Pocket 2 pair in Omaha

K

kknutt17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is pocket two pair a heavy hand in Omaha? Should you raise before the flop? I realize that the 3 of a kind has a greater possiblity of occurring; however, would the risk of a straight or flush make you play the two pair a little more conservatively?

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends which 2 pair. 2299...no no AAKK...yes yes. Aso it depends if you are suited, or even double suited.

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i 'd consider what two pair it was.
if there was any suited connectors,if they were high cards.
theres alot to factor into it.
but yes i'd consider two pair a good starting hand in omaha.

T

THGE

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have two pair, just pay, don't raise. Much time you lost with two pairs in Omaha.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is the old `depends` that always happens when playing poker.

If I have say 2277 and I`m in late position, the pot is folded to me, I`ll raise. If I have a raise before me, I fold.

The secret is being able to read what the flop has give others.

So, overall, 2 pair `can` be a good hand in Omaha.

Now, if u r talking O8...:rolleyes:

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends which 2 pair. 2299...no no AAKK...yes yes. Aso it depends if you are suited, or even double suited.

i 'd consider what two pair it was.
if there was any suited connectors,if they were high cards.
theres alot to factor into it.
but yes i'd consider two pair a good starting hand in omaha.

These are good answers. Suited is always nice, but AAKK is always nice, even if not suited at all. Also, very big difference if it's H/L. hands like 2299 or even 3388 are an auto-muck, as there are no low OR straight possibilities (a 38 will very rarely be good for a low), as there's a good chance you'll split a pot at best. A 2244, I might play. In Omaha HI OR H/L, there's not much added strength in being suited with low pairs. But if even one of those pairs is high (i.e. KK), there certainly is.

Generally, wildly unconnected pairs are bad drawing hands with very few outs.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd make a small pot building raise with any 2 double pairs 99+ from most positions. The raise pre allows you to get all in by the turn, and you do have a higher likelyhood of hitting the flop exceptionally hard. Obviously, the closer to the button you are, the wider hand range you can raise.

C

Chqm8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How bout if you get 3 of a kind in hand? Thats a killer, especially when your'd rather have that third card on the table.. lol

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How bout if you get 3 of a kind in hand? Thats a killer, especially when your'd rather have that third card on the table.. lol

Sad indeed. Not sure what the experts say on this, but 3 of a kind is an instafold for me. If in late position or SB, and no raises, I would call KKKQ with the Q suited, and hope for a miracle. I've seen people raise with a big set in their hand, no lie.

E

eaglezoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree three of a kind in Omaha is a terrible hand. Two pair can very limiting hands unless as people have explained above there are other factors present which give the hand more possibilities to win other than just make trips. Suitedness, of course, opens the opportunities for getting flushes and if the pairs are connected or gapped, the possibility of getting a straight enters too. Good Luck . ;)

scarby

scarby

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everyone here. It depends on the two pair hand you were dealt and in what position. I read this in Hwang's plo book. If you are dealt a two pair hand in omaha, you will hit a set one out of 4 times. But the only problem here is the set you make. If you are playing the low two pair hand like 3388 and hit a set of three's, your chance of hitting a set over set is greater. You will lose alot of money with this hand. That is why most people will not play a two low pair hand preflop. AAKK is a great hand to play from all positions, but it will depend on your position and preflop action to you for you to decide if you want to raise it up.

3 of kind dealt to me is an instant muck. The only time I might consider it is if it is AAAK with the AK suited or if 8 or better, AAA2. Otherwise, I am waiting for future hands to play.

Scarby

juz2swt

juz2swt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont raise with pckt 2 pair a lot of times I dont even play them. the only time you should play them is if they are double suited and connecting such as QQJJ. you have more possibilites if they are suited and connected..

Y

yankeenut23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
omaha

I'd rather have one big pair and suited or straight draws with the other 2 cards....more chances to win !:D

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two pair is garbage!
You have all of your own outs, and outs are critical in Omaha!
You can only play one, and one pair is never any good.
If you improve to a set, you are still a likely loser.

Throw it away, long term you are better off long term.

-Bill

N

Netthug

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would only play two pair in position for cheap really, and i never play three of a kind, waste of time imo .

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hopefully, you'll find this funny. Just threw away AAA8 or 9 today (8 or 9 not even suited). I know, odds 5% but look what happened.... :eek:

Attachments

• AAA folded.JPG
    AAA folded.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 19