Poker Training Videos - your opinion on Gripsed

itsmebobd

itsmebobd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well guys I came across some poker training videos on youtube I found pretty helpful. Gripsed seems to be the best info i've come across lately. I have learned quite a bit, my biggest problem seems to be my tournament poker style just doesnt adapt well to the live settings i play in, the tourneys are 5-7 tables, more like a SNG, and the cash games well, I had trouble adjusting before.
I learned exactly why I'm getting stacked, buying in short is putting me in bad situations. I recently picked up a 2nd job only for obtaining a poker bankroll again. I had about 4k a few years ago and an ex wiped it out by not paying the electric for 6 months and not telling me, on top of a new clutch I was broke and never recovered, and just cant seem to ever find myself in a spot to get ahead. After finally rebuilding my life I think it's time to start grinding again.
Blah off topic, but what do ya think of gripsed? He seems to know what he is talking about and i've already improved quite a few leaks in my game, and learned why I was running into such high variance in the cash games (A bunch of NIT's, LAG and TAG players) and I was playing them too general, not differentiating them.
I would suggest the videos for anyone who has read a few books, has a basic understanding of the game and is serious about trying to making a run at it

Eatscake

Eatscake

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gripsed is quality for people that have just learned the basics and want to become intermediate players. To become better than micro youll have to go elsewhere but at microstakes you cant go wrong with good old Evan Jarvis. I recommend his MTT strategy guide. Maybe its about 6 parts. Its so good for basic players.

itsmebobd

itsmebobd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gripsed is quality for people that have just learned the basics and want to become intermediate players. To become better than micro youll have to go elsewhere but at microstakes you cant go wrong with good old Evan Jarvis. I recommend his MTT strategy guide. Maybe its about 6 parts. Its so good for basic players.

Sigh I was afraid of this :( I just havent seemed to grasp the things I need to playing for this long. Then again I havent really applied myself like I should have, reading books and playing lots of hands is only the tip of the iceberg. I do love some MTT's, perhaps the switch is cash is ill advised? I just see so much easy money at our local cash game 3x a week 1-2 NL. I have officially taken a break from poker for the moment, I'm not properly rolled and its affecting my play, my confidence and learning. What i'm afraid of most is learning a billion new things, applying them all incorrectly and blowing the roll when my cash game play when I was properly rolled was sufficient to keep me making money. Grrr, these 12 hour days everyday just have me too beaten down and tired to spend time learning and all this extra ya HAVE to do to make it. And i'm not old, but im not 21 anyone so the energy just seems to not be there at the moment. Any advice?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What i'm afraid of most is learning a billion new things, applying them all incorrectly and blowing the roll
You don't have to learn a huge amount to beat the micros. Simply playing solid poker is enough. Note that this is a recipe for winning, not crushing. I've seen plenty of players who thought they could take these two steps at once, but not that many who succeeded.

itsmebobd

itsmebobd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't have to learn a huge amount to beat the micros. Simply playing solid poker is enough. Note that this is a recipe for winning, not crushing. I've seen plenty of players who thought they could take these two steps at once, but not that many who succeeded.
Yeah, the local 1-2 game is just as soft if not softer than micros. It's like playing 2-5 cent on bovada

long_bong

long_bong

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you miss anything just replay it over and over until it sticks :)
Yea naaaah, honestly he does talk to fast for me lol and it kind of tilts me. But hes a great player for sure. Just some peoples voices make other cringe :p

No hate tho. Great video maker, player and grinder.

:)

D

d4tart

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The gripsed training videos are great and best of they are FREE. Not many things in life are free especially knowledge. Another FREE youtube channel that can may be able to you out is Jason Somervilles. JCarver.

T

TheNoobie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find his videos very helpful. Best of that its because its free. You can say that they are for novice player, but I think there is always something new to learn that you have missed. I watch most of his videos, sometimes listen to them when playing. Its helpful. And his walkthrough tourneys are a decent asset to his yt channel also. I think its important to see a tournament from the winners point of view. So, if you are looking to learn something new you can watch his videos, he might not be the best, but its a guarantee that you will learn something you didnt know before.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like Evan's videos and have found them helpful and informative. Ther are not many better resources out there for the price.

I have seen other comments about his speed, his little tics and so on. So far as the tics are concerned, they either detract so much that you are unable to concentrate or you can cope with them (have to say they are less noticeable since he upgraded his microphone). As for the speed, as others have said, replay those parts that you miss the first time until the light bulb comes on. :idea:

In all honesty any training videos of the same length as most of his are going to need to be viewed more than once anyway to get the most benefit.

BTW:
I've just noticed that the OP bears a striking resemblance to the aforementioned Gripsed.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Gripsed rocks, I love his videos, I haven't watched them all yet, but I intend to :)

long_bong

long_bong

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Evan's videos and have found them helpful and informative. Ther are not many better resources out there for the price.

I have seen other comments about his speed, his little tics and so on. So far as the tics are concerned, they either detract so much that you are unable to concentrate or you can cope with them (have to say they are less noticeable since he upgraded his microphone). As for the speed, as others have said, replay those parts that you miss the first time until the light bulb comes on. :idea:

In all honesty any training videos of the same length as most of his are going to need to be viewed more than once anyway to get the most benefit.

BTW:
I've just noticed that the OP bears a striking resemblance to the aforementioned Gripsed.

love your avi! Elephants :p we never forget :)

itsmebobd

itsmebobd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

BTW:

LOL im prob close to 70 lbs bigger than him :) Anyhow, thats about a 3-4 yr old picture. Anyhow, I think his videos are pretty good. I was a bit discouraged at first by some of the comments, but you cant argue with success and being at his level is good enough to make some big tournament scores and a solid player, thats the original goal isnt it? hmmm

Landopope

Landopope

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Evan's videos and he has really helped me build a base knowledge of poker. Also check out his stream on Twitch if you haven't.

R

Randy Guys

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, I checked gripsed would be really helpful for beginners or immediate poker players, but if you are in advance level then you should go for microstake.

G

greedisgood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gripsed, jcarver and xflixx are the best video's you czn watch on YouTube about the micros. Some of the pokervip video's are good as welll.

For a real boring explanation you can watch Ryan fee 6max strategy guide.he gives a good explanation what ranges to play etc.

Best of luck

Sincerely

Greedisgood

G

greedisgood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gripsed, jcarver and xflixx are the best video's you czn watch on YouTube about the micros. Some of the pokervip video's are good as welll.

For a real boring explanation you can watch Ryan fee 6max strategy guide.he gives a good explanation what ranges to play etc.

Best of luck

Sincerely

Greedisgood

Kryss

Kryss

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Team Gripsed BABY!

but yeah he is amazing, and the way he breaks everything down is perfect. He has a cerebral approach at the table, with a nice grounded perspective on the highs and lows of poker outside of the table. He is also a really cool dude.