands at showdown if I see a certain player play them. Like if someone plays K9o from UTG I will write K9oUTG. Or if they shove garbage or 3 bet garbage I will write Shv-K6s or 3B-K6s.

I also start the note with LAG, TAG, Maniac, StationWhale, AggroWhale, Fit/Fold, etc

What are some examples of notes you take which you find the most useful? :)

I'm still trying to optimize my note taking and I'm looking for example/suggestions.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a long time notetaker and have found that it's best to keep my notes real simple. I use: super-tight, super-loose, bluffy, super-aggressive, limps every street, plays any two (i.e., super-loose on steroids), shoves a lot, sticky and idiot.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Hmm, to me it looks like you would save yourself a lot of time if you just played with HUD and learned how to interpret certain stats.

I use color-coding, and as general rule I saw on taking notes - make a note whenever you saw on the river a hand that you weren't expecting to see there.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, to me it looks like you would save yourself a lot of time if you just played with HUD and learned how to interpret certain stats.

I use color-coding, and as general rule I saw on taking notes - make a note whenever you saw on the river a hand that you weren't expecting to see there.
Huds dont work where I play anymore :(. I have one but since moving to a different country can't find any sites that allow it here. Moving over to chico network as soon as the support team verifies me though so won't be needing to take notes anymore.

I still think there is merit to notes while you have a small hand sample on someone though,

Last edited:
dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's funny cause this whole day I was thinking about I should write my points of taking notes in a thread. Ventrolloquist, yours are complicated, but the anagrams are great. :)

I just have 5 notes: bad player, agressive, medium opp., thight, good player. And as I see from which category my opponent from, I usually get closer to understand the actual move better.

As you do, of course. But I don't want to know that much about them, when we get into the party, I still want to play it with that acknowledge and with the cards as well.

At the end of the day, the method we use personally, it will help us in hard situations. And nice to read that you guys are care about informations like this just like me. :)

Edited: Sorry , but I did not see that we are in cash games topic. :D I thought we are talking about tournaments in general. So if it's cash games, then more notes can be acceptable, cause you'll not sitted away, and you'll have same opponents till you want. :)

Last edited:
ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's funny cause this whole day I was thinking about I should write my points of taking notes in a thread. Ventrolloquist, yours are complicated, but the anagrams are great. :)

I just have 5 notes: bad player, agressive, medium opp., thight, good player. And as I see from which category my opponent from, I usually get closer to understand the actual move better.

As you do, of course. But I don't want to know that much about them, when we get into the party, I still want to play it with that acknowledge and with the cards as well.

At the end of the day, the method we use personally, it will help us in hard situations. And nice to read that you guys are care about informations like this just like me. :)

Edited: Sorry , but I did not see that we are in cash games topic. :D I thought we are talking about tournaments in general. So if it's cash games, then more notes can be acceptable, cause you'll not sitted away, and you'll have same opponents till you want. :)
Thanks for your thoughts :)

I have found that some of the things I wrote can be pretty important in cash games. Because it can mean the difference between losing your stack and winning a stack. For example how tight they 3bet.

Poker Tips