Pocket pairs in early position?

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. NLHE 6 Max ZOOM cash game on pokerstars.
What pocket pairs should I play in early position, 22-AA or 88-AA?
I usually open raise when I'm the first to enter the pot with any pocket pair.
I don't like to limp unless I'm limping behind another player as it's too obvious that I'm set mining.
I set mine with any pocket pair 1010 or lower because I'm almost guaranteed over cards or against a higher pocket pair.

Here is an example of 22 under the gun. This is only a play money example since I started debating on whether to fold 22 in early position.

PokerStars Zoom Hand #166276915007: Hold'em No Limit (50/100) - 2017/02/15 22:09:04 ET
Table 'NLHE 50/100 6 Max' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: La Pitis (18967 in chips)
Seat 2: rogate57 (5763 in chips)
Seat 3: jimmywelly (15795 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero (10000 in chips)
Seat 5: flasco77 (7732 in chips)
Seat 6: robpaquitao (10095 in chips)
rogate57: posts small blind 50
jimmywelly: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [2s 2h]
Hero: raises 300 to 400
flasco77: folds
robpaquitao: folds
La Pitis: folds
rogate57: calls 350
jimmywelly: calls 300
*** FLOP *** [5s 8c Qh]
rogate57: checks
jimmywelly: checks
Hero: checks
*** TURN *** [5s 8c Qh] [5h]
rogate57: checks
jimmywelly: bets 100
Hero: folds
rogate57: folds
Uncalled bet (100) returned to jimmywelly
jimmywelly collected 1146 from pot
jimmywelly: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1200 | Rake 54
Board [5s 8c Qh 5h]
Seat 1: La Pitis (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: rogate57 (small blind) folded on the Turn
Seat 3: jimmywelly (big blind) collected (1146)
Seat 4: Hero folded on the Turn
Seat 5: flasco77 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: robpaquitao folded before Flop (didn't bet)

G

Gaai1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think opening deuces under the gun is going to cost you money in the long run, but then again it depends on the kind of players at the table.
When there's a lot of action preflop I would fold here. When the players are tight it's possible to play this hand this way. But only when c-betting when the flop is checked to you. Without a c-bet this isn't going to be profitable at all, I think.
I normally play deuces from around MP.

marieemce

marieemce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont open any pocket pairs in UTG and UTG+1 unless they are 10s JJ, QQ, KK, AA

It can coast a lot money that we dont need to expend.
But I dont know, its my way to play.

Matanzima

Matanzima

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look, I play this cash zoom 6 max that you said.

I like low pairs, post flop you have the third card equal with ace on the board does a great damage ... my best pots are based on these moves.

U

Urii

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play with pairs on hand is reasonable but can get moving ,so don't suggest Alan from the start)))

B

Bluenipps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
From UTG I think limiting the pocket pairs you play to at the lowest 88+ is the way to go. Any lower and there are too many flops with overcards and weird textures that will get you in awkward spots that are only well played with opponent knowledge, in Zoom you won't likely have this information.

T

thomasguy3419

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From UTG I think limiting the pocket pairs you play to at the lowest 88+ is the way to go. Any lower and there are too many flops with overcards and weird textures that will get you in awkward spots that are only well played with opponent knowledge, in Zoom you won't likely have this information.
Is this the same as for UTG+1 or is that middle position and can open up more pocket pairs? What do I do when I raise 88 UTG and over cards flop? If under cards flop will opponent have higher pocket pair or only if they re-raise preflop?

Last edited:
AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never raise utg pocket pairs less than 88 that is my rule :) But of course it is always better to raise pocket pairs in UTG positions than just call i guess

Miester646

Miester646

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually open raise when I'm the first to enter the pot with any pocket pair.

It's ok to just limp in with low pocket pairs..(2-9) You're hoping for a set so when you get the chance, limp in and you can float under the radar. All depends on your position and the aggressiveness of the players before you.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early and middle position with pocket pairs 22-99, I usually try to go to the game limping. If the flop did not come out the set - there is depends on the opponents play, an option I usually bet and further on the situation. Well, if on the good, with pocket pairs 22-99 in early position is better to fold.

B

Bluenipps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this the same as for UTG+1 or is that middle position and can open up more pocket pairs? What do I do when I raise 88 UTG and over cards flop? If under cards flop will opponent have higher pocket pair or only if they re-raise preflop?

I think its typically referred to as MP but is still technically UTG+1 at 6 max so either or.

There are no strict rules but general advice would be to play those hands from CO or BTN; CO you will have position post flop most of the time and BTN you will always have position. Also in these positions your opponents range will be weaker so your hand will perform better in general.

I'll give an example but it really does depend on how board flops etc. Say you open raised 88 from the CO pre-flop and button calls, everyone else folds. Flop comes J72 rainbow, admittedly I've chosen a nice flop for our hand but there is still an over card. On most 'dry' boards like this a cbet of around 40% pot is good because it can:
1. Take the pot down here, we realise our equity now.
2. Get a call from 78, 67, lower pocket pairs and broadway combos that like to float.
3. Build a pot whilst ahead of opponents range.
Occasionally they have us beat with a pair of J but more often then not this isn't he case. From here, depending on how the board draws out, I would keep the pot relatively small as the value here is alot thinner than if we were to hit a set.

If under cards hit, occasionally opponent will have a higher pocket pair but with 88 they can also have many lower pairs, suited connectors and overcards to the board that need to improve. The later the position of the opponent the wider the range of hands they have becomes and thus the more often we are ahead with the mid range pair.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play online but I will say this..

Just limp in with any pp utg that isn't aces and only occasionally aces and kings. No gamble no win say it's 2-5 nl simply bet 5 if it's raised to 15 or so call get luck with 33 flop a-3-9 rainbow check call take the whole stack.. Conversly limp with 44 raised to 50 fold. 30 hands later limp kk raised same call flops comes 4-7-j check make him bet at it call and as they say give him so rope to hang himself. They way you play one hand out of position gives you the opportunity to play a much better one the same way in the same postion later.. This is the bait that will kill the button as you lie in the weeds waiting to show him aces. With any low pp your trying to hit the 1-8 set I mean what else would you be trying to do with it cause it certainly wont beat qj when the flop comes 55-j and you think my 2 pairs of 44 and 55-j are good.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
with pocket pairs up to TT is to see a flop, but also if the raise was not large, but all in all much harder :(

nimburkx

nimburkx

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
alot of times in tournaments i met stupid donkeys who goes all in with pocket 2 against me AK, and most time iv lost for 2 2 . So need to be sometimes very carefull to go all in with even 2 2 or AK both of them are almost danger all in cases...

Stefanell75

Stefanell75

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always pairs are dangerous, no matter whether they are 22 or someone else.
AK is always in danger

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell you which hand to play and which does not depend on your opponents also the limit of bets and the aggressiveness with which they play for regulating an Ak AA kk is good hand but it would be very convenient to fold those hands if they go all in si You do not want to be out in any case of the tournament as you can risk and win

T

TCashMoney19

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally, in 9 max games, I fold 22-66 UTG, UTG+1 and UTG+2. It's really tough to play these hands OOP unless we flop a set, which only happens about 12% of the time. We can be outplayed by draws, floats and just better hands and I've seen people level themselves into some really dumb calls with low pocket pairs on certain boards when they're out of position simply because they just don't want to be bluffed. These types of hands tend to play much better in position, deep stacked where you can get the most value out of your hand. 77s are borderline and you can make the best decision for you based on the flow of the table, but I think you're playing wayyy too tight if you're folding 88s and 99s if there's not already an open raise in front of you.

In 6 max, it kind of all depends on the dynamic of the game. If there is a lot of 3betting light and squeezing, I'd tend to fold these UTG and maybe UTG+1. However, you can't get in a habit of folding these in the later positions, as they are solid hands to play. For 6 max, generally, I'd fold 22-66 UTG in an aggressive/frequent 3betting table, and open them if my opponents are tight/passive.

An important thing to note here though, it all depends on the player dynamic and what you're comfortable with. Some days against certain opponents I will never open 22-66 UTG and other days I will be more than happy to open them UTG against certain player types. It's all about being aware of your own abilities versus certain player types, and what makes you most comfortable.

But for the average poker player, I'd suggest folding 22-66s UTG in both 9 max and 6 max tables.

Senneville

Senneville

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
usualybet and if is a small pocket pair I call a raise but not a re-raise. Like 3-4-5 bet I dont call with under pocket 10. But its depend of the day if I'm loose or not lolllll

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
your Bank 30 thousand from the opponent raises to 3-5 thousand, why not call? to see the flop. despite the position I will always make the call.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can agree with most opinions in this topic, but play money is a bit different animal than nano stakes.

@thomasguy, in play money 50/100 zoom you can open all pairs, if you get a set you are most likely paid if you get raised pre you can happily fold, also hands go to showdown without any action quite many times and your 4th pair wins. Then again most profitable play, imo, is probably just limp because if you limp for 100 most will raise you with 100 only, while if you see large raises they are mostly with very strong hands. Also if you raise some hands like Q2o that would play for stacks with top pair might fold, because they are giving you range of AK, QQ+ or air.

Also raising 3bb (300) doesn't really mean anything, so to have any fold equity you should raise about 500-700 and that is (imo) too expensive with low pair.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To add: So actually if you are planning to advance to nano stakes, I suggest that even when profitable you just do what is suggested here and skip small pairs in early positions. Otherwise, you need to relearn that part later.

deform fedot

deform fedot

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With these pocket pairs need to play carefully.

Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
22 is too loose from first in. You shouldn't play any pair lower than 66 UTG in a six max game and even this might be too loose.