Pocket 9s on the BTN

J

JackleOfCrackle

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, had a spot in a session yesterday and wondering what would be standard here.
Game is live NL 2/5

Villain is a complete unknown as we just sat down but he is sitting with around $560.

The table at the moment is 6 handed and I am on the BTN.
Villain is UTG and raises to $15. Folds around to me.
I look down at :9s4::9h4:.
I think about 3 betting here but decide to just flat as I don't really want to turn my hand into a semi bluff and in position I'm happy to just flat here against an unknown?

Flop comes :10d4::4c4::7d4:

Villain raises to $18 and I call.

Turn comes :2s4:

And villain raises to $42

River is a :8c4:
And villain raises $130

Hero?????

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, had a spot in a session yesterday and wondering what would be standard here.
Game is live NL 2/5

Villain is a complete unknown as we just sat down but he is sitting with around $560.

I think about 3 betting here but decide to just flat as I don't really want to turn my hand into a semi bluff and in position I'm happy to just flat here against an unknown?

And villain raises $130

Hero?????

First off villain never raised anywhere except for pre. and it's an open raise.

I'm fine with your flat pre. Your flat on the flop is "OK" Villain can have some FD's but we are beat a lot in this spot.

I like folding to the turn bet I feel like we are already behind on the flop and the blank on the turn plus villains close to 3/4th pot bet is tough for us to call when we aren't beating a whole whole lot.

If we call and villain bets pot on river you can hero if you want but I think you're putting more dead money in the middle. you may call and see Axss and look like a wizard but most of the time I feel like you're donating here.

JMO

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Game is live NL 2/5

And villain raises $130

Hero?????

I'm paying to see it. And you might be good for the win!

He could have a T or an overpair or even less likely a set. But what is he playing from that position? Did he come to gamble?

Good luck !

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm paying to see it. And you might be good for the win!

He could have a T or an overpair or even less likely a set. But what is he playing from that position? Did he come to gamble?

Good luck !

Any unknown should be getting a TAG range. TAG range has all the pocket pairs and AT in it villain leads every street I feel like you're punting here with 9's.

As I already stated in my post you can hero off but you're more than likely paying him off. I can see this being profitable from a late position opener but not so much from an uknown opening UTG. I'm sure there will be varied views on this, this is JMO

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any unknown should be getting a TAG range. TAG range has all the pocket pairs and AT in it villain leads every street I feel like you're punting here with 9's.

As I already stated in my post you can hero off but you're more than likely paying him off. I can see this being profitable from a late position opener but not so much from an uknown opening UTG. I'm sure there will be varied views on this, this is JMO

I like your logic but the button's nines block the straight and 99 is just too strong to fold on that board.

So let's assume he's TAG....he could be betting 99 off the hand with a big Ace. Remember, 99 looks like he's just defending the button.

I think the river bet is most suspicious. If he has AA or KK he should consider check calling the river and allowing the button to value himself. Also, the board is in the button's defense range. The button could easily have 2 pair or better on the turn.
Overpairs, any T and small to medium sets beat 99.

Plus the range info.

I guess you want me at your table to pay off all the newcomers for their range info. lol

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like your logic but the button's nines block the straight and 99 is just too strong to fold on that board.

So let's assume he's TAG....he could be betting 99 off the hand with a big Ace. Remember, 99 looks like he's just defending the button.

I think the river bet is most suspicious. If he has AA or KK he should consider check calling the river and allowing the button to value himself. Also, the board is in the button's defense range. The button could easily have 2 pair or better on the turn.
Overpairs, any T and small to medium sets beat 99.

Plus the range info.

I guess you want me at your table to pay off all the newcomers for their range info. lol

You nailed it :) You pay for it and I'll gain the knowledge with ya.

proud2Bwhack

proud2Bwhack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to go with Memphis here. how many people are three betting a dry board from OOP with something less than a pair of 9's? since we have no info on villan, we have to just say how many times are we ahead here on average? the three bet alone is not a bluff more than it is a value move.

The flat is fine BTW, you are in position to see a flop with the chance of flopping a set, if he shoves over your 3 bet, you're are folding...

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why do you even ask this type of question when you already know the answer?Poker is the game for rich people.If you dont have strong bankroll then i suggest you to play freerols and tournaments most of the time until you build one.Seeing that you play table 2/5nl cash game and as you described you already followed villain on the flop and turn then only logic what can you do now in this position is to follow him to the showdown.You could decide to cut the expenses by folding but then you definitely lose your money and you focus ion next hands.By going to the showdown yes you may lose much more but you already have strong bankroll and there is still a chance of wining which can earn you some nice sum of money.Without risk there is no reward.

F

fishinabowl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have folded or raised 3x on the flop for sure.
If you just call on the flop, you are most likely folding or hero-calling on turn and river. The chances of improving your hand are not very likely. You need 9 or backdoor straight. You called an unknown opponent 3 times with middle pair. It's a good board for nines, sure. But you have zero information on your opponent.
This is just really bad poker play, sorry.

By raising the flop you'll either have a much cheaper showdown, or a much easier fold on any of the next two streets. And the chances of a successful raise-all-in on the river become greater after raising the flop.

Last edited:
makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It smells like a straight with a 9J! Maybe a bluff, but not so possible. You are playing with the risk of a better hand. Yes a hero!

V

voooky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost likly he had a value hand, it is possible to call, but i do not this tha it is a good idea, there are too many hands which better thand our. I would fold, easy..